Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area Reply with quote

Wow... probably doesn't even take a week to realise how limiting a 4-stroke 125 is Very Happy

Anyhoo, planning to go for the full licence this summer and I wondered if anyone had recommendations of a good school in the aforementioned area?

What sort of costs should I budget for outside the DVSA's module charges?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:23 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Wow... probably doesn't even take a week to realise how limiting a 4-stroke 125 is Very Happy

That's a rather aspirational comment, rather than a logical one.
Third class bikin' beats first class walkin' any time!
I own a few 4 stroke 125's, and I have to say that capable of the elevated duel-carriageway speed limit, their performance is as much as any-one's allowed to practically use on UK roads.... and the performance limits, yup... set deliberately to give folk 'enough' to go learn, but little enough to make them want more, and encourage them to go get trained and get licence, aren't far wrong for the job....
Meanwhile that's one of the attractions of them. Unlike a big-bike, you dont have to take them so seriousely, and can have a hoot thrashing them for all they are worth.... and actually having to and learn the skill to do it and get the most out of them can be more fun than a big bike that delivers so much more, 'on demand' and can easily leave you feeling the weakest link in the chain, not able to max them out any-where.
Don't blame the bike... it';s doing what it should, and if you cant get all it has to offer, then that's not the bikes fault!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
What sort of costs should I budget for outside the DVSA's module charges?

Go and talk to some instructors. They don't bite. You'll (probably) get asked to book one hour to assess your current ability. They'll let you know an estimate of how much you'll need. They've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of "you" before.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tef said.
My car will do 144 mph, I have a supermoto that leaves me with a massive grin and here I am, contemplating on getting an old 100cc 2T bike!

Great for you for thinking more training (can never have too much) but remember: Smaller bikes can be awesome too.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advantage in Wimbledon and Sutton Motorcycle Training are both decent options, but it depends on the instructor you end up with.

Did CBT at Advantage and DAS with SMT, no reason other than they had an earlier available booking available.

Did 3 day course, two half days were each module, so in reality it was about a day and half of actual training, more may be required depending on your confidence/ability.

They generally prefer to book mod2 a week after mod1 in case you fail as there are charges for cancelling if less notice is given, that's what they said anyway. You can do it the following day provided you agree to pay the additional booking charge if you don't pass mod1.

What was useful was they gave us access to the Mitcham test center on Sunday to practice mod1.

If I remember correctly, it was about £550 all in which was split over 2 payments.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a car licence already (i.e. you have an idea of how a road works), then your learning is going to be mostly about how to control a bike . . . and meet the (sometimes daft) requirements of the tests.

My advice: budget a grand minimum; you'll do it for that (or even maybe slightly less) if you're good, otherwise you'll probably need some extra lessons. As TB said, I'd book it in sooner rather than later too as mod 1 training in the hot summer sun is very uncomfortable! Plus if you learn over the summer, you'll (hopefully) pass at the end of the summer and then you'll be plunged into winter as a "green" rider, or you don't ride over winter unless it's mega mild/dry and then find yourself starting out in the spring feeling very wobbly because you've barely ridden since your test.

Either way, good luck!

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:12 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Phoenix in Crystal Palace are pretty good, you can do a fast access type course with them which when I did it in 2016 was around £500 I think, think it was day 1+2 mod1 and mod2 practise, day 3 mod1 test and mod2 practise, day 4 mod2. if you are fairly decent on the 125 you should pass first time no issues really

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, "the summer" was more about how long it might take me to set aside £500 to a bag Smile

I did my CBT at Ace Motorcycle Training (Ewell Bypass) and that went well enough. I'll compare them to the Sutton and Wimbledon one's mentioned.

Certainly the CBT went well: never ridden a motorbike in my life (50cc scooter @ 17 doesn't count) so went from a wobbly start to my instructor thinking I could probably pass Mod1 the same day! (Note to self: stop blowing your own trumpet... you hurt your back last time.)

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go for the 'cheapest' option. Do your research, recommend from here may help.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw c'mon Travis - you know fine well that by saying that statement you're actually wanting to be slagged off!
Do you stand in custard filled wellington boots and whip yourself with nettles too? You seem to be a sucker for punishment.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes travis, doing 120k miles per year in a taxi doesnt mean you can out perform Marquez on a bike!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
...never ridden a motorbike in my life (50cc scooter @ 17 doesn't count)

Mmm, and how old are you now?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:
...never ridden a motorbike in my life (50cc scooter @ 17 doesn't count)

Mmm, and how old are you now?

30 years on the road and not dead yet!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Cant be from round here then; anything left on the road more than a week, tends to be nicked! Parking cones, give-way-signs, white lines... they had all the drain cover's last week! lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:26 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Child....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1