BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:00 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with electric cars and bikes is the battery status. How many recharges before the battery starts failing, how will it fail and the cost to replace it? What state is it in when buying second hand?

linuxyeti wrote:

Thanks but it only mentions pedal bikes not why better ones are illegal.

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I always think they're just ersewipes who can't be bothered to go and get a proper motorcycle license or even just do the CBT.

We don't have proper motorcycle licensing. It's some garbage our clowns thought up and bounced it off the EU back onto us and made it worse in some ways compared to other European countries.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have to agree with Robby on this stuff.

How many of the people that bemoan about range, and charge rates and infrastructure are going to be crippled by these hands round their neck if they buy an EV? It's almost like they are using the what if I wanna spontaneously go and do X as an argument to justify that EV's are all crap and useless? We can all pull the fantasy what if scenarios out of a hat to justify electric vehicle rage/prejudice. If the same person only uses their 50cc/125cc/650cc etc to trudge to work and back and throw it in the shed after because they don't do leisure biking or are so fucked off with Monday-Friday commutes that they don't go near the roads at the weekend, then it doesn't matter a shit.

Its like me saying I need a 180bhp Suzuki Hayabusa because I really might want to have the option of express 160mph two up touring in France and yet not having a passport or having never ridden further than the local Cafe etc.

As I said, most people that ride bikes and BCF'ers will be daily hacking to work commuter types, or pure shits and giggles weekend toy riders. There's very few that do both, and throw in a couple of round the UK and Europe touring trips every year. As Robby said a two wheeled vehicle does not have to be capable of everything and all the fantasy what if scenarios.

Oh and people going on about charge cycles, and batteries going down the pan after a few years making the vehicles worthless and un-fixable/fit for scrap, well they might just be talking bollocks to a degree.

Car mechanics magazine has recently done an article on buying a first gen EV (car) and they found a 9year old Nissan Leaf with 126'000m on the clock. When the battery capacity was tested they found that it still had 80% of its new charge capacity. Whats more they said it's only really accident damage that'll likely end first gen EV's lives, as there's so little to go wrong mechanically, and apparently the battery packs can be taken apart and cells replaced to re-condition them to as new, like you would an ICE.

Its best for people to have the balls to come out and say "I don't want a gay EV because I'm a die hard petrol head" instead of coming out with very weak arguments against an EV and why it possibly might in some imagined up scenario fall short of their needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:21 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
As I said, most people that ride bikes and BCF'ers will be daily hacking to work commuter types, or pure shits and giggles weekend toy riders. There's very few that do both, and throw in a couple of round the UK and Europe touring trips every year.

Embarassed I'm doing both. And touring this year. But that might be one of the reasons I have 5 bikes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ This x1000.

Who does commutes, touring, track days, and sunny Sunday hooning all on the same bike generally? It's a tiny minority IMO.

But Robby mentioned range anxiety in the context of EV's, and I suppose this is just another thing for young people and life's anxious worrier's to get all worked up about. It'll be the same people that have to fill up their fuel tank at 1/2full as they might otherwise get low on fuel and have a panic attack.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
^ This x1000.

Who does commutes, touring, track days, and sunny Sunday hooning all on the same bike generally? It's a tiny minority IMO.

But Robby mentioned range anxiety in the context of EV's, and I suppose this is just another thing for young people and life's anxious worrier's to get all worked up about. It'll be the same people that have to fill up their fuel tank at 1/2full as they might otherwise get low on fuel and have a panic attack.

To be fair if I got stranded on my commute I could be as far as an hour and 20 minutes away from home. That's a long way to wait for the other half and the trailer... or a long way to get carried in the big truck with the flashy lights.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
^ This x1000.

I think range anxiety is an issue.

OK, I mentioned it in relation a post about long distance touring, but what about medium distance trip?

Let's say I want to go and visit my Granddaughter one sunny Sunday - my scoot does about 120 miles to a tank (similar to decent EV) so at some point in the trip, I will need to fill up. There's quite a few petrol stations on the route, but I don't know how many of them have charging points, although I would guess it's just the big service stations at the moment and I think there's one of those on the way, much nearer my end of the journey than hers.

So where do I top up, because I'm pretty sure if I put in a full charge at that service station, I couldn't get to the kid's house and back on that charge.

Also, filling up with petrol takes 5 minutes, charging takes a minimum of half an hour and that's only for an 80% charge, if I want a full charge, that's adding hours to my journey.

Or I could put £60 in the car and do the whole trip non stop.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Embarassed I'm doing both. And touring this year. But that might be one of the reasons I have 5 bikes...

I'm proper tight-fisted, but even I have 2 bikes.
It's silly to run anything big/fast in the short (4 mile) commute to work. The VFR doesn't warm up, or recharge the energy used from the battery if you have lights on. If the cost was sane, a leccy bke would be good for work. But it isn't, and won't be for a long time. It's not something I would use for any decent distance though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:19 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I'm proper tight-fisted, but even I have 2 bikes.
It's silly to run anything big/fast in the short (4 mile) commute to work. The VFR doesn't warm up, or recharge the energy used from the battery if you have lights on. If the cost was sane, a leccy bke would be good for work. But it isn't, and won't be for a long time. It's not something I would use for any decent distance though.

That's the crux. It has to be cheap enough to be a second bike solely for commuting. While you can buy 50cc scoots new for under a grand you aren't going to sell a lot of 4/5 grand electric ones.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not so much for the 50cc, at 4K, however alot of the 50cc equivalent bikes are at around 2k. Plus, given the fact, for those of a certain age, you can ride a 50cc on a full car license, not have to worry about multiple cbt's or doing the mod1, mod 2 & theory, I can see the appeal.

As for 125 equivalent, then, for pretty the same price of a Jap 125, you can get the Super Soco TC Max ...

62 mph, 60 mile range, makes it a very good 125 alternative.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why don't they sell? Genuine question.

OK, I think they have a long way to go before I'd ever buy one, but as a commuter there are definite plusses. But they still don't sell.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:29 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Then why don't they sell? Genuine question.

They haven't been released yet.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noisiest bikes round my way are 4-stroke 125s fitted with an end can and ridden by youths. I'm not sure even they'd get off on an electric bike.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
If the cost was sane, a leccy bke would be good for work. But it isn't, and won't be for a long time.

It never will be!

If electric vehicles, bikes and cars, are forced onto the masses, (which seems to be what governments are trying to do), how do you think the massive loss of tax revenue, raised from oil based fuel, will be recouped?

IMO, believing that, in the future, motoring will be cheaper, because "electric" is laughable, tax revenues have to be maintained!
Your fully integrated smartphone with wheels will be so easy to track, bang, straight away you're into road pricing.
Those smart meters, that the government are trying to force on us, will come into their own, "Charging your vehicle sir?", "well that electricity is somewhat more expensive than, normal, household electricity, sir".

It's not like they don't have form, is it.
Buy a diesel they said, cheap fuel, better mpg, blah, blah, blah.
Oops, sorry folks, the price of diesel must go up, as must VED and just for fun you can't use it in certain locations and your old car is now worthless!

The electric future is not going to be any cheaper than the current, oil based present!

Revenues must be maintained!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:14 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got fecked by the "buy diesel" Sad

Electric is simple:

Only need 50 mile range at most? Have no money? You could go illegal and commute at 30+ mph... bonus immorality: charge bike at work and save even more!

Need more than 50 miles? Want something legal? Prepare sell your first born child. Prepare to sell second born child after 3 years for new batteries.

Given the power to weight ratio electric motorbikes should be viable for low to medium ranges.

I mean look at what the Chinese are churning out now:

https://i.imgur.com/ljWmnTU.png

or

https://i.imgur.com/qJc1heE.jpg

and this is only the beginning!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bottom one looks like something that you would get in a Lego box Sick

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Prepare sell your first born child. Prepare to sell second born child after 3 years for new batteries.

Why 3 years? Zero guarantee the battery for 5 years, for a kick off. Still relatively early days, but, like some car manufacturers, it may become a case of having the option of leasing the battery, if you choose, instead of owning.

As you point out, the chinese, really, are leading the commuter friendly charge, no pun intended, electric motorbikes, actively encouraged by the chinese government. Also, it's going to be academic soon enough, and, you'll have to go electric whether you like it or not. 2032 isn't that far off in the grand scheme of things, I'll even still be working Sad.

Now, if WK were to bring over the e-colt's more powerful sibling, that could be fun ..

https://www.wkbikes.com/electric-motorbike-ecolt.html

https://www.wkbikes.com/images/2015-MODEL-LAYOUT/MODELS/PAGE/E-COLT.jpg

At the moment, it's only the 50cc equivalent, but even so, at £1899.00 OTR, price wise it's pretty comparable to new ICE 50CC mopeds, slightly more expensive, but not extortionately so..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1900... wow... that's not bad at all. Those ones I posted are £3500 to £4500

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Need more than 50 miles? Want something legal? Prepare sell your first born child. Prepare to sell second born child after 3 years for new batteries.

Given the price tag and the effectiveness of the battery, PCP finance seems pretty ideal for this.
In three years time, get a brand new bike when the tech has moved on a bit. In three more, get another. Rince and repeat until you're happy enough to make the balloon payment and own it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

Given the price tag and the effectiveness of the battery, PCP finance seems pretty ideal for this.
In three years time, get a brand new bike when the tech has moved on a bit. In three more, get another. Rince and repeat until you're happy enough to make the balloon payment and own it.

If they do it for electric vehicles and no one buys the vehicles at the end of the lease they are going to be left with a lot of unsaleable vehicles. Surely that will put lease prices through the roof.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MahatmaAndhi wrote:

If they do it for electric vehicles and no one buys the vehicles at the end of the lease they are going to be left with a lot of unsaleable vehicles. Surely that will put lease prices through the roof.

People will buy them, they would be mad not to, just take a look at the prices - a new Nissan Leaf is around £30K, a 3 year old is retailing for about half that.

That's a pretty poor residual for a £30K car, which will push up the monthly payments on the initial lease (although it's still a much better bet than shelling out the full price) but it makes much more sense to the second renter, assuming you get a comprehensive warranty on the battery pack.

I still don't think now is the time to get into EVs, unless you have money to burn or an overwhelming desire to try (in vain) to save the planet.

The infrastructure isn't there, the tech isn't advanced enough and the outlay is ridiculous.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3