Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

HardlyDavidso...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:54 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area Reply with quote

Wow... probably doesn't even take a week to realise how limiting a 4-stroke 125 is Very Happy

Anyhoo, planning to go for the full licence this summer and I wondered if anyone had recommendations of a good school in the aforementioned area?

What sort of costs should I budget for outside the DVSA's module charges?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:23 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Wow... probably doesn't even take a week to realise how limiting a 4-stroke 125 is Very Happy

That's a rather aspirational comment, rather than a logical one.
Third class bikin' beats first class walkin' any time!
I own a few 4 stroke 125's, and I have to say that capable of the elevated duel-carriageway speed limit, their performance is as much as any-one's allowed to practically use on UK roads.... and the performance limits, yup... set deliberately to give folk 'enough' to go learn, but little enough to make them want more, and encourage them to go get trained and get licence, aren't far wrong for the job....
Meanwhile that's one of the attractions of them. Unlike a big-bike, you dont have to take them so seriousely, and can have a hoot thrashing them for all they are worth.... and actually having to and learn the skill to do it and get the most out of them can be more fun than a big bike that delivers so much more, 'on demand' and can easily leave you feeling the weakest link in the chain, not able to max them out any-where.
Don't blame the bike... it';s doing what it should, and if you cant get all it has to offer, then that's not the bikes fault!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Getting a full licence: north Surrey / SW london area Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
What sort of costs should I budget for outside the DVSA's module charges?

Go and talk to some instructors. They don't bite. You'll (probably) get asked to book one hour to assess your current ability. They'll let you know an estimate of how much you'll need. They've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of "you" before.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tef said.
My car will do 144 mph, I have a supermoto that leaves me with a massive grin and here I am, contemplating on getting an old 100cc 2T bike!

Great for you for thinking more training (can never have too much) but remember: Smaller bikes can be awesome too.

Travis Bickle
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:19 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My riding school done everything for me in terms of booking the tests, all I had to do was the theory (which was done before taking any instruction). Can't remember exactly but I think the theory was around 15-20. Negligible! Needless to say get that out of the way first.

I wanted to be certain I'd pass first time so I went a bit overboard, I hired a 125 from them to scud around on for a few days and get some proper road experience (as I had literally ZERO experience on two wheels at this point, I'd gone straight from CBT to booking my DAS and still hadn't even bought my own 125 yet). The cost was 90 and I THINK they let me have it for a week IIRC (could be wrong on that, could have been 2-3 days or something). But I doubt you'll need to do that as you're clearly riding around on your own 125.

They charged me 150 per day for the training and gave me three days. So that's 450. Mod 1 cost me 165 and Mod 2 cost me 225 but these included having the bike for the day, riding to and from the test centre with the instructor etc. That's not just the cost of the tests on their own it was all inclusive. So yeah, if you do it that way, depending on how many days tuition you book, I think you could be looking at something in the region of 700 to 900 all in.

I know many have done it cheaper but I didn't want the disappointment of failing a test. I managed to pass everything else first time and I didn't want this to scupper my 100% record LOL. I have to say though, I found this required far more concentration and could possibly be described as harder than doing my HGV and PSV licenses. The HGV and PSV just came far more naturally to me. I guess that's because I've been driving on four wheels for a long time and can do it in my sleep (and sometimes do!). Whereas on the bike you've got to balance etc. the whole experience is completely different.

I'd recommend Mid Kent Motorcycle Training for anyone in the Kent area but I think that's probably a bit far for you.

Last edited by Travis Bickle on 19:59 - 26 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Travis Bickle
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:24 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh another thing I would recommend if possible is not wait until summer. Do it in the spring so book it up ASAP if you have the funds. I done my CBT in the spring which was fine but by the time I came to do my DAS we were having a heat wave, that's fine all the time you're out riding but being stuck on the pad / having talks with the instructor and doing manoeuvres on the pad etc... Not much fun when you're all geared up in leathers etc. I really struggled. Nearly passed out one day sat round a table listening to one really boring instructor drone on and on about some obvious shit. Dunno if it was the boredom or the heat (probably a combination of both). But yeah, don't do it in the height of summer if you can help it. Avoid July and August if you can. September/October would be a second best choice if you can't get it booked before June.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advantage in Wimbledon and Sutton Motorcycle Training are both decent options, but it depends on the instructor you end up with.

Did CBT at Advantage and DAS with SMT, no reason other than they had an earlier available booking available.

Did 3 day course, two half days were each module, so in reality it was about a day and half of actual training, more may be required depending on your confidence/ability.

They generally prefer to book mod2 a week after mod1 in case you fail as there are charges for cancelling if less notice is given, that's what they said anyway. You can do it the following day provided you agree to pay the additional booking charge if you don't pass mod1.

What was useful was they gave us access to the Mitcham test center on Sunday to practice mod1.

If I remember correctly, it was about 550 all in which was split over 2 payments.

ThunderGuts
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:32 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a car licence already (i.e. you have an idea of how a road works), then your learning is going to be mostly about how to control a bike . . . and meet the (sometimes daft) requirements of the tests.

My advice: budget a grand minimum; you'll do it for that (or even maybe slightly less) if you're good, otherwise you'll probably need some extra lessons. As TB said, I'd book it in sooner rather than later too as mod 1 training in the hot summer sun is very uncomfortable! Plus if you learn over the summer, you'll (hopefully) pass at the end of the summer and then you'll be plunged into winter as a "green" rider, or you don't ride over winter unless it's mega mild/dry and then find yourself starting out in the spring feeling very wobbly because you've barely ridden since your test.

Either way, good luck!

bigdom86
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:12 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Phoenix in Crystal Palace are pretty good, you can do a fast access type course with them which when I did it in 2016 was around 500 I think, think it was day 1+2 mod1 and mod2 practise, day 3 mod1 test and mod2 practise, day 4 mod2. if you are fairly decent on the 125 you should pass first time no issues really

HardlyDavidso...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:19 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, "the summer" was more about how long it might take me to set aside 500 to a bag Smile

I did my CBT at Ace Motorcycle Training (Ewell Bypass) and that went well enough. I'll compare them to the Sutton and Wimbledon one's mentioned.

Certainly the CBT went well: never ridden a motorbike in my life (50cc scooter @ 17 doesn't count) so went from a wobbly start to my instructor thinking I could probably pass Mod1 the same day! (Note to self: stop blowing your own trumpet... you hurt your back last time.)

Kentol750
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:58 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go for the 'cheapest' option. Do your research, recommend from here may help.

Travis Bickle
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Note to self: stop blowing your own trumpet...

Yeah I was completely fucking slagged and slated for doing that when I was new on here (well I still am new compared to most community contributors) so you do need to be careful not to upset a few characters. Apparently it's not the done thing to come on here and say that you believe yourself to be in the top 1% of drivers because you've been doing 120k miles per year for the last 13 years and have accumulated more driving experience by the age of 34 than most people do in a lifetime. That, I have learned, is being conceited to say so, even if it's factual.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw c'mon Travis - you know fine well that by saying that statement you're actually wanting to be slagged off!
Do you stand in custard filled wellington boots and whip yourself with nettles too? You seem to be a sucker for punishment.

Travis Bickle
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Don't go for the 'cheapest' option. Do your research, recommend from here may help.

I'd echo this. As ThunderGuts said best budget for a grand, not 500. If you have nearly half left over that's a bonus.

As I said, when I done mine, I was happy to spend a few extra hundred quid to get enough training to pretty much guarantee being test-ready. Maybe could have got away with doing one day less training etc. but if I'd failed the test it would have cost me more in the long run plus being disappointed.

Kentol750
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes travis, doing 120k miles per year in a taxi doesnt mean you can out perform Marquez on a bike!

Travis Bickle
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:16 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Aw c'mon Travis - you know fine well that by saying that statement you're actually wanting to be slagged off!
Do you stand in custard filled wellington boots and whip yourself with nettles too? You seem to be a sucker for punishment.

Laughing yes you're right. Secretly I love it. I am a narcissistic masochist.

Travis Bickle
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:18 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Yes travis, doing 120k miles per year in a taxi doesnt mean you can out perform Marquez on a bike!

When I came up with that statement I wasn't talking about biking skill. When challenged I was the first to admit I was a complete fucking noob on two wheels and that anyone on a 250cc would probably out-do me on a 1000cc. I was talking about road observation, driving ability on 4 wheels etc. NOT being able to thrash any other biker round a race track.

Oh no I've dug it all up again. Should've let sleeping dog lie Laughing

When I start to dig a hole for myself I just keep right on digging!

Kentol750
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:51 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
...never ridden a motorbike in my life (50cc scooter @ 17 doesn't count)

Mmm, and how old are you now?

HardlyDavidso...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:33 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:
...never ridden a motorbike in my life (50cc scooter @ 17 doesn't count)

Mmm, and how old are you now?

30 years on the road and not dead yet!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Cant be from round here then; anything left on the road more than a week, tends to be nicked! Parking cones, give-way-signs, white lines... they had all the drain cover's last week! lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Child....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1