Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Goodbye VFR, hello R1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:20 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Goodbye VFR, hello R1 Reply with quote

Traded in my VFR yesterday, after 5 months and 10,000 miles I had to say goodbye to it - needed something exciting.

Each weekend that came around there was just no thought of taking the VFR out because well, it was great from getting from A to B but making you feel alive - not a chance. Good commuter though and it never let me down, and cracking build quality.

Just need some dry roads now...

https://i.imgur.com/VwNflqi.png

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very tidy ! How much ? Is it on 04 ?

Wish I could do the position on a sports, but even sitting on them hurts lol

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Goodbye VFR, hello R1 Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Traded in my VFR yesterday, after 5 months and 10,000 miles I had to say goodbye to it - needed something exciting.

10,000 miles in 5 months, that's some going, i hope you find the R1 comfortable enough to be doing that sort of mileage, looks tidy though

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:05 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep 5PW 2003-2004 first injection model.

First job is to get rid of those red (pink??) anodised bolts, someone has gone wild with them

First bike with an immobiliser, it has a META one not sure which model. Do you think it should be removed or left alone?

It's my first bike with an immobiliser, have heard quite a few horror stories online about them being more of a pain in the ass for the owner than a byke lyfe.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar with my VFR800, it felt very capable, certainly capable of hustling through lanes quicker than I could make it. The thing is, even when out for a blast and really pushing on, it never really properly made me smile.

To top it off it was thirsty, and not particularly comfortable either.

In comparison to the 1st gen Fazer 600 that followed it, night and day. The fazer made my daily commute a joy.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Yep 5PW 2003-2004 first injection model.

First job is to get rid of those red (pink??) anodised bolts, someone has gone wild with them

First bike with an immobiliser, it has a META one not sure which model. Do you think it should be removed or left alone?

It's my first bike with an immobiliser, have heard quite a few horror stories online about them being more of a pain in the ass for the owner than a byke lyfe.

5PW is 2002-2003.
Good choice! I have one in blue.

My Meta 357T put out a cloud of smoke when disarmed in probably its 12th year. I bypassed the DataTool on my ZX6R when it died at a similar age but with the R1 I took the lazy option and just plugged in a replacement 357T unit from the manufacturer.

Oh, it looks like the plug-in replacement is no longer available, but they do a bypass plug for £30 (assuming yours is a 375T v2).

https://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/meta-m35-range-bike-alarm-bypass-plug.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:25 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:

First job is to get rid of those red (pink??) anodised bolts, someone has gone wild with them.

The red anodised coating is very thin, it will wash off in a few seconds immersed in a caustic soda solution. Then you have silver alloy bolts.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:07 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
B0ndy wrote:

First job is to get rid of those red (pink??) anodised bolts, someone has gone wild with them.

The red anodised coating is very thin, it will wash off in a few seconds immersed in a caustic soda solution. Then you have silver alloy bolts.

Thanks, that will save a few quid Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to be cautious with the caustic, nitrile gloves and eye protection. I built a mountain bike recently and noticed the black anodised parts were cheaper than the silver ones.

I made up a plastic bowl of caustic. swilled the componants in it until they went silver then dropped thim into a bucket of cold wateer to stop the reaction. Remember if you leave thm in too long, they will dissolve. You're effectively dissolving the microns-thick layer of coloured aluminium oxide on the surface of them.

Always add the caustic to water, never water to caustic. It gives out a lot of heat as it dissolves.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice example of a 5PW R1.Several friends have the silver/grey version and they were the most popular back in its day.

Have a look on www.yamahar.co.uk as there is quite often a group rideout in the south-east that I organise every now and again.

Should you think that you have a problem with the alarm,a friend runs a mobile business installing and servicing mainly bike but also commercial vehicle alarms and resides near Rochester.

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1