Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT or Theory Test - which first?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: CBT or Theory Test - which first? Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

So it seems that you can choose whether you do your CBT or Theory Test first. Is there any benefit in doing the one over the other first?

I had a go at a test theory test and there were a few questions which it seems is covered in the classroom stuff of the CBT, so it might be useful to do the CBT first.
Otherwise I've watched a few videos of what to expect in a CBT and one of them shows a competent rider who has already passed his theory, heading out on the roads (under supervision) on a big bike straight after doing his CBT.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point in doing your theory test unless you plan to get your licence as a pass only lasts for two years. Also if your theory expires midway through getting your licence, after Mod 1 but before you've passed Mod 2 then you have to start again Neutral

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have said that I plan to get the whole A1 licence in under two years (hope to get done in around six months), so having the theory expire shouldn't be an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

General advice IIRC is to read and understand the highway code -- various road markings, signs and how to operate a roundabout etc -- before attending your C.B.T, but most people that attend the course probably don't even do that.

CBT > Theory > Full License.

Also AM/A1 is the most pointless full license category in existence. Wait until your 19 to do your A2 or if 19 do A2, and if 24 do A.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Also AM/A1 is the most pointless full license category in existence. Wait until your 19 to do your A2 or if 19 do A2, and if 24 do A.

They're in their 40's but I agree no point doing the A1 licence.

OP a theory pass won't change how the school perceive you, you have a car licence anyway so they know you're not a total noob on the roads. With your driving and off-road riding experience I'd go straight for a DAS* course... maybe when it's a bit warmer Smile

*which you do need a theory pass for

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a valid CBT to show before you take a theory test, no valid cbt, no theory test, no money back.. simples..

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
General advice IIRC is to read and understand the highway code -- various road markings, signs and how to operate a roundabout etc -- before attending your C.B.T, but most people that attend the course probably don't even do that.

CBT > Theory > Full License.

Ignore that..

Pre 2001, you can ride a 50cc moped/motorbike restricted to 28mph, without even a cbt, and why not, that might be all you need, especially if you're just taking it on the back of a camper !.

Again, if you want to ride, and you're 16, then, yes, get a 50 and enjoy riding and building your experience up, that's what my nephew has done, and what my daughter is currently doing, absolutely no reason whatsoever to wait until you're 19, what a ridiculous comment.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Need a valid CBT to show before you take a theory test, no valid cbt, no theory test, no money back.. simples..

Err... 'You can take the theory test before or after you’ve taken compulsory basic training (CBT).'

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Again, if you want to ride, and you're 16, then

M.C wrote:
They're in their 40's

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:54 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no difference which you do first.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Err... 'You can take the theory test before or after you’ve taken compulsory basic training (CBT).'

Ok, must have changed, but, when my nephew did his motorbike theory test, he had to show a valid CVBT certificate

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT - best simple starter and a trial just in case you decide you hate bikes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
M.C wrote:

Ok, must have changed, but, when my nephew did his motorbike theory test, he had to show a valid CVBT certificate

I don't remember that ever being a thing but whatever Razz I think you're meant to bring your CBT cert' to your Mod 1 test but I don't recall them checking mine, or the theory test bit of paper certificate, maybe cos I was with a school and they assumed everything was in order.

Obviously you bring it all just in case.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Had to show mine when I redid my test. Nov '16.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:56 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT is Compulsary-Basic-Training... its your first lesson, and often a bit of an eye-opener, and many do not complet in the day, with just 8-hours.... quite a few, walk away before lunch-time......

Some just don't like it when they actually try it. Others find it isn't the walk in the park they presumed, and some 'just' find that they cant ride a bike....

So that is where I'd recommend you start. Do the CBT, get a 'little' learning and hands-on know-how. Find out if you DO actually enjoy it, can actually hack it, and a better idea whether bikes is actually the solution to whatever you hope for....

Then.... that little bit of learning done.... IF you want to carry on; read the high-way-code... do you still get sent one with your provisional licence when you apply for it? Have you actually done that yet? If not that's the first step. But IF you get on at CBT, read the HWC, maybe get the practice discs for the motorcycle, take note, motorcycle, hazard & theory.... questions on the computer game aren't exactly the same as the test for a car theory; work with the practice tests until you are scoring consistently over 90% (used to be 33 out of 35, but I dont know how many q's they set thee days) THEN go book the Theory/Haz test.....

Theory/Haz was always the googlie that held folk up to take tests, when you could test on a 125 for a RWYL licence, dont think that's changed much.... so it's best done ASAP, as it is often a pre-qual to be taken onto a course for a DAS test.... I know, you want to do A1.

Which offers some small dilemma; If doing it DAS ways, then the recommended route would be CBT, then hazard, then course, then tests. If doing A1 the DIY way.... you can go solo on the roads as soon as you have the DL196 in your pocket for taking the CBT..... NOW.... the Theory bit of the test is fine, its know it or you dont, learn by rote chunks of the high-way-code, and the St Johns ambulance manual...

Y-e-r-s... LITTLE Ben-Elton "oooh-political! Satire!" here... you have to be a part of the Black-Adder generation to 'get' that BTW..... but, it IS something of a niggle I have; the Theory test used to be do you know the stopping distances, and what the street signs mean.... like stuff you actually need to know to use the roads.... when our Snowie came to do her tests, I gave her the Theory/Haz practice discs for X-mas... and then told her off for playing farce-broke 'Hospital' on her lap top instead..... and then had to apologise! WHY in gawds name do we need to know how many chest compression you should give to some-one who has had a heart attack to ride a chuffing motorbike?!?!?! There is a SHED load of PC indoctrination in there these days along with that medical chit, which I think is an attempt to combine making the tests harder to keep folk off the road.... and helping out the beleaguered and underfunded NHS.... but still.....

Interesting observation, if you are still in school, and or under 25, and or never used a motor-vehicle on the queens highway... you actually stand a better chance of passing the Theory/Haz-pep than som-one that has.... especially the hazard perception bit... its just a school-pop-quiz and computer game..... if you are more mature and a more experienced motorist? Well... they have a habit of changing stuff, and asking daft questions like what's a puffin crossing.... of which there's only one in the entire country.... and which 'enviro-mental' reasons make it better to use a tram..... Rolling Eyes Whilst the Haz pep? Well... it bears little or no relation to reality..... First time I did a mock, I never spotted anything in anyt of the clips I would deem a 'hazard'... its just 'stuff' you deal with on the roads every day, a million times a day, and have dealt with before you consciously even think about it! Hence never 'click'... get past that, and remember that the DSA programmers deem anything that 'may' need you to change speed or direction to be a 'hazard'... you click like crazy, three minutes before the programmers click-window' and then get failed for clicking too early, not at all of clicking like mad 'cos it don't seem to be working!!!!

Fresh-faced school kids on the other hand... 'seem' to have an easier time with this, weened on nintendo and x-box, and still used to PC teacher's class-room pop-quizes, and the disclaimer from the movies that any reflection on real life, is entirely co-incidental.......

HENCE... if you do CBT first, and then go-it-alone on the roads for a bit, you are likely to 'learn' old-hand habits that will make passing the Theory/hazard harder.... so doing it first might be easier.... but..

Meanwhile... before CBT, and finding out whether a) you actually like riding bikes, and b) whether you actually can.... DONT spend any more than you absolutely have to.... and Theory/Haz is something you dont have to pay for straight away.

For the actual CBT.... you dont need an awful lot more than your provisional licence, and the time. Check with school, though, you are often advised to buy your own helmet and gloves and wear sensible shes for it..... and FAR too many, turn up to thier first lesson, in a 'My-First-Motorbike' outfit, having splurged hundreds on the jacket and trousers and boots as well as hat and gloves..... which can be all rather wasted, if they dont get the DL196 at the end of the day... and it certainly makes one of the class-room lessons when you get the pep-talk and discussion on choosing and buying apropriate motorbike aparel, rather redundant.... as well as make you question the wisdom of whether you really needed those £90 boots, and it was such a good idea to scrimp a bit on the gloves to get them....

See links in sig-line for more; but..... we are talking strategy here, and common sense says do CBT as a taster; SEE if you get on with it and can do it, then take it from there, if you want to carry on, THEN invest more time and money in the deal, like in the kit you need or want, or the Theory/Hazard, IF you do take to it and want to carry on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:24 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/H3kho8z.png

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I self booked and took my theory and hazard perception tests first, then via a training school I did my CBT (which
I completed on a Fazer 600) then straight onto DAS training and mods 1+2.

ljw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:49 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As other have said, no legal requirement to do one before the other..

But, if you're going to be booking an intensive DAS courses (or whatever license category) with the test at the end, the school will probably want you to have done your theory before they taking the booking.

Depending on how near your closest theory test center is and how booked up they are and how busy you are, you may want to just crack on with it. I ended up waiting quite a few weeks to get a slot I could make. Depends how much of a hurry you're in I guess...

Also, I found it worth paying for the DVSA practice test stuff (somewhere on this site https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/). Not so much for the questions section but the hazard awareness. It's nonsense --- doesn't seem any way related to actual road-sense to me --- more like a game, but it helped to know how the game worked beforehand.

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that I would give an update / feedback.

I decided to do my theory test before my CBT and in my particular circumstances (long-time off-road rider and car driver), I am certain that this was the right way around.

It is 30 years since I took my car driving test and the revision for the theory test was really useful. It was surprising how much I had forgotten from driving around in the protective metal box that is a car. The literature for the bike theory test is good as it focuses on safety for bikers.

Having all that knowledge recently replanted into my head, meant that I could concentrate on watching out for the other idiot road users and improving my on road riding skills.

Also found this to be invaluable advice vvvvvv

ljw wrote:
Also, I found it worth paying for the DVSA practice test stuff (somewhere on this site https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/). Not so much for the questions section but the hazard awareness. It's nonsense --- doesn't seem any way related to actual road-sense to me --- more like a game, but it helped to know how the game worked beforehand.

Onto the Mod 1 now !
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

martin0642
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:41 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did (for what it's worth).... I gather OP is over 24?

I'm 53 - I did my Theory test last year (Dec).

Then went and did my DAS course at Mallory Park, that included the CBT.

A combination of lots of things (especially nerves) meant I didn't do it in 5 days as planned....but I did do it the following week. So nine days in total including two test days.

Best thing I ever did Very Happy

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about doing my theory and ended up waiting ages to get a theory test date which put back my getting a license by months. So just get the theory out of the way. Its easy enough just use a swatting app on your phone to mock test youirself for a few weeks.

Vis-a-vis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:53 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: CBT/Theory test sequence Reply with quote

I endorse Teflon Mike's view.

I'm a car driver and did my CBT first then the theory. I don't think it matters too much which way you do it. However I got sound advice about the Hazard perception bit from my A2Z trainers.

If you do the CBT first then as TF says you can decide if you want to ride in the first place.

If you can afford it apply for both and see which comes first.

Joe
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1