Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Philosophical or protected belief?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:23 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Philosophical or protected belief? Reply with quote

So, i heard on the radio today that "ethical veganism" is currently going through the courts in an attempt to be recognised as a "philosophical or protected belief". This would effectively give it the same status as a religion in terms of equality laws.

To qualify for this it has to show itself "worthy of respect in a democratic society, not being incompatible with human dignity and not conflicting with fundamental rights of others."

I would therefore like to propose active secularism for this category.

I genuinely believe that organised religion of any sort is responsible for many of the problems and intolerance in our society. It is my belief that people should be allowed to hold whatever religious views or belief they wish BUT at the point where they chose to impose or press those views or beliefs on others unasked for, they have crossed a boundry.

There is legal protection from discrimination against a person based on their religious belief. Should there not be an equal protection against a religious person descriminating against someone else based simply on their own belief?

This would include acts like commenting/criticising another persons lifestyle or habits in the context of a religious cannon. Refusing to employ an atheist ahnd making special allowances for people of a particular religion without making those allowances available to everyone.

Before he even starts. This counts JUST as much for obnoxious Christians as it does for obnoxious Muslims. Yes I eat pork. Yes, I work on a Sunday. No I haven't found Jesus and you have offended my be evben asking. It's verbal spam. I don't go round asking people if they have discovered the benefits of acting within their own moral compass without having one imposed upon them by an archaic system of deity worship.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Philosophical or protected belief? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I would therefore like to propose active secularism for this category.

I genuinely believe that organised religion of any sort is responsible for many of the problems and intolerance in our society. It is my belief that people should be allowed to hold whatever religious views or belief they wish BUT at the point where they chose to impose or press those views or beliefs on others unasked for, they have crossed a boundry.

Amen to that!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start a trial run on protection from cults... see how it goes.

Joey Biscuits knocked on my door the other day. Not at home mind you but my office. Talk about fecking desperate!

"We'd like to invite you to a memorial service next Friday"

"Oh yes, who died, anyone I know?"

"Yes... Jesus."

Nice opening gambit, very clever....

"Oh, you mean Easter!"

Lol... anyhoo, I said I'd love them to tell me all about it but with the caveat of not referencing the bible in any way which kept the conversation very short!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd miss the local JWs. I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but round our way they always come in twos - one older, dapper man who does all the talking and some young totty who keeps quiet and blushes whenever I start with the double-entendres...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sorry can't talk, I'm meeting my weed guy in 10 mins" is usually enough to rid me of most door to door zealotry.
Although Labour sent one of their drones round today half way through me trimming my beard. No doubt on the campaign
trail for the imminent local elections, had I not been halfway through a trim I'd have kept her on the doorstep for a
while, I really enjoy telling these people why I won't be voting for them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:03 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our company is a Christian company! (apparently a good thing).

We don't employ any Jews. (apparently not a good thing, yet at the same time, the same thing).

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Philosophical or protected belief? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Before he even starts. This counts JUST as much for obnoxious Christians as it does for obnoxious Muslims. Yes I eat pork. Yes, I work on a Sunday. No I haven't found Jesus and you have offended my be evben asking. It's verbal spam. I don't go round asking people if they have discovered the benefits of acting within their own moral compass without having one imposed upon them by an archaic system of deity worship.

Don't worry Stinkwheel, Jesus WILL find YOU.

Shocked

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Philosophical or protected belief? Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
Don't worry Stinkwheel, Jesus WILL find YOU.

Shocked

And if he doesn't get his fiver back you're getting a plague of boils pal.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWs stopped coming to my door after the day I stood there leering at a woman whilst the others chatted away. I simply did the dirty doorstep pervert thing and they never came back.

It does annoy me that they prey on certain people - the elderly for example. It's not so much because the elderly are still mostly into all that, it's more because they're often too nice to say no.

Here's my annoyance though: My street has old folks bungalows one side (disabled younger folk live there too) and family detached houses the other. Those JWs only knock at the bungalows doors. They know fine well that the people living in the bungalows are frail, poorly etc. They continue knocking until they get a response. It's actually hurting those residents to answer their doors - hurting or aggravating their health conditions. Yes I've confronted them over this but to be honest I have no say in where they knock..

My family had a massive run-in with the sally army. My grandma had dementia and would be 'visited' by sally army folk. Grandma was religious so we didn't mind. It gave her company too.
When grandma died, it turned out that all of the family heir looms had gone - we didn't know because she had them locked away. Grandads medals and other documents, never mind leaving her skint. She'd had money but it was gone by her death and we had to pay for the burial.
The sally army were confronted but with no witnesses and their denials, we didn't win.

I have a deep hatred of religion. It's obvious what it actually is and of course a government is going to side with one. It's another way for them to lay laws and control the masses.
I still find it staggering that some of the most intelligent people out there believe in a book that's been re-written hundreds of times and is simply fabricated bullshit that overrides previous beliefs.

Damn I'm angry now!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Philosophical or protected belief? Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
Jesus WILL find YOU. Shocked

He has a very particular set of skills... Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one for the god-botherers...

If we destroy all the books in existence with a snap of the fingers in a thousand years the bible, Qu'ran etc. won't come back. All the science textbooks will.

(Thanks, Ricky Gervais!)

Better to view them as historical cultural wisdom (stealing is bad, m'kay) which may or may not date well and be relevant today.

Religion is just there to keep the weak willed and stupid ppl in check - which is fine and as it should be. All the problems start with the "smart" ppl running the show. Power corrupts and all that jazz.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Start a trial run on protection from cults... see how it goes.

Joey Biscuits knocked on my door the other day. Not at home mind you but my office. Talk about fecking desperate!

"We'd like to invite you to a memorial service next Friday"

"Oh yes, who died, anyone I know?"

"Yes... Jesus."

Nice opening gambit, very clever....

"Oh, you mean Easter!"

Lol... anyhoo, I said I'd love them to tell me all about it but with the caveat of not referencing the bible in any way which kept the conversation very short!

I find the best approach is to go for these questions.

1. How old is Earth? 4 billion years, any billion figure will do, but anything in the thousands range will not.
2. Do you practice Gay marriages? Feel free to make up an imaginary husband. Say Mo was bisexual if you are feeling brave.
3. God of the gaps. He exists in dark matter now probably Laughing Quite a change from being just above the clouds. The God of the Abrahamic religions is in full blown retreat with his legions of Christian Tory women voters, Orthodox Jews and Islamic suicide bombers.

I had a religionist ask me to read the Bible and suggested I start in the middle, I said that's not how a book works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
...I had a religionist ask me to read the Bible and suggested I start in the middle, I said that's not how a book works.

Religionist... that made me chuckle.

A case of the sequel [testament] being better than the first!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:25 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your workplace starts going heavily into that sort of thing, you can always play them at their own game.

This is why I was Jewish for about 4 years. It started off as a way of making sure the office tea club provided the biscuits I like (I told them jaffa cakes and ginger nuts were kosher). It was shift work, but I didn't have to do friday evening or saturday anymore.

Best bit, there was a lot of talk about respecting religions, and a few warnings, but no actual training or guidance for when people were taking the piss (like me). So no-one wanted to pull me up on it. Don't ask questions, you might offend by mistake.

Vegans can piss of though. Their culture does not provide me with food or jokes.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If your workplace starts going heavily into that sort of thing, you can always play them at their own game.

This is why I was Jewish for about 4 years. It started off as a way of making sure the office tea club provided the biscuits I like (I told them jaffa cakes and ginger nuts were kosher). It was shift work, but I didn't have to do friday evening or saturday anymore.

Best bit, there was a lot of talk about respecting religions, and a few warnings, but no actual training or guidance for when people were taking the piss (like me). So no-one wanted to pull me up on it. Don't ask questions, you might offend by mistake.

Vegans can piss of though. Their culture does not provide me with food or jokes.

I was asked if I was a JW not long after starting, and upon answering no, was treated to a rather sweary description of them Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:20 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH JWs, Born Again Christians, Muslim Fanatics... they all scare me for the same reason:

Look into their eyes there's nothing there any more. Like soulless husks Sad

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
TBH JWs, Born Again Christians, Muslim Fanatics... they all scare me for the same reason:

They look past you - sorta half through the side of your head. They have this happy airy smile too.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because they know lots that you don't and have a holy insurance policy that (other than JW's Nos. 100,000 onwards...) you will never have unless you join the club. Remember, them knocking on your door is doing you a favour!

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXP7Cbvodw

It seems a lot of the youtube vegan types are giving up as, shock horror our body's need meat.
It seems the vegan lifestyle can be really bad for your health.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

At least the Muslim fanatics aren't trying to smash my front door out of its frame every Saturday morning Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1