Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Street Twin, Scrambler, Guzzi V7 or F800r -Another what bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

davidmv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:04 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Street Twin, Scrambler, Guzzi V7 or F800r -Another what bike Reply with quote

Hi every one, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or this question’s already been asked. Haven’t found it though.

I’m from Spain (Madrid), and preparing my A2 license. For the last 10 years I’ve been commuting with a Suzuki Burgman 125. Then I thought I wanted to have ABS, and tried the new 125cc’s available. Which was frustrating (in terms of price and specs). So I decided to go for the licence and search a bigger scooter. But... yes, I don’t really like them. So if I’m going to spend 6 or 7 grand on one, why not going for a “real” bike. And use it also on some week-ends. I know it’s all very different, and they are very different.

So far, I’ve sat on a BMW F800r, which felt a bit too big and tall for me. To it’s advantage, it is the most powerful (for the future, when I have no restrictions). It retails at 10.000€

Then I’ve also sat on a Street Twin (10.000€), that felt absolutely perfect. Size and weight were perfect. The new model has 65HP and 80Nm, which seems “reasonable” if I may say. I’ve also sat on the Street Scrambler (11.000€), same mechanics, which is gorgeous! However, the high exhaust does not seem a good idea for the summer in Madrid.

And I came accross the Moto Guzzi (10.000€) -which I have’t seen yet. Its transmission and the 6th speed go to its advantage compared to the Triumph, but it is less powerful. Will I get tired of it?
(The Speed twin and the Scrambler 1200 are not able to be limited in Spain, so out of my reach).
Or maybe I should check the Honda CB650 R Neo Sports Cafe (8.000€)? The 4 cylinder seem attractive...

As you can see, I’m a bit confused. I know I have to test ride them (easy here, by the way). But in the meantime any ideas, links, opinions, are more than welcome. Whatever your input is, it is welcome.

Thanks for reading!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:27 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st - Get your license before buying.

2nd - Don't buy your 1st big bike new. You haven't got anything other than a scooter to reference from. You'll change your mind several times between now and when you buy it, guaranteed. If you want to sell it, 2nd hand gives you far less of a hit. You're also new to big bikes, and more likely to throw it up the road. This is easier to swallow if it's a cheaper used bike.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is logic in waiting to see what you want . . . but that said, I don't think you're likely to disappointed by a good bike anyway as it'll be a massive step up from what you've ridden previously.

I bought my Street Twin (not new though) for my first bike; it's great really and does pretty much everything I want to. It's certainly friendly enough as a first bike (can't comment on the others you mention) and mine's a 2017 model so "only" 54bhp, but honestly I think that's plenty for a new rider. Winding the throttle open in 3rd and even from 25mph it hauls like a train to 80mph at which point it requests the next cog.

My only remark is that compared with my ER5, the Street Twin needs a bit more effort to push it around corners. It's not that it isn't capable of doing it, but it seems to resist a bit where as the ER5 seems to fall into the corners much more easily.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1