Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spanish License Laws

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:16 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Spanish License Laws Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am moving to Spain for 18 months and was wondering if anyone knew what the requirements are for riding a bike in Spain. Obviously it depends on age and the bike so, I am 25, have a full car license, and would be wanting something small. I love the idea of a Yamaha SR250, but would ride a 125 if it was easier.

I don't have a CBT but am thinking of doing one soon. As in in the coming weeks. But I don't think the CBT actually shows on your license or is valid abroad? I would have to do the A1 test instead?

As I am 25, I could go straight to a A license. But lessons look expensive and I've heard its easier to pass the A1 than the full A test?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Spanish License Laws Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
But I don't think the CBT actually shows on your license or is valid abroad? I would have to do the A1 test instead?

As far as I am aware, provisional licences are not valid abroad.

CorriganJ wrote:

As I am 25, I could go straight to a A license. But lessons look expensive and I've heard its easier to pass the A1 than the full A test?

It's the same test. Unless you're so tiny you struggle to push a full-size bike, the full A is as easy as the A1.

davidmv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:41 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, very quickly:
1. Given that you are 25, if you’ve had your car license for more than 3 years, you’re authorised to drive a 125cc bike.
2. No, you can’t go for the full A in Spain directly. You first have to get an A2 license that will allow you to drive a bike that has under 47bhp. 2 years later, you may opt for the full A.

Welcome to Spain anyway.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Spanish License Laws Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Hey guys, I am moving to Spain for 18 months and was wondering if anyone knew what the requirements are for riding a bike in Spain.

Learning and getting licensed in Spain is complicated and expensive - don't bother.
You will need your green residency card, you will need to enrol at a driving school (only driving schools can book tests for you), you will need to pass a medical, and you will need to pass more than 2 modules.
Needless to say, your Spanish language skills had better be good.

Quote:
Obviously it depends on age and the bike so, I am 25, have a full car license, and would be wanting something small. I love the idea of a Yamaha SR250, but would ride a 125 if it was easier.

Easiest and cheapest way: get a full cat A licence here, before you move.

Quote:
I don't have a CBT but am thinking of doing one soon. As in in the coming weeks. But I don't think the CBT actually shows on your license or is valid abroad? I would have to do the A1 test instead?

The CBT is only recognised in the UK. It's not worth the paper it's written on in any other country.
Why waste time with an A1 licence? Do a DAS over here first.

Quote:

Who told you this, and what's the basis for their claim? It's false.
The tests are the same for both the full A1 and the full A tests. Only the bikes you use on the test are different.

Just book your DAS and pass your tests here, before you move to Spain. This is going to be the cheapest and most hassle-free way for you.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:23 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps!

To clarify, I meant that yes, I would do my DAS here before I go and get my full, unrestricted A licence. I don't fancy doing my theory test in Spanish for a start...

I've heard that A1 is easier just because of the size of the bikes - it's easier to handle a 125 than a 600cc bike. Maybe that is not such a big difference though. I always thought that actually the emergency stop would be harder on a smaller bike - harder to get to speed, and then (usually) shitty brakes.

DavidMV, you said that after 3 years of having a car licence I can ride a 125? That is good news! Where did you get this information please? Smile

If so, I would still do my CBT even though it is worthless (hopefully I would gain some basic knowledge to help keep myself from under someone elses tyres, and also, it lasts 2 years, so I could continue to ride when I return to the UK/use it to pass my full test). But I probably would not do the DAS yet.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're completely useless at operating the throttle, bigger bikes are in many ways easier to ride than a 125.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing easier on a 125 compared with a big bike it moving the thing around by hand when you're not on it; otherwise like for like the bigger bikes are no harder and when it comes to higher speed riding, they're much easier and more stable. Remember that both the 125s and the "big bikes" you'd do DAS on are typically going to be similar styles of bikes (broadly speaking), i.e. relatively easy to flat foot, no wacky wheel sizes, pegs roughly in the same place and once you're moving the weight all but disappears.

+1 on doing DAS here, not sure on what the licence requirements are when abroad. When I was doing my DAS, there was a Spanish guy who now lived in the UK and he was having to do his full A licence even though he had a full Spanish licence so I don't know if there are restrictions on transferring licences if you're there for longer than the "visitor" duration, whatever that is.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:41 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Will look at doing my DAS then. I've wanted to for a while, but the cost is putting me off.

davidmv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:06 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

DavidMV, you said that after 3 years of having a car licence I can ride a 125? That is good news! Where did you get this information please? Smile

I’m Spanish, live in Madrid, have a driving license and ride a 125cc...
Very Happy

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:28 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidmv wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:

Very Happy

Vale!! Very Happy Very Happy Are there any restrictions such as BHP as well as being a 125? And can be a geared bike as well as a scooter yes? Thank you!!

P.S. how is Madrid as a city to live and ride in? I still do not know exactly which city I am moving to - Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia. I need to be in all 3 at different times for work, but which I live in is up to me

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:50 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidmv wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:

Very Happy

Just because you are doing it doesn't mean its legal.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'think' having a car licence in Spain is also equivalent to having a 125cc full licence.
This is why I don't understand why our EU driven laws are more restrictive than countries such as Spain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I 'think' having a car licence in Spain is also equivalent to having a 125cc full licence.
This is why I don't understand why our EU driven laws are more restrictive than countries such as Spain.

Because, contrary to popular belief, we are allowed to make up our own stupid laws without any help from the EU.

davidmv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:46 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

Vale!! Very Happy Very Happy Are there any restrictions such as BHP as well as being a 125? And can be a geared bike as well as a scooter yes? Thank you!!

P.S. how is Madrid as a city to live and ride in? I still do not know exactly which city I am moving to - Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia. I need to be in all 3 at different times for work, but which I live in is up to me

Yes, 15bhp max. If course it can be geared, does not have to be a scooter. For your second question, If you have to work in all three of them I would recommend Madrid. You will love it plus it has the benefit of having much better connections (train, road and flights) to everywhere.

davidmv
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:49 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Just because you are doing it doesn't mean its legal.

Might want to read first. Yes, I know Spanish regulations. Way better than you do by the way.

Cheers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1