Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smart Thermostat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Smart Thermostat Reply with quote

https://quote.scottishpower.co.uk/?__utma=126996495.425148254.1553484775.1554536950.1554629114.5&__utmb=126996495.5.8.1554629117184&__utmc=126996495&__utmx=-&__utmz=126996495.1554536950.4.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=171608992#/energy-services/smart-thermostat

£19.99/month. Where is the saving? Shocked

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/smart-thermostats-explained/#accordion-content-1420197697-0

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never considered smart thermostats a money saver, more a gimmick for lazy people... Much like bluetooth kettles. Especially when you have to pay £20 a month!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:03 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best money saviing type of thermostat is a baisc, passive dial type which is hidden. Connected in series with the main one and set to a slightly higher than comfortable temperature. The main thing is that the woman of the house must NOT know where it is.

There is an almost universal misunderstanding among femal humans that if a room is cold, turning the thermostat up to its maximum setting will make the room heat up more quickly than merely setting it to the final temperature you want the room to be. You get a "I'm not standing here to be mansplained at." look, then they go right out and do it again.

I have attempted to explain how they work many times to many people. ie. that they are by nature, a switch that puts the heating either on full blast if it's too cold or off if it's warm enough and that turning it all the way up will not make things get warm any more quickly. It does however mean it never turns off until the house hits 35 degrees.

A hidden 'stat prevents this from happening.

Someone at my work keeps turning the electric heaters up to maximum despite me taking the knobs off the thermostats, taping the doors shut over them and individually having a quiet word with every member of staff telling them not to do it. Two weeks ago, they nearly put our datalogged ambient drug store over temperature. It was half a degree off having to skip a five figure sum worth of animal medicines!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The best money saviing type of thermostat is a baisc, passive dial type which is hidden. Connected in series with the main one and set to a slightly higher than comfortable temperature. The main thing is that the woman of the house must NOT know where it is.

There is an almost universal misunderstanding among femal humans that if a room is cold, turning the thermostat up to its maximum setting will make the room heat up more quickly than merely setting it to the final temperature you want the room to be. You get a "I'm not standing here to be mansplained at." look, then they go right out and do it again.

So true.

And just to rub salt in my wounds, I have been on my boat for 3 days. Wifie has been in Wales for 2 and I have come home to find the central heating main thermostat set for 21c. TWENTY ONE with no one in the house.

Happy fcuking spiders is all I can say. Evil or Very Mad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I have attempted to explain how they work many times to many people. ie. that they are by nature, a switch that puts the heating either on full blast if it's too cold or off if it's warm enough and that turning it all the way up will not make things get warm any more quickly. It does however mean it never turns off until the house hits 35 degrees.

A hidden 'stat prevents this from happening.

Someone at my work keeps turning the electric heaters up to maximum despite me taking the knobs off the thermostats, taping the doors shut over them and individually having a quiet word with every member of staff telling them not to do it. Two weeks ago, they nearly put our datalogged ambient drug store over temperature. It was half a degree off having to skip a five figure sum worth of animal medicines!

/\ Most meaningful and accurate post of 2019.

Some places have HVAC on many levels through workplace and accommodation.
The precise control is excellent as some places need more heating/cooling than others.
Un-Authorised Cnuts Fcuk with the thermostats.

You can buy see-through lock boxes to house the thermostats to keep cnuts out of them and prevent tamperfering.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes I've met folk like that. The higher you turn it up, the faster it heats.
I also know a woman who complained her new gas heating was costing too much to run. She had it set to 30c. When I asked why she told me she was cold.. whilst wearing a vest top and shorts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I also know a woman who complained her new gas heating was costing too much to run. She had it set to 30c. When I asked why she told me she was cold.. whilst wearing a vest top and shorts.

It's arse-tonishing to learn that heating bills are so high.

People heat their homes to feel comfortable. Crank up to 24-25°C and the weans are gaddin' about in just their under-crackers during Jan Feb March.

But mums and dads complain about how mucc their bills cost.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:35 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends wife used to open the windows to let the heat out because it was too warm.
They are now divorced.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

The story of the office. My female colleagues are always complaining it’s cold and turning up the thermostats (yes, to the max setting too) yet wear extremely light clothing. Meanwhile I’m sat in a short sleeved top and am roasting while I’m forbidden to go near either the thermostat or the window.

Fortunately it’s quite easy to remove the fuse from the electric radiators “oh it must have broken again, I’ll tell the facilities people” (err no I don’t)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1