Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New member: my fazer 1000

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: New member: my fazer 1000 Reply with quote

Had this a couple of months, been waiting all year for prices to drop and this was an absolute bargain at £1500 ‘04 44k with s1000rr fear shock that I’m yet to fit. Can’t wait for the weather to improve so I can start using it properly

https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/savagemoneypit/41A61F37-C160-4096-BFFF-9B913EB46881_zpsl2yox2zn.png

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivans, now! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ivans, now! Very Happy

It’s near the top of my list Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinka wrote:

Don't mess about with the Slip-on kit, go Full Monty - you won't regret it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Stinka wrote:

Don't mess about with the Slip-on kit, go Full Monty - you won't regret it.

Already watched YouTube vids and read the guides cheers mate. Can’t wait to get stuck in ! That rocket launcher silencer is going first tho. It’s all bloody money ffs, got it cheap enough tho Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinka wrote:

Already watched YouTube vids and read the guides cheers mate. Can’t wait to get stuck in ! That rocket launcher silencer is going first tho. It’s all bloody money ffs, got it cheap enough tho Thumbs Up

It's a bike that is really worth spending a few quid on. You start with a decent one in the first place, but a few of the right mods make it something very special, without losing any of the original good points. I might have to part with mine, and it will be the saddest biking decision I've ever made if it happens.

https://i.postimg.cc/vmVjWmV4/DSCN4614.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try telling this to G though! Laughing

You've found a nice tidy bike that really suits you and have spent a load of cash on to make it work right for you and your needs, and also make it the best it can be for the use you have for it within reason.

I can see a very different response coming from a certain aforementioned individual who has a very clinical and objective view of such things. Laughing

Oh and hang on just a second, what's all this parting with it talk of? Shocked

I'll be buried with at least one of my money pit vehicles, I thought it was the law?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G? Who he? Wink

Parting with it...I know, I know, right?! It wouldn't be my choice, but circumstances might force it. In fact, if I was financially sensible, it'd have gone already. But I'll just hang on to it a little bit longer... Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a belter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juq-xN1w-Xs

My favourite song at the moment. 'She is a belter'

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Stinka wrote:

It's a bike that is really worth spending a few quid on. You start with a decent one in the first place, but a few of the right mods make it something very special, without losing any of the original good points. I might have to part with mine, and it will be the saddest biking decision I've ever made if it happens.

https://i.postimg.cc/vmVjWmV4/DSCN4614.jpg

Absolute stunner ! Did you do the front end yourself?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinka wrote:

Cheers. No, done by devilsyam on the Fazer Owners Club forum, as was the R6 rear shock (and dialled in for me by him) - Ivans Full Monty by Falcon269 (who has retired from doing these, alas).

I more or less packed in spanner twirling some years ago after wrecking my arm and shoulder in an accident. Only small stuff nowadays.

The front end is from a 5PW R1, with K-Tech internals, which just by sheer luck suited me and this bike perfectly. They were about £250 off eBay with the mods done. It required replacement front mudguard, also R1, FZ8 top yoke, R1 bottom yoke with the Fazer steering stem added, ride height adjusters (optional - keeps the standard riding position), plus brake lines.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really looked at Fazers before. Sure I knew of them but stopping to look here has changed my attitude somewhat.
This bike bug really does bite..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the few bikes I've owned where I didn't really consider the looks when I first bought one. It looked ok, and a photo I saw in a magazine caught a nice angle on it, but I was more interested in having a bike to tour on that might deliver a bit of fun too - something I thought I could live with that had a bit more go than the SV650 I traded in for it. It had been reported in the bike press as a bit of a wheelie monster, so I thought it might fit the bill. Test rode one and liked it. Helped that we had three of them in at the dealer I worked for at the time, so got a good price on it.

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Stinka wrote:

Cheers. No, done by devilsyam on the Fazer Owners Club forum, as was the R6 rear shock (and dialled in for me by him) - Ivans Full Monty by Falcon269 (who has retired from doing these, alas).

I more or less packed in spanner twirling some years ago after wrecking my arm and shoulder in an accident. Only small stuff nowadays.

The front end is from a 5PW R1, with K-Tech internals, which just by sheer luck suited me and this bike perfectly. They were about £250 off eBay with the mods done. It required replacement front mudguard, also R1, FZ8 top yoke, R1 bottom yoke with the Fazer steering stem added, ride height adjusters (optional - keeps the standard riding position), plus brake lines.

I’ve seen devilsyam and mike (falcon) referenced all over the internet, unfortunately tho mike lives in Spain now and no longer does the ivans work and it seems devilsyam no longer tinkers with fazers either. Plenty of guides tho and I’m a fully qualified mechanic myself, and one of my best mates is a mechanical engineer and does all sorts of stuff with bikes so I’ll sort it no worries

I doubt I’ll do the fork swap, I’ll just get the Springs fitted and forks set up by ktec or someone Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't certain I'd do the R1 forks myself. The two things I was determined to do was the R6 rear shock and the Ivans. Those alone made a vast improvement, but whether it was just my imagination or I really was feeling it, now able to push the bike harder with those two mods, I was sure I could feel some unwanted flex in the standard forks. So I did those anyway. I've never had a repeat of that 'feeling' since. The fact the forks were already K-Tech'd was a bonus, but devilsyam, who has ridden hundreds of these in all different guises, said they were definitely a lot better than standard R1. Which I suppose shouldn't be surprising.

But lots of folks just do springs or have the standard forks otherwise doctored, and are perfectly happy with the results. Tbh, until I had the rear shock and Ivans done, I was happy with standard forks, and they were ok even then. But by then, I'd decided to put together my idea of the perfect Fazer Laughing

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice here's mine with one of it's stable mate.
Is the Ivan kit worth it? I don't think mine has been done how would you know?

https://i64.tinypic.com/27ys7qh.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ivans mod is well worth it. Not only does it give you more power, but it smooths delivery, especially at low throttle positions. Over a standard bike, you will definitely notice the difference, and be pleased with the results!

From Falcon269, Ivanising guru:

Quote:
Raise the throttle plates and check the pilot circuit bypass holes. If one or two have been enlarged, the carbs are 'Ivanised'.

To find out which kit is installed, remove a float bowl and check the main jet. If it says 127.5 it's a Full Monty job. If the main is 122.5, that's a Slip On kit.

Full Monty also has part of the air box cut away, and will have a freer-breathing air filter installed (not sure if the slip-on kit has the same). Most people also remove the intake stubs (engine side) and dremel out some material from the bottom to give a less interrupted gas flow here. If a little metal is showing through the rubber, it'll be obvious.

I think the needles, which are also replaced with the Ivans kits, are marked differently too, but you can find out more about all this on the Fazer Owners Club forum:

https://www.foc-u.co.uk

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:05 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The Ivans mod is well worth it. Not only does it give you more power, but it smooths delivery, especially at low throttle positions. Over a standard bike, you will definitely notice the difference, and be pleased with the results!

From Falcon269, Ivanising guru:

Quote:
Raise the throttle plates and check the pilot circuit bypass holes. If one or two have been enlarged, the carbs are 'Ivanised'.

To find out which kit is installed, remove a float bowl and check the main jet. If it says 127.5 it's a Full Monty job. If the main is 122.5, that's a Slip On kit.

Full Monty also has part of the air box cut away, and will have a freer-breathing air filter installed (not sure if the slip-on kit has the same). Most people also remove the intake stubs (engine side) and dremel out some material from the bottom to give a less interrupted gas flow here. If a little metal is showing through the rubber, it'll be obvious.

I think the needles, which are also replaced with the Ivans kits, are marked differently too, but you can find out more about all this on the Fazer Owners Club forum:

https://www.foc-u.co.uk

Cheers.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking that for mine - which looks almost the same as yours and is same year & mileage, but didn't get any offers (only one guy came to look, and the insurance scared him off) Crying or Very sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new to say, but Fazers ought to be at the top of the page more often Mr. Green

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won this off eBay for 30 fooking quid !! Sounds absolutely epic

https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/savagemoneypit/A8F1D659-778A-4FD9-9F18-FF8379547146_zpsy0rwkeyc.jpg

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:27 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinka wrote:

Is that a tail tidy or just the original cut down?
I've put a 7x5 plate on mine but now the tail looks wrong.

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut down stock rear, with standard plate

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard suspension sucks, to be honest wiv ya. I mentioned elsewhere that I'd been having confidence issues after my salt season lay-up, then remembered I had removed the short dog bones.

After refitting them I went for a ride today and the difference was just outstanding. It doesn't just sharpen up the steering, it actually makes a big difference to the whole feel of the bike - and U-turns are piss easy on tight roads.

Only problem for me is that my knees are starting to really ache on every ride now. The reason I bought one is that it was the comfiest bike I'd sat on when I test rode one for a couple of hours. Mine isn't quite as comfy as that one was - and I've no idea why - but it's comfy enough up to now.

I do think I'll be getting something else in the next year or two, though. Probably a retro - used to really like riding my Zephyr 750, but got fed up of the blast and stand-scraping.

The only other bike I had that came near to the Fazer comfort was the 855cc Tiger. Fantastic bike, that was, especially when fitted with appropriate road rubber instead of the pretend knobblies.

Sorry - waffling again... ahem! Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1