Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda XR400 Standard Indicator Relay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

wiseoldman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:40 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Honda XR400 Standard Indicator Relay Reply with quote

Hi all, just joined here, need some help.
Partners son has a Honda xr400 that needs to get through an MOT. It has standard indicators with bulbs not LED ones and we are after locating a relay to get these working. For the life of us we can not locate one, can import one from Australia of all places at a ridiculous price but there has to be an easier solution to this.
Have read else where automotive relays have been used so has anyone else had the same problem and managed a way around it ?? or even where to purchase a relay in the UK.
Any help would be appreciated with grateful thanks, even wiring diagrams for alternative non standard relays from a car that would get these lights working.

Paul.........

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one, took all of 2 minutes..

forget it!!! £70 from MSP... I am assuming you looking for part number 38301-KZ1-951......

The only option I can think of is to have a word with a Honda Dealer to alter the connectors to use a standard relay.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relay is a generic part, no need to go crazy with OEM stuff.

I run an indicator relay from VW group (Skoda/Audi/VW/Seat) on the MZ.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think XR flashers operate rather oddly compared to normal ones
the front and rear bulbs flash out phase
ie front is on while back is off and vice versa
I havent got the XR400 diagram to hand but I think it has no battery and electrically
runs part AC ( lights) part DC on a presumably power limited electrical system.

IIRC the relay uses Black for power in ( DC?) and two pins out to Grey and Grey/white cables going to the switch and wiring.
This makes it differ from common 2 pin relays where you have power in and flashed power out to switch.
3 pin types usually have ground connector

If I had it here I could probably work it out better and devise a workaround to use common, cheap relays

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR400Rs do not come as standard with indicators,but these people do sell all of the parts required to add them

https://proracing.co.uk/product-category/xc-lighting-kits/

I do not have them fitted to my XR400SM,despite fitting an updated stator kit from these people

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/index.html

I have fitted LED brake and tail lights and these put less of a strain on the alternator.I aim to fit LEDs into the headlight as the standard 25/25w unit is a bit dire for any riding in the dark.

There is also a useful page on the Honda XRV forum

https://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/xr/

Always have a 'Plan B'

wiseoldman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:24 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, your info is very helpful and will hopefully help get this sorted, been told now a two pin standard automotive relay as mentioned above will do the trick from someone who has used one on the same, worth a try considering the cheapness of these relays and being able to pick one up from many different sources inc ole fleabay.
Again thank you and when we get this sorted I will drop a message back here how and what we did to get them working. fingers crossed.

wiseoldman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Ok all thank you for your replies, the two pin relay from eBay arrived on Saturday and we wired it in and we now have indicators flashing.
Help from another forum told us to get a cheap 2 pin flasher relay rated at 12v 21w. We have 1 Black wire & 2 Grey wires for the relay connection which we was told to put the black wire on pin 1 and the 2 grey wires joined on to pin 2 using straight forward crimp on spade lugs. Luckily we had a connection with three wires coming from so it was easy to connect into the connection on the original loom, spade lugs on the end of the wires and then connected to the relay and job done with indicators flashing as they should.

Cheers all to all that replied.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:28 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming back and telling us about it. Thumbs Up

I didn't see this thread but I would have suggested an electronic flasher relay. They will flash at the same rate regardless of the wattage of bulb/LED attached to them.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:24 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the relay fails, go for an electronic flasher relay.

I've always had this problem with the CB250RS, it just kills flasher relays. The only thing that works reliably is the original item, which uses a very old school bimetallic strip.

No idea why it kills modern relays. My best guess is that the power is very poorly regulated. Not spiky enough to kill bulbs, but spiky enough to kill electronics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1