Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MT-03 2008 rearsets and stuff

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

c-rabbit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:17 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: MT-03 2008 rearsets and stuff Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Apologies if this does not fall in this section.
I'm not exactly new to the biking world (read my bio) but I am kind-of rebooting since I've moved in this country 3 years ago and looking into buying my first bike here.

Anyway, I've done my homework and decided for a 2008 MT-03 because I can get it on the road for a monthly total lower or similar to the price of a travel card.
Will upgrade once I grow a NCB.

However, I do have quite a bit of history on motorcycles and can adapt to almost anything, but there are some things I feel more comfortable having. Two of these are rearsets and inverted gears.

It's just that I have always had them on my bikes, I like the positioning of the rearsets and I like having the foot on top of the lever rather than under.

I had a look at pictures of the MT and I realised why I can't really find the rearsets easily, but I was hoping you guys could find the rabbit in the hat?
I mean, it's not totally impossible to make them IMHO.

If we can't find them then I'd be open to other models in the same price/cost range if you guys care advising them.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt you are going to find rearsets for an upright, naked, (fairly) uncommon bike like that.

c-rabbit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:11 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought,

To be fair I don't even think the problem is with it being a naked or being uncommon because you can find the rearsets for the new MT-03 in different models both fixed and adjustable. I think the problems are mainly that the pedal supports don't have the classic 2 points attachment and the gear lever is attached directly to the pivot of the shifter rather than with the bar and rod.
Also I'm not sure if the kickstand is attached to the pedal support.
This means that an eventual rearset has to include the bar and rod system and be custom-compatible with the frame.
I can see where the Chinese dude said "screw it, I'm not gonna bother".

Oh well, tbh the only thing that is keeping me on the MT-03 is the looks of it. I am already familiar with its engine since I've had an XT660T for a couple of weeks, and I am not exactly crazy about it (exchanged for an EZ90).

You guys have suggestions? I need a 2+k 6/700cc cheap to insure and that I can eventually invert the gears and adjust the positioning to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-rabbit wrote:
You guys have suggestions? I need a 2+k 6/700cc cheap to insure and that I can eventually invert the gears and adjust the positioning to.

Maybe an FZ6?

Rearsets available: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332591626896

c-rabbit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:32 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

Maybe an FZ6?

You, sir, are scary hold at this! It matches all my requirements and also has a 4 cylinders engine that generally get along with me (or I get along with them, you choose).
But, I don't exactly love that "I am a naked but I have a windscreen" situation.
Wasn't there an FZ6 completely naked out there? I'm finding really hard to find even the arrow headed one on the dealers websites for some reason.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this you mean?

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20C/Yamaha%20FZ6%20S2%2009%20%202.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZ6-600-2006-21k-miles-Stunning-orange-very-good-service-history/153429516731?hash=item23b91ca1bb:g:~ucAAOSwvqFcm1iU

c-rabbit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:38 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, absolutely perfect. Thank you very much!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1