Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which first big bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

PoBASE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:41 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Which first big bike? Reply with quote

Hi all.

So I'm looking to upgrade to a big bike. Still to do the license so a few months off yet but what I'm already looking at bikes.

Currently I have 6 months 4000 miles experience commuting on a cbf125.

Once I do the DAS I was looking at either:

Cbf 650
Monster 797 or 821.

I really want a monster but slightly put off the 797 because no gear indicator or fuel gauge on the display. The 821 has these and teaction control. But is it too powerful for a beginner bike? It does have urban mode dropping the hp (which I would probably ise) but all the same is it a silly idea and should I go with the cbf650 and wait for the dream?

Thanks

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've not ridden any big bikes and have already written off everything else out there. Ride a das bike and then you'll have a slightly (tiny bit) more informed opinion of what you want. We all managed without gear indicators and fuel gauges for a hell of a long time. Resetting the trip and knowing how your bike feels in each gear work just fine. You may even ride a v twin and find you hate it. Or, an il4 and hate that! Book das and get licence. In b4tef.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help on the selection but a quick note to say most bike fuel indicators are not very reliable due to oddly shaped tanks. Better to use the odometer and figure out when your bike typically runs low.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Can't help on the selection but a quick note to say most bike fuel indicators are not very reliable due to oddly shaped tanks. Better to use the odometer and figure out when your bike typically runs low.

This. You'll also get a different reading uphill, downhill, around corners. It's easy enough to open the tank on a pissbreak and see/hear what's left.

Power - Depends on you. If you're "Faster, FASTER!" then get a slower plodder and learn some restraint. If you're not, get something that has a bit of poke to use an suitable times and places.

PoBASE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:59 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So what other suggestions would you have for an upright riding position, commuter (motorway then city). Needs to be upright as back issues prevent more aggressive bikes ( tried the cbr before I bought my cbf and couldn't do it).

Cheers

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's literally dozens out there. I've got a triumph tiger and a cbr500r, both upright and comfortable. The cb500 range is great fun if you have the balls to ride a 47bhp bike in front of your mates on gs1200s. go sit on everything you can and as Travis said, make a longer shortlist.

c-rabbit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:30 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am not going to give you an advice, I'm just going to tell you a couple of facts:
The Monster rides up to its name, it is a furious beast very unforgiving when it comes to throttle control. Building the muscle memory to start it and master it in fast-ish riding is going to take some effort and the entire thing can build frustration which is not something we want from out bike.
However if you are looking for fun you don't have to go further than your righ hand, you twist it and it goes no matter what.
No matter what.

The cb650f is less "binary" if you pass me the term: while you may feel like on the Monster the throttle goes from 0 to Dead directly, the CB does have something more in the middle.
The temper of the il4 is more easygoing, you'll find it easier to get satisfaction from it, go fast, don't get frustration, and it has the added bonus that once you own it (from a skills point of view) you can still part exchange it for a Monster and discover that there's even more out there to enjoy.

I guess I kinda advised in the end but, in my defense, I really believe in what I wrote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/rFSCCQ6V/pack-front-led-turn-signal-for-triumph-street-triple-675-2007-20.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm.... bike pr0n. You also want something that delights when you drag the cover off or open the garage door Smile

I have a mate going through the same process at the moment. He's considering something like a Royal Enfield Interceptor.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Needs more turbocharger.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:26 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the biggest thing you have to worry about is whether a bike has a gear position indicator.... either you are SO prepared for test that it's a cinch, or you are TOTALLY out of wack with reality!

I have NEVER owned a bike with a GPI... its pretty much an irrelevance, and if I cant tell what gear I am in by the engine noise and how fast I am going.... a GPI 'probably' aint gonna help much.

Crikey; I dont even bother looking at the dang speedo all that often! This is NOT reallyu somethiing that would tip my purchase decission.

Having a licence? Well, that is slightly more critical.... till its in your pocket, I would be rather more bothered about boning up on the theory/hazard tests, and making sure I knew then answers to the pavement questions about pillions an examiner will ask, and spotting them, niggly little catrch-alls they use on test, like indicating to pass parked cars, or 'undertaking' cars waiting to turn right.....

DONT sweat the small stuff... and until you have actually passed test, what bike you cant legally ride until you do, is small stuff.

A-N-D... then... anything will do... speed-limits and SMIDSY's dont change just cos you got a piece of paper in your pocket... and as its a ride-what you like-licence? Ride what you like!

Personally, a Ducati Monster, probably wouldn't be my first choice, though I have been tempted by one a few times, b-u-t... making the choice of which one, based on whether it has some extra LED's to tell me stuff I have, in forty years not needed to know? No! It REALLY is neither here nor there, and there's FAR more important stuff I would be swayed by.... like whether it needed its cam-belts swapped, or its Desmo valves shimmed, and whether there was a mechanic within bus-ride of my house that could do that sort of stuff!

Carts and Horses.... get them in order.... and here and now, worry about getting the licence. Without that, none of it's particularly important!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:07 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mt 07,tracer 700,xsr 700.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1