Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brakes question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Brakes question Reply with quote

Hello people,

I have 2014 MT09 no ABS. Under light heavy braking with the front brake the back wheel is swerving and sliding. When I say "light heavy braking " I mean light emergency braking.

I have used in the past on my Fazer FZS600 to brake much more harder before I experience this. Also the feeling was more better and the back wheel lock was way much more controllable. Here with MT09 is you brake hard and slide and the only way to get back to normal is completely to get off the brakes. Granted the Fazer is heavier bike but with it I was able to release a tiny bit the brake and stop the slide whilst still stopping hard.

That is very annoying because with the MT09 I can't safely brake very hard.

Does that sound normal to you under heavy braking specifically for MT09 as very light bike or I need to look at some issue?

Any MT09 owners here with similar experience?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never rode one, also never heard of light heavy braking!

The back brake is useless in an emergency (it will lock up).

Q, does this bike have standard brakes / brakes lines?

It may be a suspension problem???????????

Also what tyre pressures are you using???

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Never rode one, also never heard of light heavy braking!

The back brake is useless in an emergency (it will lock up).

Q, does this bike have standard brakes / brakes lines?

It may be a suspension problem???????????

Also what tyre pressures are you using???

Light heavy braking I mean you are braking hard but not doing stopies.

I am using the front brake. 36/42 tyres as per the book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You no answer questions Surprised

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
You no answer questions Surprised

missed it Laughing

All is standard brake lines, yes could be suspension set up, but front preload is dialed a lot only 2 lines showing. I do not feel any heavy diving...

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

""" 36/42 tyres as per the book."""
These are only recommended pressures, you could be a 8 stone nip or a 21 stone american.
Somebody on here may have one and be able to help more.
Have you tried the M.C.N. report / feedback?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:44 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could well be you're just locking the rear. It's perfectly possible to lock the rear on a litre bike simply by closing the throttle under braking, especially if you're in a low gear. The fork dive unloads the rear suspension, the engine braking does the rest

That's one of the reasons a lot of bigger bikes are coming with slipper clutches as standard these days. Not sure if the MT09 is one of them?

My MZ used to do it a lot, it felt more like a judder/chatter from the back end but it was a single cylinder engine. I'd imagine a multi-cylinder would feel smoother in that respect.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Could well be you're just locking the rear. It's perfectly possible to lock the rear on a litre bike simply by closing the throttle under braking, especially if you're in a low gear. The fork dive unloads the rear suspension, the engine braking does the rest

That's one of the reasons a lot of bigger bikes are coming with slipper clutches as standard these days. Not sure if the MT09 is one of them?

My MZ used to do it a lot, it felt more like a judder/chatter from the back end but it was a single cylinder engine. I'd imagine a multi-cylinder would feel smoother in that respect.

Spot on thank you! No slipper clutch on MT. I figured out MT09 is very light bike with very torque engine with big stopping power, it was not happening on Fazer because the bike is way heavier and the IL4 engine is more mild in engine braking department.

I just need to hit the clutch earlier to prevent MT09 engine braking and its all good now.

Thanks again Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:46 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Euro-mandated slipper clutches please.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
No Euro-mandated slipper clutches please.

no slipper clutches have been harmed at this thread, although I may vote for MEP who stand on slippery clutched platform this year... Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I remember it is the thing the instructor drives into you on training for emergency stops.

Progressive Brake application followed by disengagement of the clutch (To prevent engine braking locking up the rear wheel.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1