Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance/Repair Advice After Crash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

LuckyDip23
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:27 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Insurance/Repair Advice After Crash Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I've recently had an off a couple of weeks ago and could do with a bit of advice.

So I was commuting to work and my front brake failed as I was pulling upto a roundabout (bike = 12 plate Speed Triple).
I'd been riding for about a mile, braking several times with no problems. I was breaking for the roundabout and the lever started off with feel and stopping power - then just went straight back to the bar - zero front braking at all. Like someone flicked a switch and the brakes stopped braking.
As a result I've swerved to avoid the car in front, but ended up clipping the cback right corner of the car before going flying.
Minor damage to the bike, mostly plastics, mirror pegs etc - Im a bit brusied and battered but fine.

Obviously its gone off to the insurance for repair and I've jsut had a call back from them.

Firstly they've said that the front right calliper is missing a brake pad - which im having a hard time believing.
Bike has full dealer service history, was service in Jan @ Triumph dealer (full dealer Service history) so has been kept in decent nic.
The only way I can see this happening if the pad came out and was the actual cause of my crash - but I've NEVER head of a pad falling out of a front brake on a bike.
Does this seem plausible as an explaination and do you think it would cause the issue I faced where I had brakes then instantly nothing.

Secondly - they've said that while all the damage caused by the crash will be repaired - the Brakes wont be - as that WAS the cause of the crash rather than damage caused BY the crash.
This means theyre going to send me back an un-road worthy motorcycle, which just seems plain wrong. Are they within their rights to do that? I though that when a bike was repaired becauase of an accident it would have to at least come back in a usable condition?

I kind of feel like im being a bit fobbed off and im not sure if i should accept what theyre doing or go back and fight for the brakes to be fixed.

Any adivce on the greatfully recieved.

Gaz.

Last edited by LuckyDip23 on 15:56 - 15 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:25 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be possible for those callipers to drop a pad (they aren't through-pinned, no hole in the pad backplate) but in order to do so, it would have to have rattled the pistons all the way back into the calliper. The most likely thing to cause this would be a severe warping/eccentricity of the disc combined with the pads being near the wear limit.

If this was a perennial problem, I'd expect you to have noticed having to take an extra pump at the brakes after a longer ride to get them to bite. I wonder if all the brake disc bolts are present and what condition the discs themselves are in?

You haven't done asnything daft recently like ride away with a disc lock on or similar?

I'd be interested to find out what damage there is to the brakes that they have refused to repair because the brakes themselves don't normally get damaged in a low speed crash. So is this an indication of the primary failure? Could a stone have flown up and dinged the disc?

Early 90's kawasakis had ropy callipers. Usually used on the rear but occasionally on the front in a pair that were perfectly capable of spitting a pad out once they were worn and had a bit of disc warpage. I've had it happen twice, both times on the rear.

LuckyDip23
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:44 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - I asked them to send over picture of the caliper, disc pots etc so I can see the state of them & I think I think I can see whats happened in terms of the crash.

From the pics theyve sent - I can clearly see a pad is missing.
An overextended calliper pot at the point where the pad is missing and really heavy wear on the pads on that side of the caliper.

Also though - it doesnt show much damage to the caliper pot or the brake disc - which makes me think that the pad had not been missing for long or the disc and caliper would be absolutely smashed to bit cos of the metal on metal.

It is indeed possible for the pads to drop out in these brakes - theyre not pinned direct, but theres a spring fitting thats pinned into caliper body that applies pressure to the top of the pads to keep them in the "cage" (sticky up bits round the caliper pot).

They did mention at least one of the pots had siezed, so I reckon that the left hand side pots on the photo were not moving properly. This has caused the right hand side to over compensate - basically wearing the crap out of the pads on thats side fairly quickly.
We've then got to a point where the pad is basically gone, and as the caliper was already over-compensating its got to the point where its jsut pushed the pad out of the cage.
Thats gone bye bye down the road which has caused the pot to push further out to the point where its no longer sealed, so the pressures gone at the lever, no more stopping power and ive gone flying.

I actually think this pad falling out has caused the crash.

EDIT : and ive also just found out that a standard annual service @ the dealer doesnt include looking at the brakes - so they would not have been checked for seizing etc when it was service in Jan Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyDip23 wrote:
From the pics theyve sent - I can clearly see a pad is missing.

Looks to me like there's half a pad in there, worn down to the metal pretty much, just lightly jammed in, and the other half has gone AWOL. I wonder if it was askew due to stuck pistons and the angle and wear caused it to snap.

You really ought to be checking your pads, on at least a monthly basis if you're using the bike daily, but I expect you'll be doing it more often now Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:14 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any asymmetric wear there. What has happened is the left hand pistons in your pic have seized in place. I'm not sure why they'd be pushed back like that, especially as the disc should keep them on centre. The right hand ones have indeed pushed out to compensate, and the pad has simply fallen through the gap.

Could the front wheel have been assembled without a spacer? That might cause the disc to push the pads over to one side, but I assume the same would be true for the other caliper.

Here's a lesson for you now that you've already had enough pain... Never assume a dealer service will check safety items. Never assume an MOT will either. Always rely on the Mk1 eyeball, the Mk1 Brain and all the associated wiring to check these safety critical items. I'm not exactly a MotoGP level mechanic, but the things I do know are brakes, suspension, bearings, chain and sprockets and so on. All safety items. I've had too many minor issues which could have become major had I not taken any action.

Always check stuff yourself. Never assume, especially on bike brakes and tyres etc.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyDip23 wrote:
ive also just found out that a standard annual service @ the dealer doesnt include looking at the brakes

Eh? In what universe does that make any sense? I can't think of anything more important than that that I'd definitely want checking during a service; I know my (independent) mechanic always does it. Is this really a thing?

Not that my own bike has ever been near a main dealer during my ownership, but brake inspection certainly features in BMW's annual service schedules.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:30 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
LuckyDip23 wrote:
ive also just found out that a standard annual service @ the dealer doesnt include looking at the brakes

Eh? In what universe does that make any sense? I can't think of anything more important than that that I'd definitely want checking during a service; I know my (independent) mechanic always does it. Is this really a thing?

Not that my own bike has ever been near a main dealer during my ownership, but brake inspection certainly features in BMW's annual service schedules.

A service is for the replacement of consumable parts on a schedule basis, not a complete safety inspection,

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

A service is for the replacement of consumable parts on a schedule basis, not a complete safety inspection,

If that really is the case, it just shows how far the bike industry lags behind the car game.

Even the most minor of scheduled car services includes a safety check, even if it's just shining a torch on the pads. If one of my boys serviced a car two months ago and it came back with pads worn to the metal, unless it had done ludicrous mileage, not only would I not be charging the customer, the tech would be paying for the parts.

In any case, it's in the interests of the workshop to check, especially when it's so easy on a bike.

Had they spotted it, they would've got a pad replacement (and, by the sound of it, a caliper strip and service) out of the customer and at a main dealer, that's got to be worth a few quid.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:26 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider yourself lucky if they change the oil on a dealer service and don't just park it round the back for 4 hours and wipe an oily rag round the filler cap.

Last bike I had dealer serviced from new had convincing evidence that the plugs, coolant, fork oil and tappets had never been touched from the day it left the factory to when I started servicing it myself once the warranty period was up.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:28 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

In any case, it's in the interests of the workshop to check, especially when it's so easy on a bike.

Had they spotted it, they would've got a pad replacement (and, by the sound of it, a caliper strip and service) out of the customer and at a main dealer, that's got to be worth a few quid.

Now they get to sell a set of fairings, bar ends, footpegs, levers...

It's not in dealers interests to service bikes properly. If they did, people wouldn't need to buy new ones so often. Plus half the tecchies are lazy twats with no idea what the fuck they are doing anyway.

I service my own bikes.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Now they get to sell a set of fairings, bar ends, footpegs, levers...

At a discounted price and below their normal labour rate, insurance companies don't pay retail prices.

On the other hand, well looked after customers do buy new vehicles from trusted dealers.

As previously mentioned, this does seem to be a concept that's missing from the bike trade, as evidenced by a mate of mine who was a career motor trader and a lifelong biker - he went into the bike trade and cleaned up

LuckyDip23
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:51 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
LuckyDip23 wrote:

On the joblist they indicate they do leak type checks - which probably means they glance over it and make sure it doesnt look fooked and still stops but thats about it.

TBH given it was serviced in Jan its quite possible that everything was fine then and this has only happened more recently.

The things thats still really bugging me though is the insurance company wants to send me back an unroad worthy bike as they wont fix the brakes. Im sure that cant be right.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:03 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyDip23 wrote:
The things thats still really bugging me though is the insurance company wants to send me back an unroad worthy bike as they wont fix the brakes. Im sure that cant be right.

If you weren't checking your own brakes, you were probably riding an unroadworthy bike anyway... so I don't see the issue.

I (yes, even being the lazy bastard I am) check my bike over weekly during summer, just because.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyDip23 wrote:

Insurance is not there to fix serviceable items. You note that they are saying that the bike was unroadworthy (your words) when the accident happened.
So they could decide to claim back the costs they are paying out back from you....
As I have no doubt that there is something in their T/C that covers your responsibility to maintain the bike in a roadworthy condition.
See option 7 Yes I know its aimed at cars. But bikes will be no different.

If you are not happy then raise it as a complaint.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
A service is for the replacement of consumable parts on a schedule basis, not a complete safety inspection
Paddy. wrote:
If you weren't checking your own brakes, you were probably riding an unroadworthy bike anyway

I can't accept that this is right. Back when I were a lad, yes I always did all my own bike maintenance, but these days, with less free time and rather more cash, I choose to get someone else to do it for me. However, I've never done any significant car maintenance, and have never in my life 'checked' my car brakes or done any work on them. I'm sure that 99.9% of car owners would say exactly the same; they rely on a garage to do all that stuff. It seems to me that people here reckon it's different for bikes, am I right? Because your average biker is male and is likely to have an interest in how his vehicle works; not to mention the potentially rather more direct effect on his longevity if said vehicle suffers a mechanical failure?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:13 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I can't accept that this is right. Back when I were a lad, yes I always did all my own bike maintenance, but these days, with less free time and rather more cash, I choose to get someone else to do it for me. However, I've never done any significant car maintenance, and have never in my life 'checked' my car brakes or done any work on them. I'm sure that 99.9% of car owners would say exactly the same; they rely on a garage to do all that stuff. It seems to me that people here reckon it's different for bikes, am I right? Because your average biker is male and is likely to have an interest in how his vehicle works; not to mention the potentially rather more direct effect on his longevity if said vehicle suffers a mechanical failure?

Well. My work van was serviced regularly on the button every time. Also went in for tyres/pads etc to the same place.

They had to cut the fucking brake calliper off it with an angle grinder when the slider pins seized, making the brake bind on.

They did the same with my mates SAAB, had to angle grind the fully bound-up callipers off and fit new ones despite annual dealer servicing.

My previous vehicle (a Suzuki jimny) was similarly serviced regularly at a different garage by the schedule and had a highly entertaining total brake failure when the brake pipe rusted through and burst.

So no, they don't check or advise. They wait for it to fail then sell you new bits.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1