Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alarm/immobiliser worthwhile?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Alarm/immobiliser worthwhile? Reply with quote

NCS V2 Motorbike Alarm and Immobiliser System £26.99

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that one on my bike, piece of piss to fit (let them know the model of your bike first.)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I've got that one on my bike, piece of piss to fit (let them know the model of your bike first.)

Can you give me any details of your experience of how it works on your bike, please., like: what does it need to set it off, how loud does it sound, does it reset after (?) minutes, etc? Thet would be really helpful.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, a quick review for you...

You can get two versions of this: one that "talks" so instead of beeping it says things like "step away from the vehicle" if the motion alarm goes off. I went with the beeps but whatever floats your boat there!

As I said if you e-mail their site or via eBay you can query whether your specific bike can be "plug and play." Basically any bike that has a factory fit alarm socket will most likely work. Even so, an unwired cable and wiring suggestion is included so the alarm can be fitted/re-fitted to almost anything.

The amazing thing for me was the V2 alarm looks like it comes in an odd shaped case but in actual fact it exactly matches what the factory one would be and fits perfectly in the slot under the air box. And I mean exactly! However if you're not as lucky it does have a double sided sticky pad; just find a suitable flat surface. Alternatively cable or screw it down.

So after that find a suitable spot to stick down the siren, connect to the factory plug.... and done! Pretty much nothing to do for me but your bike might be more difficult. In essence the alarm taps into main power, switched power (i.e. ignition on) and somewhere in the ignition and/or starter circuits (depending on the bike.) Oh, and you can have a flashing "armed" LED if you like (but it's not essential) I drilled a hole in the right steering cover so when the steering is locked it's pretty easy to see and the wire can be nicely hidden under the tank.

In operation you have 2 key fobs with lock, unlock, remote start and panic alarm. Lock sets the alarm and activates the immobiliser (i.e. cuts ignition.) Unlock obviously disarms and allows the engine to start.

Remote start? It just duplicates your engine start button. I can't really see the point of this feature to be honest as you'd want to check the bike is in neutral, steering lock off etc. but I suppose if your handlebar button is iffy this is a back up. Panic button sets off the alarm manually... some kids getting a bit close as you twitch your net curtains? By all means shit 'em up a bit Smile I like to press it when someone goes by walking their dog Smile

Alarm will go off if you try and start the bike (with or without the proper key) or try and move it. It "pre-alarms" for the first movement event. Certainly I can't remove the bike's cover without the alarm growling at me. That's on the middle sensitivity setting and that can be altered if needed.

Remote cut off is also possible (within 100m) so consider keeping the fob in your pocket and separate from the bike ignition key. But seriously, who leaves the key in their bike when they walk away from it?

The supplied siren is surprisingly loud for its size even though I have mine directly under the seat where I thought it might be muffled.

If someone wanted to disable the alarm and steal your bike? Well that depends on how well wired into the bike it is but let's just assume it's the factory fit way...

First they'd have to strip off any panels and maybe the seat to get to it (while the alarm is probably going off) and unplug/cut it out. They'd also need to know the bike's electrics or the alarm circuit perfectly to bypass what the alarm used to do with regards to the ignition system.

So good to defeat a casual yoof with bolt cutters but a pro bike thief was probably planing to throw your bike in a van anyway.

A bargain for what it is if it's "plug and play" but if you have an older bike with no alarm socket you may as well go for the £10 eBay bargain ones as what you're really paying for is the service from NCS which I'm perfectly fine with. They've always responded within 24 hours in my experience.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

You can get two versions of this: one that "talks" so instead of beeping it says things like "step away from the vehicle" if the motion alarm goes off.

All I can think of now is Phoenix Nights; Max's alarm on his old Volvo "get back yer b*stard, I'll break yer legs..."

Tempted to buy one just for that . . . Mr. Green

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

You can get two versions of this: one that "talks" so instead of beeping it says things like "step away from the vehicle" if the motion alarm goes off.

All I can think of now is Phoenix Nights; Max's alarm on his old Volvo "get back yer b*stard, I'll break yer legs..."

Tempted to buy one just for that . . . Mr. Green

Actually already done! They had a special "Peter Kay Edition" not long ago Very Happy

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha excellent. I'm tempted, I'm tempted . . . Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1