Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New engine cover preventing starter motor from working

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a bit late but the crucial measurement is between the gasket surface and the bottom of the bearing seat.
Did you know that there are non-destructive ways to remove bearings? They involve grease, rags etc. Youtube will show you.

Personally I've a feeling that it's something like the bearing not in far enough. Perhaps upside down (some are like that) or perhaps shim washers in the wrong order. My DRZ lump has an idler gear with shim washers and it's a pain if reassembled incorrectly.

Firstly - is the bearing seated fully?
Case off and get a thin piece of wire. Bend the end a little at 90 degrees and see if it'll fit below the bearing in the case where the bearing is supposed to be flush seated.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers I guess.
You're going to need take the cover off and see if it turns over without it.
You must have ruled out coincidental failing battery?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shim washers are basically accurate washers of varying thickness. Spacers yes! They're machined flat and accurately.
My engine starter idler gear has several and it's very easy to put them on the wrong sides of the gear when reassembling. The difference in thickness is minute but makes a lot of difference.
Doesn't look like yours has an idler gear.

Triple check that bearing hole. Could even be machined badly and have a small radius at the side thus preventing the bearing fitting in fully flat.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:04 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how much did you save from buying a pattern cover instead of an OEM one?

Either the bearing isn't seated deep enough, or (more likely) the pattern part isn't a very good one.

New OEM cover, new bearing (because you shouldn't keep pressing them in and out of things) and it'll work.

Don't layer up gaskets, it'll leak.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR.

What can you see when both covers are sat together on a the same flat surface?
Closely examine both parts one section at a time.
Look for nuances in casting thicknesses.
The cover may need fetling.
Contact the cunts who sold you the cover. Tell them your not happy. 😀

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:11 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let’s play : How much cash in my wallet. (Pic 1.)
I recon there’s £345.00
The closest guess wins it! Laughing Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£670.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the cover.

Had the same on my brothers Fazer. Bought a good used OE one and it was fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
autistboi This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:01 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without blowing any trumpets I suppose you could call me an engineer, I served an apprenticeship in a diesel engine factory at least.
If the part doesn't fit because it makes the engine sieze, then it is not fit for purpose.
We spent a long (and god it was boring) time learning about limits and fits , about how tolerances work and how the biggest allowable shaft should fit in the smallest allowable hole , and it is still all within tolerance , and more to the point , it must still do it's job. It ' may ' be possible to modify this cover to make it work , but there are some Chinese parts that are so shitely ( is that a word?) made that they are better off chucked out and a replaced with good second hand part. An engineer could check out the old cover and the new one and probably find that a boss somewhere hasn't been machined properly and it needs another 10 thou or half a mil taking off. Is there a machine shop near you? Ask in a garage ' where do you get your cylinder heads done?' , all in a ll a 2nd hand part would be easier and cheaper.
autistboi This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dowel crushed and tight stuff is probably a badly drilled dowel hole.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1