Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Balls or arches?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Where do you rest your feet when riding?
With the balls of the foot on the footpegs
56%
 56%  [ 25 ]
With the arches of the foot on the footpegs
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Some other way of doing it!
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 44

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Balls or arches? Reply with quote

On the footpegs (obviously!). I very quickly fell into the "habit" of riding with the balls of my feet on the footpegs, moving my feet as necessary to change gear and apply the brakes. This felt natural and seemed to give me the control I want. However, I did a BikeSafe course on Sunday and I was advised by the Police observer to ride with the arches of my foot on the pegs but with my feet splayed out slightly so I can just twist my foot onto the controls, as opposed to lift my foot up and move it forwards.

The thing is, the latter feels unnatural (probably because it's new?!) and I'm also conscious that my toes are significantly closer to the ground when cornering (although probably still realistically a long way off!) as the foot is both pointed outwards and is further down in the position on the pegs.

What do people on here do? Is there a right or wrong on this, or is it personal preference?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls, always. On an upright, standard bike, you can't lean the bike fully and scrape a peg unless your foot is perched on the peg with ball of the foot making contact with the peg. Otherwise your toes will fold over the front of the peg and get trapped between the tarmac and the peg.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Balls, always. On an upright, standard bike, you can't lean the bike fully and scrape a peg unless your foot is perched on the peg with ball of the foot making contact with the peg. Otherwise your toes will fold over the front of the peg and get trapped between the tarmac and the peg.

Yes I hadn't actually considered this but it's a rather valid (and potentially painful) point! Back to balls then. Thumbs Up

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:21 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

i used to ride on balls of the foot until one day I had to do an emergency stop rather quickly and grabbed a load of front brake and no time for the rear and went down, not I go somewhere between ball and arch as means I can still reach the rear brake comfortably (size 11 feet), sometimes I will go to ball if on a long stretch (rare in London)

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Seriously?
If you're leaning over far enough to touch the pegs down I would have thought you'd be repositioning yourself corner to corner anyway.
Also, if your boots allow your toes to fold over, you should probably get some new boots. Maybe with toe sliders.

I'm guessing the bikesafe instructor wasn't giving trackday advice, but sensibly fast road riding advice.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:49 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
i used to ride on balls of the foot until one day I had to do an emergency stop rather quickly and grabbed a load of front brake and no time for the rear and went down, not I go somewhere between ball and arch as means I can still reach the rear brake comfortably (size 11 feet), sometimes I will go to ball if on a long stretch (rare in London)

Were you riding in good conditions with a decent front tyre?

Did the rear lift off the ground or be just about to?

If it wasn't about to, you could have stopped quicker with more front brake.
If it did, then using rear brake wouldn't have really helped!

Quote:
Seriously?
If you're leaning over far enough to touch the pegs down I would have thought you'd be repositioning yourself corner to corner anyway.
Also, if your boots allow your toes to fold over, you should probably get some new boots. Maybe with toe sliders.

I'm guessing the bikesafe instructor wasn't giving trackday advice, but sensibly fast road riding advice.

The less you reposition yourself, generally the more likely it is for your foot to touch down (not hanging off).
British roads also have pot holes and all sorts of nasty 'gotchas' in - even with a toe slider, we're still talking a lot smaller than a knee slider and with less 'give' if it does get caught on something.
I'd prefer to keep them away from any potential, never mind if you did low side and have them even more easily positioned to be trapped.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:31 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

[quote="G"]
bigdom86 wrote:

Were you riding in good conditions with a decent front tyre?

Did the rear lift off the ground or be just about to?

If it wasn't about to, you could have stopped quicker with more front brake.
If it did, then using rear brake wouldn't have really helped!

[quote]

this was way back when I rode a CBR 125 and tyres were decent, rear wheel came up but was a newbie so couldn't control it, suprised it came up so easy seeing as I am 6ft2 and 21st.

I now generally brake about 50/50 front and back but mostly start braking with the back slightly

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if either option is 'recommended' but if you rest the arch of your foot there your toes can be first thing to touch down which can be hazardous if not expecting it.
On bumpy roads (and off-road) it's good to keep some of your weight on the pegs and be ready to half stand up letting the bike bounce around underneath you.
If off roading that same position gives you the ability to quickly dab a foot down which you don't have fully standing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heels. But I believe there's a fix for duck feet.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/90b33cb67cd798707156d2284648d954/tumblr_ow8jrhMUMj1woezklo1_500.gif
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:59 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

this was way back when I rode a CBR 125 and tyres were decent, rear wheel came up but was a newbie so couldn't control it, surprised it came up so easy seeing as I am 6ft2 and 21st.

Likely using your rear brake would have locked up the rear wheel then, causing the bike to be under less control.

Quote:
I now generally brake about 50/50 front and back but mostly start braking with the back slightly

There are some potentially minor advantages to rear first - such as 'settling' the bike first.
Using the rear for 50% of the braking in good conditions is more likely to lead to you locking the rear up under emergency conditions. Which then is more likely to result in a crash.

Braking hard, there should be little weight on the rear - and so trying to put a lot of force through a tyre barely in contact with the ground is likely to overload the grip available.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. It doesn't really matter tbh unless there's a clearance issue, or you're perhaps riding on the rear brake or putting pressure on the gear shifter. Then again, I'm not certain what putting pressure on the shifter would do.

Just do whatever is comfortable unless you have potential for clearance issues.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls of feet feel much more comfortable and I feel more agile when doing so however since I ride in London and there's constant traffic everywhere I have to always hover over the back brake which does make a big difference if a car changes lane abruptly.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls of feet. Because I automatically grip better with my knees when I do so.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

BASTIRT!

Y U Go Show that again?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have such an awkward bike creating such confuzzion... foot plates are much better Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:48 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Why have such an awkward bike creating such confuzzion... foot plates are much better Razz

Because I like going around corners?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been sat here half an hour trying to work out which way I do it and it's both!
It depends on how much hooligan I'm putting into it.

Foot plates? Like what they measure shoe size with?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Foot plates? Like what they measure shoe size with?

Don't be silly. It's where he stands when he's driving his steam train.

P.S. Balls!

Mostly.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either. Both. One of each. One on the ball, the other on the heel pointing sideways with one arse cheek hanging off the saddle. Whatever is most comfortable at the time.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:08 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a nice shaved vag.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls, same technique used in cycling and horse-riding and for good reason. If you're not on the balls of your feet allowing your ankles to rotate and your body to move you're just a sack o' spuds with all weight on the seat and no other feeling.

I hate the ungainly, splayed feet look although I think big fellas squeezed onto small sportsbikes often have no choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Balls, same technique used in cycling and horse-riding and for good reason. If you're not on the balls of your feet allowing your ankles to rotate and your body to move you're just a sack o' spuds with all weight on the seat and no other feeling.

I hate the ungainly, splayed feet look although I think big fellas squeezed onto small sportsbikes often have no choice.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:22 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both I suppose I move about.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:15 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly balls, but sometimes arch (when I am having to do a lot breaking/gear changes) ...

I find balls of feet make it easier to grip with legs and takes a bit of weight off the seat (mine and the bikes') seems to help prevent numb bum on longer journeys.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On longer, more sedate rides, arch, and quite relaxed about my grip on the bike with ankles and knees. If i'm hustling, balls. But I can't ride like that for anywhere near as long.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2