Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cat b confusion help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kneedown1981
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:06 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Cat b confusion help Reply with quote

Hi all

Recently acquired a zx6r f2 for very cheap price.

Bike is in good condition but was a cat c write-off in 2015 that I was aware of.

Have done a hpi check and it says that in 1999 bike was recorded as a cat b.
Since then I have all the mot and has been on the road the whole time. I have had insurance quotes using the reg number and nothing has flagged up about this. I have green slip and DVLA site said last log book issued was January 2018 to the guy I bought it off.

I am confused by this as I thought cat b meant can't be used on the road, but it has been mot,ed taxed and insured consistently after the initial cat b in 1999. The hpi report said may have had a Vic check.
Am I going to have any issues with this I can't work it out.

Anyone ever experienced this issue.

Thanks for any info

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Cat b confusion help Reply with quote

I would say the HPI check is wrong.
There's no way it wouldn't be on the V5.
Plus you'd be pulled up by every anpr camera equipped vehicle you was withing shouting distance of.

Kneedown1981
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:26 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I'm confused, on the hpi check under DVLA part it says not recoded as scrapped, but it's coming up under the hpi check in condition report, at the time it would have been cat b the bike would have only been 2 years old so surely if this was the case it wouldn't have been on the road for the 20 years since

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPI checks can be wrong. My 'busa was showing as sold with finance owing but the seller was adamant he paid for it in total without finance. Turned out the record was for a renault car and they had entered the reg number wrong in the database.

Also, bikes were never subject to VIC check.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Cat b confusion help Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Plus you'd be pulled up by every anpr camera equipped vehicle you was withing shouting distance of.

Bullshit......when did ANPR start flagging insurance categories that hold no legal standing?

Until recentley the DVLA would issue a new log book for cat B if you applied. You could put anything back on the road, the entire category system is a load of crap from the insurance parasites. You won't find anything in actual law defining insurance category write offs and what can/can't go on the road.

Even now that the DVLA won't issue a V5 on certain categories I'm pretty sure they don't have any actual law to back this up.

The "code of practice" is here and at no point references any legislation to back up it's categories https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/files/publications/public/motor/2017/09/salvage-cop-v10-september-2017.pdf

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Cat b confusion help Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Bullshit......when did ANPR start flagging insurance categories that hold no legal standing?

ANPR even flags what sex the insured driver is, the amount of information they display is huge. They have all of the DVLA information and criminal records of the registered owner/insured drivers and MOT and TAX status. They also have links to terrorist databases, so yes they would have the cat status of the vehicle flagged for them.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Cat b confusion help Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
so yes they would have the cat status of the vehicle flagged for them.

Source? You are claiming ANPR shows the status of an insurance industry category that doesn't hold legal standing and doesn't even by law have to be recorded. As far as I'm aware it uses various Police databases (for hits relating to criminal activity), the MIB (for insurance status) and the DVLA (for keepers details & VED status).

Also if you are right (please prove me wrong), then what offence would a person be commiting by driving/riding a Cat B vehicle, therefore causing them to in your words, "be pulled up by every anpr camera equipped vehicle you was withing shouting distance of"?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I worked for a firm that bought a couple of vans. He taxed them both the same time and put the wrong tax disc in the windows. We were working on a London site and sitting in the vans at lunchtime when a beat copper (remember them?) spotted the wrong reg on the tax disc on one of the vans. Since both vans were parked only yards apart it was easy to explain what happened but it made him dig a bit deeper and after making some enquiries on the radio he came back and said "this van is reported as a burnt out write off". Turns out, the firm had bought a ringer.

This was probably 25 years ago so they had total loss info on file even back in the 90's.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Cat b confusion help Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Pjay wrote:
so yes they would have the cat status of the vehicle flagged for them.

Source?

Source is the internet.
The ANPR links with the DVLA, PNC and the MID databases.

It's also enforceable by law, I dont know where you get your ideas that it's for insurance purposes only.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/RP00-95/RP00-95.pdf

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Cat b confusion help Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

It's also enforceable by law, I dont know where you get your ideas that it's for insurance purposes only.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/RP00-95/RP00-95.pdf

You either didn't bother to read that document before posting or you read it but are too stupid to understand it.

Here are the bits that matter (with the important words in bold and underlined).

Quote:
3. Code of practice
A code of practice "for the disposal of motor car salvage to detect and deter criminal
activities" was launched by the insurance industry with the support of the DVLA and the
police in December 1995 and reprinted in 1998. This is a voluntary code between insurers
and salvage dealers, aimed primarily at the responsible disposal of those vehicles written off
by insurers. Insurers are committed to ensuring that seriously accident damaged vehicles are
crushed by reputable car breakers to safeguard against any possibility of them being repaired
and returned to the road.

key word is voluntary, or in simple terms not enforceable by law

next bit

Quote:
All total loss vehicles are placed into one of four categories depending on the extent of the
damage. Vehicles in category A are suitable for scrap only; category B vehicles may be
broken for spare parts and the remains crushed as in category A. Vehicles in these two
groups should never appear on the road.

Key word is should, if you don't understand the meaning of the word should I recommend a dictionary.

So again tell me what law a person is breaking if they are driving around in a (repaired) Category B write off?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing illegal about riding a cat B bike, so ANPR cameras wont give a flying fuck.

It's only very recently that the DVLA stopped issuing V5s for cat B bikes, but the V5 is only an indication of who has the liability to pay the VED. Nothing to do with ownership or legality to be in the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
There is nothing illegal about riding a cat B bike, so ANPR cameras wont give a flying fuck.

It's only very recently that the DVLA stopped issuing V5s for cat B bikes, but the V5 is only an indication of who has the liability to pay the VED. Nothing to do with ownership or legality to be in the road.

It is if you weren't the keeper when it was written off, because failing to notify change of keeper is an offence.

Kneedown1981
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike has been through many owners in its 23 years all of whom have had it on the road, the log book dosent say it is not scrapped with the DVLA so I think I'll ride it and if any issue arrises I'll look at getting anew frame

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible it was actually broken up as parts and someone put the frame and the engine back together?

Anyhoo, the Category system is just a convenience thing. Previous Category status is just that: history; it only needs to be roadworthy in the here and now.

Kneedown1981
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:43 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies guys been very helpful. Just out of interest I read the hpi report again and there is a difference in the wording

Basically in the original cat b incident it says total loss recorded against the registration plate.

And where it was cat c in 2015 it says loss recorded againstregistration plate and vin.

Does this mean anything to anyone

Thanks

Kneedown1981
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to the people who carry out the hpi checks and they gave me some info which may be of interest.

They said a bike of this age has a short vin, and at the time lots of veichles had issues where veichles with longer vins that had the same section of vin as the bike could give a false flag on the hpi. They can do a vin investigation to see if the cat b is incorrect and have it removed.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike is a 2010 cat N bike put back on the road on a 57 frame. It has kept the 57 plate reg but the 2010 mileage. Had two MOT's since and the V5 is now in my name without any issues. The only issue I expect with the bike is when the insurance company tries to squirm out of any payouts in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:51 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2010 cat N bike hasn't been put back on the road. It's gone, it's dead, it's buried. Wink

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The 2010 cat N bike hasn't been put back on the road. It's gone, it's dead, it's buried. Wink

I know, I now have an upgraded 57 plate. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kneedown1981
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:58 - 25 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well bit the bullet and got another frame, you clear and two years newer so gonna swap to that next week Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1