Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

the state of Labour party

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:03 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our society improved as we started to question religion, we'd have hardly any science and in particular medical science if hadn't done so. Our society is regressing because religion is becoming important again.

Mexico I'm not sure about, predominantly Catholic so either all the gangs are being or think they'll be absolved of their sins, or poverty trumps religion making it irrelevant anyway.

My main basis for this thinking is we had thousands of years with religion in various forms, and lived in the dark ages culturally and technologically, then had very rapid development. Unless there's another reason for this?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:20 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religion came about in primitive humans once they, uniquely among the animal kingdom, understood the inevitability of death. It's a frightening prospect so it was necessary for them to come up with the idea of an afterlife. You don't get to live on unless your God decides you're deserving of it, so you obey your God's rules. Those rules can be moulded to suit the High Priests, be they Bishops, Cardinals, Kings or heads of crime families, but they bring some kind of order. Some of mankind realised there is no God but the laws (e.g. The Ten Commandments) still serve a purpose in maintaining society. Culture and technology don't depend on the existence of either religion or atheism. There are prominent scientists working in this enlightened age who still believe in God.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say religion is simply a by-product of the most important factor, which is education, or its lack thereof.

People adhere to whatever rules they believe are best for a good life.

Hence it's possible for Mexican gangs to hit the mean streets, then go home and thank sweet Jesus for providing. Same goes for ISIS and their logic.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Religion came about in primitive humans once they, uniquely among the animal kingdom, understood the inevitability of death. It's a frightening prospect so it was necessary for them to come up with the idea of an afterlife. You don't get to live on unless your God decides you're deserving of it, so you obey your God's rules. Those rules can be moulded to suit the High Priests, be they Bishops, Cardinals, Kings or heads of crime families, but they bring some kind of order.

When and where did that happen? Religion seems to be detrimental or at best inconsequential, general wealth and prosperity seems to be much more important with regards to how prone a society is to robbing or murdering each other.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Some of mankind realised there is no God but the laws (e.g. The Ten Commandments) still serve a purpose in maintaining society.

Thou shall not covert thy neighbour's slaves? Eh? The first five assume you're a jesus freak, except for murdering and stealing which should be givens anyway (I know the latter rarely is) all they do is prove how out of date religion is.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Culture and technology don't depend on the existence of either religion or atheism. There are prominent scientists working in this enlightened age who still believe in God.

They do. If religion had its way we'd still be praying to jebus every time we got sick, no open heart surgery for you Tut Tut If you think I'm taking the piss there are still groups that believe this.

You're looking at the diluted version of Christianity we largely ignore and holding it up as bastion of civilization. It really isn't, it's the hurdle we need to overcome to evolve as a species.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
People adhere to whatever rules they believe are best for a good life.

Unfortunately it's normally however they're raised. I genuinely wonder what the religious take-up rate would be if we didn't indoctrinate children Neutral Take inner-city gang violence, people are brought up in that environment and don't question it, they're definitely not doing what's best for a good life, unless prison or death is an improvement in your quality of life (it might well be).

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 25 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
My main basis for this thinking is we had thousands of years with religion in various forms, and lived in the dark ages culturally and technologically, then had very rapid development. Unless there's another reason for this?

Necessity, who is the mother of invention.

My thinking is that technology is driven by warfare. Part of the reason fatalities were so high in WW1 were that defensive technology had developed (machine guns, barbed wire, artillery) but offensive technology hadn't.

Then a lot of the Rocketry tech came from WWII.

The moon landings were indirectly a result of the above, and the cold war.

Anyway back on topic, I don't get why the 9th Labour flouncer hasn't joined the Flounce party Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 25 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said it was cos he was anti-antisemitism... is that right Thinking but I don't think he's on the stop Brexit/peoples vote bandwagon like the others.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should cheer everybody up...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/corbyn-bookmakers-favourite-to-become-next-prime-minister-as-theresa-mays-brexit-crisis-deepens/ar-BBV5RZv?ocid=spartanntp
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most amusing story I heard about religion:

Moses was spending basically all his free time adjudicating disputes between the Israelites. One day he just had enough sorting out the petty squabbles and buggered off up the nearest mountain for some peace and quiet.

Once he'd had some time to think clearly he thought "This stuff could be sorted out with a few basic rules... ten at the most!"

So he came back down the mountain and proclaimed "Lo! The lord our god has given me these commandments!" Just because it was much easier to convince ppl with a whopping great lie than a few simple truths...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Are you just running through MSN finding any left wing propaganda written by an Independant Journalist?

Not actively looking for it, its just what appears on my newsfeed.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:37 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Are you just running through MSN finding any left wing propaganda written by an Independant Journalist? This is the second thread you've resurrected with this nonsense.

This bloke writes for the Indie, Guardian and Big Issue. No agenda there then. Rolling Eyes

Propaganda? Laughing

What's the agenda? What does the author hope to achieve, personally, by writing such a thing, and what do his publishers gain from it?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Are you just running through MSN finding any left wing propaganda written by an Independant Journalist? This is the second thread you've resurrected with this nonsense.

This bloke writes for the Indie, Guardian and Big Issue. No agenda there then. Rolling Eyes

Where's Saint Tommy and his agenda fit in?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to join the Labour party just to try and root out the communists.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to join the Labour party just to try and root out Blair.

Hate speech Tut Tut

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:37 - 20 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:43 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I'm sure if a white male football fan was also caught, the same level of support would be flowing from Lammy and his ilk...

Meh, the white male football fan stereotype is a loutish nuisance. It's not about race or gender, it's about how fucking annoying a person is to the general public.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religiosity shouldn't be confused with spirituality. Im very respectful of peoples spirituality but i abhor the enforced adherence to religion that many cultures engage in.
TLDR. what thus has to do with a discussion on the labour party i dont know.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Moses was spending basically all his free time adjudicating disputes between the Israelites. One day he just had enough sorting out the petty squabbles and buggered off up the nearest mountain for some peace and quiet.

Once he'd had some time to think clearly he thought "This stuff could be sorted out with a few basic rules... ten at the most!"

Ten? Hardly https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:

Ten? Hardly https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

613?! Feck... that's a lot of shit to remember Smile (I was just misquoting a comedy skit.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11