Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

almost set fire to my 2 stroke

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: almost set fire to my 2 stroke Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've been restoring a 1995 Honda NSR 125 and recently just had a full rebuild of the engine.

I went for a test-ride after receiving my bike from the mechanic. During my fateful ride, I had a loose coolant hose disconnect whilst riding.

It took me probably 4 minutes till I noticed something was wrong. The low end power seemed groggy and when I stopped at the lights it was like sitting in a bloody sauna. At this moment I panicked and caught my eye on the temperature gauge and was horrified to see the needle pinned all the way to red. I rode back home which was only 2 minutes away, on the way back I tried to use no more than 3000 revs.

The bike won't start now and lacks compression, probably the cylinder head is warped.

My question is what do i need to change? what's the damage? Can I just change the cylinder head and fix the coolant pipe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it back, to the mechanic nod explain that the fact he/she forgot to tighten the coolant pipe resulted in the engine heatseizing and fucking the rings, piston and barrel.

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Nobby,

The mechanic won't fix it because the rubber actually perished (should of specified sorry), it was more of a time bomb that took a small amount riding to break.

The engine still turns over without any odd noises and isn't seized. I'm hoping I can fix it myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
Thanks for your response Nobby,

The mechanic won't fix it because the rubber actually perished (should of specified sorry), it was more of a time bomb that took a small amount riding to break.

The engine still turns over without any odd noises and isn't seized. I'm hoping I can fix it myself.

And they didn't advise that you changed it...rather than cobbling it back together?

How low is the compression now?

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they didn't advise on changing it.

Sorry mate I don't know the compression I don't have the tools to measure it. I assume it's a bit shit at the moment, I might try to hill start my bike and see what happens.

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:58 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a decent fire extinguisher in the cave, first thing I bought.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll most likely be fucked now.
Why did you even comprehend riding an overheated bike with no coolant in it for 2minutes to get home? The way you explain it is that you didn't want to damage it further? Err hello!

The head and cylinder need to come off for inspection at the least IMO now. If your lucky it won't need a head skim or a new cylinder. I wouldn't worry about a compression test, until you've had a look at the internals and measured everything up for tolerances.

You need to say goodbye to your mechanic and either find a good shop that's a two stroke expert or else do your own engine work. On something like an NSR I'd want to have it apart every 6000-8000miles at the least, as it's got a Nicasil bore and you don't want to trash that.

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It'll most likely be fucked now.
Why did you even comprehend riding an overheated bike with no coolant in it for 2minutes to get home? The way you explain it is that you didn't want to damage it further? Err hello!

The head and cylinder need to come off for inspection at the least IMO now. If your lucky it won't need a head skim or a new cylinder. I wouldn't worry about a compression test, until you've had a look at the internals and measured everything up for tolerances.

You need to say goodbye to your mechanic and either find a good shop that's a two stroke expert or else do your own engine work. On something like an NSR I'd want to have it apart every 6000-8000miles at the least, as it's got a Nicasil bore and you don't want to trash that.

Stevo thanks for your response that's what i needed to hear,

I continued riding because I'm a bit of an idiot, I'm new to riding and just kind of retreated back to base when I felt worried.

For repair I should expect a new cylinder? I don't know what the significance of having a Nicasil bore is, does this mean it won't need a rebuild? It may sound stupid but I have to ask if will it need a rebuild so soon from just having one.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
I don't know what the significance of having a Nicasil bore is, does this mean it won't need a rebuild? It may sound stupid but I have to ask if will it need a rebuild so soon from just having one.

If you damage the liner, its more often than not a replacement or you can send it to someone who can replate it.

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my bike to a new mechanic. Compression test is 50psi!!!!

I was on the phone to them and they found out the head had 5 bolts holding it on and they were all only finger tight!

The news is suggesting the engine isn't too badly damaged, I had a lot of shoddy work and more loose connections than I first thought.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1