BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RXS100 Issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jambar2587
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:35 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: RXS100 Issues Reply with quote

Hi all, new member here. My names James and I'm after abit of help.

I have a '83 rxs100 that used to belong to father in law.

My 1st issue is fuel drains out the carb overflow pipes, floats are moving fine with no sticking. The fuel tank also seems to be building up pressure, is the a breather located on the tank I can check? I cannot see one anywhere.

The 2nd issue is something I've caused. I changed the neutral bulb earlier and now I have now indicators, headlights or brakelights. But I do have the oil light and neutral light. I am completely lost here. I've checked the fuse, that's all good. Electrics worked fine before I changed the bulb so I know it's something I've disturbed. It's a 36year old bike so I'm guessing the wires have gone brittle and I've broken one. Is it easy to completely rewire a bike?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuel pissing out of the over flow on the carb = float VALVE or seat issue OR the pressure build up in the tank pushing past the valve. remove the tank cap and the pressure valve is in that. if its not run for ages then the float valve might come to with a bit of use but worth inspecting for wear/dirt.

indicators and brake light i think work off the battery, the headlight and tail light may well be direct lighting ( cant remember) but if they are they will only work with the engine running.

Jambar2587
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:03 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bladerunner.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to get it into a garage somewhere. Its causing me no end of headaches. Its had the carb fully rebuilt. But this morning I've notice the throttle cable is frayed and sticking.

The electrics make no sense as they don't even work with the engine running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wodge
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:18 - 28 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrical problems, The headlight is AC so is only on when the engine is running but all the others should be 6Volts (unless it had been modified to 12V). The indicators and the side lights etc are all controlled by the left hand thumb controls where as the idiot lights, oil etc are directly wired so it sounds like the problem is the connection to the control switches on LH handlebar.
Fuel problems, definitely carb related. Float height adjustment is critical on these, it is a big faff adjusting and the mounting parts, then taking off and readjusting but when its correct it stays good usually. You are using an inline fuel filter arnt you? The old fuel tank will have lots of debris in it which will quickly jam up the valve
You can get a rebuild kit from yambits.co.uk. There should be no pressurisation of the fuel tank and i doubt the rubber seal on the fuel filler is airtight anyway.

Although now defunct, yammy100.com was the goto site but you can still get a lot of great info from it via archive.org..

https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.yammy100.com
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1