Best chain lube - Tested

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If you can afford it an oiler works best. The principle employed is that the oil film is continuously replaced and dirt/wear particles drop/drip off.
The trick is to meter the oil feed to prevent over-wetting/waste and ensure the lubricant is replaced.
Oilers use sort-of thinner vis lube than 'Chain Lube' so they can flow.

They are certainly not fit and forget and the chain should be checked for lube just as often as if you were manually lubing.

"An oiler works best" - hmm. Dunno about that - suppose it depends what's meant by 'best'. Imo what works best is cleaning the chain and applying lubricant (EP90 or v. similar) regularly. But if you've got a broader definition of best that includes what's less of PITA, I get how an oiler system might seem top of the list.

That said, I've never got why anyone finds it inconvenient to hoik the fucker up on its main stand and take (literally) 30 seconds to clean the chain w/ a bit of cleanish rag and a tiny slosh of paraffin, then squirt some EP90 on. Done and dusted in 60 seconds. Ok, ok - two minutes tops.

Having to faff about w/ paddock stand definitely adds to it - but even then, it's only four minutes max, which doesn't need doing more than a couple of times a week or else every 250 miles. If you like, you can squirt a bit of EP90 on between cleans.

I got 50k on my niner's oem chain and sprockets doing this. And could've got a lot more, except the front sprocket inevitably gave out. Because I'm a bit loathe to just renew that one sprocket and leave the other two components to carry on, I replaced the lot.

To be fair though, I don't do a great many wet miles. Damp, maybe. But not chucking it down winter bullshit.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning the chain is a PITA and then you need to lube it repeatedly, Nothing will ever be better than a constant supply of oil.

By all means clean the fucker if you wish but frankly you are wasting your time and effort. There's always a couple of drips of oil wherever I park my bike and if oil can drip off, it'll be taking the dirt with it.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:22 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
The Wurth dry lube is great when the weather is nice but I found it had to apply it constantly in winter or the chain just rusted. I now use an auto oiler with gear oil

That was my experience - it has virtually zero corrosion protection.

Gear oil/engine oil or PJ1 Blue Label have always done the job for me.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that cleaning and lubing manually in winter led to a lot more rust in the winter. You need to do it every few days if commuting in really bad weather and it becomes a total pain. The oiler i just leave to do its thing apart from occasional checks to make sure the chain is tensioned correctly and everything is working. It came make s mess around the stand and front sprocket area but I just clean that a couple of times a year. I only clean the chain itself on the odd occasion And have never run into issues. It stays reasonably clean using the oil, only the side plates ever get a little manky. Never any rust underneath though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coz if ye huvnae got a main stand then it means leaning the hoowur over on the side stand to rotate the wheel. Use a paddock stand or one of those faggot fest roller things.
Manageable on a 600 but a bit of a handful on a litre bike.

Oilers are almost fit and forget. i.e. you only have to look to ensure the chain is getting oil and keep an eye on the oil level.
I have an e-scottoiler with a lubetube extended reservoir. I only need to top it up at service time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I have an e-scottoiler with a lubetube extended reservoir. I only need to top it up at service time.

Keep your sordid bedroom habits to yourself.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

Gear oil/engine oil or PJ1 Blue Label have always done the job for me.

Can you still get PJ1 Blue Label? I would kill for a few cans

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:26 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

Shit... that looked better in my head.

***MCN throws Smartphone to other side of room.***

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

If I'm completely honest, I actually enjoyed that brief glimpse into the darker corners of MCN's carnal activity.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

If I'm completely honest, I actually enjoyed that brief glimpse into the darker corners of MCN's carnal activity.

We all need a hobby I suppose Smile

I gave up on honesty ages ago, works for me Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamesthebutle...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 28 Apr 2019    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

I loved his humour yet very informative. Did not know there was something called Muc off kkkk.....Ventalated condom.... hillarious

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably an obvious question/remark, but my concern with Scottoiler type devices is while you're applying lubricant, surely you're not getting rid of the crud that's acting as a rather good grinding paste? Probably good for rust protection/water ingress prevention, but in terms of preventing wear . . . wouldn't a (reasonably) frequent clean and a good application of a decent lubricant be more effective? I guess it depends a bit on use though . . . if you're using it every day then maybe it's the lesser of two evils . . .

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Probably an obvious question/remark, but my concern with Scottoiler type devices is while you're applying lubricant, surely you're not getting rid of the crud that's acting as a rather good grinding paste?.

Not sure it's worth cleaning chains with oilers fitted. Wipe clean everything around them, perhaps...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Not sure it's worth cleaning chains with oilers fitted. Wipe clean everything around them, perhaps...

On the theory that the excessive (?) amount of oil carries the dirty away?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

On the theory that the excessive (?) amount of oil carries the dirty away?

Yes, plus if you're cleaning dirt (grit) off chains (especially unsealed chains), while it's just settled on, it's likely to be washed into the nooks and crannies and stay there when you scrub it off.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:53 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my scottoilers but that could be because i'm lazy.
I am struggling to set the one on my Fazer though i can't get the flow right and it's not the reservoir as i tried the one off my VFR and that was the same.
But both reservoirs work well on the VFR?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Ryan was a vlogger long before FortNine hired him to build a channel with them

Ah, another fucking "Vlogger".

Another reason to avoid it like the plague.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:55 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If road bikes came with proper chain cases half this argument wouldn't be needed.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
If road bikes came with proper chain cases half this argument wouldn't be needed.

This is true.

But c'mon... they would look absolute shite.. Very Happy

This is not simply a punt for scottoiler.

They do explain the theory behind their contraption though.

I have fitted two Scottoilers to two bikes (Kawasaki ER6F and my BMW S1000RR) the Vacuum system and the Electronic system.
I do not need to phaph oiling chains now. I top up the oiler every 6 months or so. If I don't use the bike I don't use the oil.
It is always on the bike so I don't need to rake around the garage for the spray etc.

I personally cannot fault the Scottoiler system. And from what I have seen the Scottoiler system seems to be the more professional looking design. And their customer service is exceptionally good.

https://www.scottoiler.com/explore-scottoiler/what-is-a-chain-oiler/#how_it_works

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
Ryan was a vlogger long before FortNine hired him to build a channel with them

Ah, another fucking "Vlogger".

Another reason to avoid it like the plague.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/044/247/297.png

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:27 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/044/247/297.png

First... The cloud is just someone elses computer.

Secondly MotoVloggers are just so dull. They take something exciting and life affirming and exhilarating and distill it down to dull waffle about how cyclists never obey red lights... Yawn.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Secondly MotoVloggers are just so dull. They take something exciting and life affirming and exhilarating and ... yawn

This. I don't want to watch someone else ride a bike and waffle on. In a lot of cases, they're so focused on waffling to the camera, the standard of riding is fucking horrendous. It's not quite "cager on a phone" bad, but it's certainly some of the most distracted riding I've seen.

I'l just go and, I dunno, ride my own bike.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:29 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

A bit of a styling issue, but effective. These are actually sealed so the oil doesn't get out and water or grit don't get in.

https://ddr-motorrad.de/WebRoot/Store3/Shops/es177658/MediaGallery/bilder/motorrad-mz-ts-250.JPG
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2