Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How good are the ABS systems on older bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: How good are the ABS systems on older bikes? Reply with quote

Without getting into a debate about the merits of ABS on motorcycles, does anyone have any experience of how ABS on bikes of say 10 years or so ago compares to modern setups of the last few years since it became mandatory.

Its on my must-have list for my post-125 bike, but limited funds mean I'll be looking at older bikes which will by definition be a generational leap or two behind what you can get now.

Later Hornets (not sure about the C-ABS on this one), SV650 Gladius, FZ6 S2, ER6 etc are in the ballpark of what I'm looking at for perspective.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to get fancy cornering ABS even on modern editions of those bikes, but the ABS should be perfectly functional, assuming it's still looped into the hydraulics and powered up. As a safety-critical item, they self-check on startup and you should see (a) the light come on with the ignition, and (b) see it go out once you start moving.

Depending on how it's plumbed in, you may or may not feel pulsing on levers when it's activated. But the fundamental mechanism of basic ABS hasn't changed much in bikes.

Cornering ABS with tilt sensors is a different story, but you're not in that category with those bikes.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had ABS on bikes since about 2007. Current bikes 2011 and both ABS.
I don't know what could be done to change ABS.

One of my bikes has 'Race ABS (and DTC)' the other has ASC Automatic Stability Control. Controls brakes and cuts engine power when rear wheel slip is detected.
(I still managed to rip 8" of tread out of two new tires. Sad)

All I could think that may change is tweaked (more intelligent) software and or smaller/lighter braking machinery.

The ABS on my bikes work perfectly.

I haven't sat my arse on a new bike since 2011 so who knows?

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I've been on a bunch as I bought a couple of bikes in the past 3 years and had a loaner while my Brutale was being serviced, and if anything, I found traction control to be a more intrusive thing on modern bikes. ABS, less so.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the last bike I owned that didn't have ABS. Maybe my ZZR1100?

TBH the amount of times I've activated it on any of my bikes is so few I can't remember the last time it happened. As barrkel said, traction control is a lot more intrusive.

So, to answer your question, I have no idea how much better 2019 ABS is to 2001 ABS.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies all. Sounds like there isn’t likely to be a vast difference between old and new ABS which is a good thing for my wallet.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
MCN wrote:

I've been on a bunch as I bought a couple of bikes in the past 3 years and had a loaner while my Brutale was being serviced, and if anything, I found traction control to be a more intrusive thing on modern bikes. ABS, less so.

I have blootered around Knockhill, Donnington and Cadwell Park with the electrickery set to 'Sport' mode on my S1000RR. I honestly never felt the tech tamperfering.

Maybe I need to push the envelope harder.

(Im no' good enough/have the haw-maws to put the chip in the ECU though and give it the Welly though. Embarassed )

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I have blootered around Knockhill, Donnington and Cadwell Park with the electrickery set to 'Sport' mode on my S1000RR. I honestly never felt the tech tamperfering.

I didn't feel the tech interfering on good roads. It's on bad roads with intermittently poor traction that you feel it. Potholes, broken tarmac, undulations that generate a small amount of air for the rear wheel - that kind of thing. A lot of stuff that honestly the TC didn't need to do anything, I was bang upright and traction was going to resume a millisecond later.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the FJ1200 3XW ABS knowing that the standard ABS system is not very good compared to more recent adjustable technology.The pump weighs a ton (just over 7 lbs to be exact) and from what I have been told by other owners is an expensive waste of time when Yamaha then had to cheapen the rest of the bike in order to keep the bike within a reasonable purchase price

https://oi1073.photobucket.com/albums/w384/Rhencullen5/FJ1200/20150624_190413_zpsu2gig5t0.jpg

It was subsequently stripped out and dumped when I rebuilt it back in 2015/16

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1