Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyres - normal chickenstrip, or defective?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Tyres - normal chickenstrip, or defective? Reply with quote

So it was pointed out to me recently that the chickenstrips on my tyres on the Triumph are very hard and shiny. Now they've been on the bike since new, late 2017, but when compared with the tyres fitted on my ER5 last year, the chickenstrips on them, while smooth, are still pretty grippy to the touch. Best way I can describe it is the Triumph's feel more like plastic (they're Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp) whereas the Metzlers on the ER5 feel rubbery, even if smooth.

Is this just the way some tyres are, or is this suggesting there might be a problem here? I did give them a gentle rub with some sandpaper (by hand!) and it's improved it but they still don't feel quite the same.

Any thoughts? Photo below (even though they've been rubbed a bit, you can still see the edges).

thanks Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride harder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip isn't normal Wink Laughing

If you have chickenstrips because you don't use that part of the tyre, you don't have to worry about the grip on that part!

Taking sandpaper to them is just...just... I don't have words.

Nope, I'm with MarJay on this.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

If you have chickenstrips because you don't use that part of the tyre, you don't have to worry about the grip on that part!

I was wondering if you'd reply Laughing

The sandpaper, it was just to roughen the surface a bit . . . like you say, it shouldn't be an issue but I'm still in the "gaining confidence" stage of riding so doubtless I'll push more lean angle over time, my worry is I'll drop onto the super shiny strip and they'll be next to no grip and down I go Confused

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:46 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
my worry is I'll drop onto the super shiny strip and they'll be next to no grip and down I go Confused

You don't have to go from 0 to 50 degrees. Slowly does it, basically.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I was wondering if you'd reply Laughing

Given the thread title, there really was no doubt Laughing

Quote:
The sandpaper, it was just to roughen the surface a bit . . . like you say, it shouldn't be an issue but I'm still in the "gaining confidence" stage of riding so doubtless I'll push more lean angle over time, my worry is I'll drop onto the super shiny strip and they'll be next to no grip and down I go Confused

Thing is, as you gain confidence, you'll slowly begin to use more of the tyre. It's not like you'll suddenly be a riding god and be squirming on the very edge of the grip surface.

Edit: Paddy got there first Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true. Cheers for the replies folks.

So we think they're just normal chickenstrips (on the tyre that is Wink )

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had a couple of mil. until I started to ride regularly in Wales. Then, I got rid of them altogether, on the rear at least.

Back to having a bit now, as I've slowed down a bit, and the roads I use most often now are generally not so conducive to on-the-limit riding. Don't worry about it, and don't give a hoot what others think or say. You pussy Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I always had a couple of mil. until I started to ride regularly in Wales. Then, I got rid of them altogether, on the rear at least.

Back to having a bit now, as I've slowed down a bit, and the roads I use most often now are generally not so conducive to on-the-limit riding. Don't worry about it, and don't give a hoot what others think or say. You pussy Laughing

Laughing

Oddly, the strips on the front are tiny by comparison, maybe 1cm at most - not sure if that suggests I'll run out of front tyre before I run out of rear tyre?

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about chicken strips and just ride the bike. The sort to mention them or care are the mongs you dont want to ride with anyway.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

That's a job for an Angle Grinder or at the very least an orbital sander with 600 grade.
Pro Tip: Wear a dust mask.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about chicken strips bring irrelevant. This guy won't have any:

https://www.kawiforums.com/attachments/two-wheeled-discussion/3080d1201827663-pic-biker-leaning-wrong-way-9393.jpg

Still a twat.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

https://www.kawiforums.com/attachments/two-wheeled-discussion/3080d1201827663-pic-biker-leaning-wrong-way-9393.jpg

Still a twat.

That cunt WILL fall off some day riding like that.

You need to keep in-line with the frame to properly squash the tire. He upsets the bike sitting up like a noob/nob like that.

Weight should be on the inside peg too.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem. No gloves either.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Ahem. No gloves either.

Awww FFS... My Poor Obs sorry. Embarassed

GTR1400
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:31 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Ahem. No gloves either.

Seeing as the photo is from Killboy, I'm guessing this is on the Tail of the Dragon in the states. Rode it in 2017, and lots of people were either partially kitted or wearing no gear at all.

Great road (as well as the others around there... Skyway & Foothills were lovely), but the pace of the average rider is very different to what we're used to this side of the pond.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Still a twat.

Not sure about this. That looks like a good jean angle. Was he snapped at the point of lifting the bike up for the next left-hander? Still, no gloves = twit!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Still a twat.

Looks like something out of a Japanese Autorace...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHHoCDcaww

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobGuts are your tyres set to the correct pressure? being over inflated can make it very difficult to get to the edge of the rear tyre?

Although the lack of wear in the middle does suggest you just ride like a pussy. Usually with rear tyres you'll feel them twitch and slip slightly if they are going, i'm sure yours will be fine how they are but if it makes you feel better then just sand them down, no need to worry about what we think about it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a chicken strip, that's a chicken motorway. have you got stabilisers fitted? Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:18 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbing slightyl on the inside of a hugger can make tyres go shiny like that. Took me ages to work out why I was getting shiny stripes on the far RHS of the rear tyre on my VFR.

Turns out if I had a lot of luggage on, it would push the exhaust very slightly in, then the rubber of the exhaust bracket could JUST touch the hugger under near full suspension compression on the exit to a left hander.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:49 - 24 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Oddly, the strips on the front are tiny by comparison, maybe 1cm at most - not sure if that suggests I'll run out of front tyre before I run out of rear tyre?

Front tyres tend to be narrower to start; I have I think its a 110 front, 150 rear, so 10mm of chicken-strip on the front is aprox 10% of usable tread, whilst on the back, that same 10mm is only about 7% of usable tread... so wear on the front 'looks' like more than ut is, when compared to the back.

Next; Bikes steer by leaning....

And it suggests that the front wheel is 'leaned' more to the surface when steering than the rear.
Ie: to make a turn, you are more often steering the bars, than leaning the bike.

This is quite usual, especially on a road bike, which makes a lot of slower speed and tighter radius turns.

But.... does go with your confidence 'thing', and a less confident rider will tend to hold the bike more upright for slower speed and tighter turns, afraid that without the speed, the bike will fall over.

It's actually quite remarkable just how far over you can lean a bike, at slower speeds, in tighter turns... go look at some moto-gym clips; and using less bar steer and more lean steer, the bike will actually corner better, the steering geometry being pushed much less into the margins where things like trail are trying to work against you and make it harder, trying to make the bike sit up and pull the bars back into straight.... but it does feel a bit perverse to start, and back to the confidence 'thing'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1