Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Choosing a lighter helmet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

I've got a standard motorcycle helmet that I use day to day. Ultra safe but there are two problems...

1) It's massive and I feel like one of those bobble-heads you stick on the dashboard - not that it's all that heavy to actually wear though.
2) It's very well padded, absolutely toasty in the winter which is nice but not so much fun now the days are getting warmer.

Now I'm not intending to do away with this helmet for commuting or long runs as it seems to silly to compromise safety for vanity but I do fancy something lighter when I'm just nipping down the shops for some beers.

Obviously I have, like every pretentious cruiser owner, the de rigueur WW2 German helmet but according to the wife

Quote:
You look a tit in that!

So I guess I'll have to go shopping for something else Sad

I'm currently browsing through the german "Moto" website (has a staggering selection of open face helmets) but if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the pink panzer" "mystery overseas cap"

Wink

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I've got a standard motorcycle helmet that I use day to day. Ultra safe but there are two problems...

1) It's massive and I feel like one of those bobble-heads you stick on the dashboard - not that it's all that heavy to actually wear though.
2) It's very well padded, absolutely toasty in the winter which is nice but not so much fun now the days are getting warmer.

Now I'm not intending to do away with this helmet for commuting or long runs as it seems to silly to compromise safety for vanity but I do fancy something lighter when I'm just nipping down the shops for some beers.

Obviously I have, like every pretentious cruiser owner, the de rigueur WW2 German helmet but according to the wife

Quote:
You look a tit in that!

She's right

HardlyDavidson wrote:
So I guess I'll have to go shopping for something else Sad

I'm currently browsing through the german "Moto" website (has a staggering selection of open face helmets) but if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it Very Happy

Go to an actual shop and try some on, find the one that fits right and looks right, in that order.

For me, the best looking classic open face helmets are the Bell 500 and a couple of products by Davida.

A friend of mine has just bought a Bell and it fits him correctly, but because of the amount of padding modern standards require, he looks like the Mekon, so that doesn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got any helmet advice for you - I think it's the right choice to have a full-faced main helmet and an open-faced one for occasional use.

If you really want to be cool though, you will need to change your bike. Not being a d*ck here, your 125 may be more practical, but you need more displacement for cruiser torque, and some overtaking ability. There are lots of ride-outs and groups that stipulate a bigger bike, and if you want to fit in ("keep up") with that lot, you will need something quite a lot bigger.

Back to the helmet choice thing, I fully support individual choices and freedoms, and I like the look of open-faced helmets but there are 2 big reasons I would never wear one, personally.

I have crashed at 50mph and the quality, full-face helmet I was wearing at the time was scraped and scuffed up beyond belief. All along the left side, from the temple down to the chin area. The amount of damage to that helmet, which scraped down exposing the polystyrene underneath, was impressive. When I imagine what would have happened with an open-faced helmet, it's just an avenue permanently ruled out for me now. I don't go around telling people not to wear open-faced helmets though. If you don't crash you've got no problems.

Also, I don't trust women drivers who might see a man with average or below-average looks with a beard, and react irrationally according to beliefs and prejudices based on overdosing on Eastenders, BBC Two Minute Hates (bitesized!) and late-night frustrated wine binges (I know I put this strongly and it's far from PC, but hey, I live in the real world, it's my hide I have to protect, and I know the dangers posed by school run mums with issues, etc.) A full-face gives me some sort of anonymity from mentally unstable people.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
For me, the best looking classic open face helmets are the Bell 500 and a couple of products by Davida.

Yes, classic styling, thanks for the suggestion.

Bhud wrote:
If you really want to be cool though, you will need to change your bike. Not being a d*ck here, your 125 may be more practical, but you need more displacement for cruiser torque, and some overtaking ability. There are lots of ride-outs and groups that stipulate a bigger bike, and if you want to fit in ("keep up") with that lot, you will need something quite a lot bigger.

"125", "practicality" and "cruiser" aren't words that are meant to fit in one sentence Razz

I like more traditional looking bikes over racers, street bikes etc. but I haven't got the wherewithal to fork out a bag for a full licence right now... along with more money to get a "real" bike after that! I know I don't have impressive bike but I make do with what I can afford Smile

With regards to safety, if I was actually going somewhere I'd have the CE armour on, decent helmet and boots. This literally is just for jumping on the bike and going from one side of town to t'other. Otherwise I'll just keep dragging out the ebike Sad

Still, if I stumble across a nice looking, light-ish full face I shall consider your wise words.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say standard helmet, what's that? My standard and yours may be heads apart.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:36 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell Bullit Carbon.

https://www.jebiga.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Bell-Bullitt-Carbon-feature.jpg

A thing of beauty. And under three pounds in weight.

You don't have to buy a carbon one though. But in either case they show a lot of face, (which is why I didn't
buy one btw,) and look well with shades worn inside. If that's your thing. Eh?

https://www.jebiga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bell-Bullit-helmet-1.jpg

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Still, if I stumble across a nice looking, light-ish full face I shall consider your wise words.

Stop looking at yourself in shop windows or looking at pedestrians to see if they're looking at you, pay attention to the bloody road and get this.

https://www.motocard.com/en/helmets/scorpion-exo_1400_carbon_air_solid_100.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Bell Bullit Carbon...

Very nice!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Stop looking at yourself in shop windows or looking at pedestrians to see if they're looking at you, pay attention to the bloody road and get this.

Nice, I wasn't turning up such great accessory sites. I typed "shiny helmet" into Google...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I typed "shiny helmet" into Google...

Move along now, Ste, nothing to see here.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:21 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
With regards to safety, if I was actually going somewhere I'd have the CE armour on, decent helmet and boots. This literally is just for jumping on the bike and going from one side of town to t'other. Otherwise I'll just keep dragging out the ebike Sad

Bit of a perversion, that notion.
Most accidents happen within 1/4 mile of the home.... that short pop-to-shops, trip is likely to be the most hazardous or hazardouse bit of any journey.
Most accidents occur in town or built up areas, where there are most people, and most vehicles, and most junctions to cause hazard; and significantly occur at sub 30mph speeds, most significantly less than that, A-N-D on the matter of the e-bike, stats for cyclists are inordinately 'worse' per travel mile than for motor-cyclists, and even worse recorded thanks to no mandatory insurance or number-plate.

Ie... IF you are going to crash, it's actually MUCH more likely, that it will be on one of those short 'Pop-to-Shop' trips, you DONT elect to put on so much personal-protective-apparel, than it is on one of the longer excursions, where you do.

Which, either supports the AtG-AtT, all-the-gear-all-the-time, attitude, or my own... you gonna crash, you gonna crash, dont put your faith and head in a gold-fish bowl and think you have the matter covered... ride defensively, try NOT crash, EVERY where WHATEVER you wear... no crash, no need crash protection!

On topic of lids.... I like my Sharke, Evo flip.... it's bloomin heavy for a poly-carb hat, I have to say, but it is almost the best of both worlds as far as debate twixt open and full face goes.

Have to take issue with a couple of bits of this advice though:
Bhud wrote:
I have crashed at 50mph and the quality, full-face helmet I was wearing at the time was scraped and scuffed up beyond belief. All along the left side, from the temple down to the chin area. The amount of damage to that helmet, which scraped down exposing the polystyrene underneath, was impressive. When I imagine what would have happened with an open-faced helmet, it's just an avenue permanently ruled out for me now. I don't go around telling people not to wear open-faced helmets though. If you don't crash you've got no problems.

Begs question to begin with, "Why did you crash?"
Then, of the observed carnage, what 'actually' did a full face 'save' compared to an open?
The difference between an open and a full-face, is pretty limited to the chin-bar, where, actually there's bog all impact absorbing polystyrene.. so if that was damaged in the off, it wasn't in the zone an open would have had any anyway, it would likely have made bog all odds.
But, the 'fear' illustrates, how we modify our behaviour based NOT on the actual risks of coming off, or even the risks of being hurt, BUT, simply on how horrific we IMAGINE an injury might be.... its one step into delusional reasoning.. one step too far IMO.
And THAT, is an abdication of 'control', from the off, before you even put your hat on, or pick up your keys, giving way to reasoning NOT based on the actual facts or road conditions or actual risks, BUT, deferring to pure emotive FEAR... it demonstrates, that before you even start a journey, you are letting fear rule reason, not the other ways about and NOT making rational decisions, before you even start, based not on facts, but fears.
And safety, is in your head, not what you put it in... and IF you aren't making rational decisions based on fact from the off, what chance have you got, later on?

Bhud wrote:
Also, I don't trust women drivers who might see a man with average or below-average looks with a beard, and react irrationally according to beliefs and prejudices based on overdosing on Eastenders, BBC Two Minute Hates (bitesized!) and late-night frustrated wine binges (I know I put this strongly and it's far from PC, but hey, I live in the real world, it's my hide I have to protect, and I know the dangers posed by school run mums with issues, etc.) A full-face gives me some sort of anonymity from mentally unstable people.

Another it of emotive prejudice.... when some-one sees you in a full face hat, they dont see your face; ergo they don't see a person; they dont see YOU.
The shift in attitude you get from other people; whether its steering wheel gnashing car drivers, pedestrians pushing prams infront of you, or the attendant at the petrol station, between an open or a full-face, is palpable.
A-N-D, it is absolutely INCREDIBLE, how much more 'friendly' their reactions are, when you show them your human face, via an open or flip, rather than some sort of faceless cyborg, in a full-face.
It IS something that psychologists have noted; as humans we are imprinted with not just pattern recognition to 'look' for a human face; to the point that a colon, dash and bracket, : -) get 'seen' as a face, (especially by computers lol! Smile)even though they are ordinary text, and on their side, but also our instinct is to be that much more empathetic to the face when we see it.
Wearing both full-face and open, and with the Evo, having the ability to switch on the move twixt the two, it is something that I can attest to, as really working; to the point, I pull up at a petrol station, fill up, walk in, hat on, and have the attendant comment on the weather; when a chap in a full face pulls up, and the same apparently friendly attendant, is ranting at them over the microphone, to take their helmet off, or they cant turn the pump on! A-N-D be utterly oblivious of the contradiction, as I walk out with mine still on.....
Back on topic:
HardlyDavidson wrote:
Now I'm not intending to do away with this helmet for commuting or long runs as it seems to silly to compromise safety for vanity but I do fancy something lighter when I'm just nipping down the shops for some beers. Sad

See start of message, that 'may' be a bit back-uds.
How heavy, 'ho-hum' may not actually be the issue, but how bulky.
As said, the Sharke, is a dang heavy hat, and weighs in, as a supposedly 'light' poly-carb, as heavy as many old fashioned glass-fibre full face.
As said, I really like the thing, mostly, in the ability to wear as an open, most of the time, and 'flip' when I start pressing on a bit, or the rain gets a bit hard. Which emphasises that it isn't so much the weight of the hat that's an issue, but the balance; in the open position a lot of the weight is shifted over the top, and backwards, when closed, it comes down and forwards, and you notice the shift.
Meanwhile, most manufacturers cover the range of approximately nine hat sizes,with perhaps just three different size of 'shell', making smaller fittings simply by putting in thicker packing.
This means that if you have a slightly smaller head than average, it's likely that you'll get a larger than average shell size, just with more padding in it; where if you have a larger head, you will more likely get a smaller shell with less padding.
Here, the more expensive hat makers may score, because they often claim to make five or even seven different sizes of shell to cover the size range, and use less padding to get the fitments.

But... fitment is all.... and what fits one person well doesn't necessarily fit another so good... case of try before you buy, and kissing a lot of frogs to find your prince... and even then... might be a bit of a road on the road! But... you pays your money and takes your chances....

Like I say, safety is IN your head, not what you pit it IN.

On that score, this 125 you have on L-Plates, and critisising the cost of DAS... IF you are really bothered, STOP pigging about and GO GET A LICENCE!

Cost of a hat is a recurring one, they last about three to five years or ONE crash.

Training is for LIFE not just licences... and that little bit of learning MAY be, the one thing that 'saves' you needing the protection of a crash hat, by saving you crashing!

Hmmm.... £300 for a new helmet? OR 1/3 the cost of a DAS course? You do the sums and work out which is likely buying you 'more' safety....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
the most hazardous or hazardouse

Teffers, do please explain how the 'e' on the end alters the meaning? Perhaps instead of buying a helmet, the OP should buy a helmete?
Be short and concise in your answer.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Neutral
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:02 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5d/05/ac/5d05ac16c89bd35dfbf932c30b493e96.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef, as ever, the font of all wisdom Razz

Seriously though, I didn't know about the lid sizing and padding thing - makes sense to me now Smile

With regards to safety, aye... I'm starting to regret my latest ebike build. The thing's faster than a "legal" moped and more agile than a dirt bike - far too much fun. And as I'm tearing around on familiar local roads I'm more likely to take liberties Sad

Hmm... there's an idea: sell the ebike and spend the money on the bike licence. That would make me sad though.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at these a lot in recent weeks, as I intend changing to an open fisog lid, as well.

There are lots of comparisons and reviews on the 'net, and I think as ever in the end it just comes down to personal choice.

I know which I would really like - a Shoei J-O or RJ Platinum, but they are £300 and more (the actual one I'd like is £349) and I rarely spend over £150 on a lid, because, well, why? I don't have a lot of cash to start with, so...

However, I may be swayed this once - what I intend to do myself, is go down to Sportsbikeshop, where they have loads on display, and try on as many as necessary until I'm happy - then see if I can afford it, or am prepared to put it on the never-never card.

The ones that many sites say are best (Bell is one) I don't really like the look of.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I concede this was a "bad" question. I think I'd be better off with one really good, comfortable helmet than a couple of naff ones. Probably gonna have a look at the Bullitt after I've got a full licence Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:27 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airoh helmets can have pretty compact shells.

I've got one of their J106 modular ones (removable chinbar, approved as both full and open face) and to quote my mate "That looks like it was painted on". I was so pleased with mine, I bought a second one. It's small, light, the removable chin bar is nice if I want some open face action. You can hardly "see" it when it's on and fatigue due to wind blast is minimal, built in sun visor, pinlock ready. The downside is it is LOUD. Earplugs a must.

They don't officially sell that model in the UK though. They are sized on the small side.

Other models of Airoh ARE officially imported int the UK.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:20 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

My mate has his one and only crash in the next street travelling at 12mph and smashed his collar bone after meeting the curb after going over a bonnet.He no longer rides anything.
ALWAYS WEAR FULL GEAR.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:22 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

My mate has his one and only crash in the next street travelling at 12mph and smashed his collar bone after meeting the curb after going over a bonnet.He no longer rides anything.
ALWAYS WEAR FULL GEAR.

So. I'm interested. Which bit of gear should I wear that would prevent me fracturing a collar bone when hitting a kerb from the height of a car bonnet?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wear the German pisspot if you like it, bollocks to what the wife thinks.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can either retreat or learn from your mistakes and move forward...

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
leolion wrote:

ALWAYS WEAR FULL GEAR.

So. I'm interested. Which bit of gear should I wear that would prevent me fracturing a collar bone when hitting a kerb from the height of a car bonnet?

I've often pondered on this.

I've had a fair few offs in my biking career, but only twice was I ever glad I was wearing 'gear'

Very early on I was T-boned by a car with a metal number plate, which left a substantial cut in the MX style boots I was wearing, then part of my most serious accident involved face planting the back of a Dolomite, putting a big stripe of Triumph Tahiti blue paint across the chin bar of my Bell Star 3.

Right from the start, I've always worn good quality gear, but the aforementioned is the only time I've damaged a crash helmet, or anything really; ordinary jeans have always been enough to protect my legs, I might've put the odd scuff on a glove, but I've never had to replace anything (apart from that lid) because it was accident damaged.

I'm probably tempting fate by saying all this, but it does make me wonder sometimes why I bother; the most likely thing to happen is that I will hit something infinitely less movable than me, so what can I wear that's going to stop me from getting hurt?

I'll wager it won't be a flexible jacket with a bit of high density foam here and there, or boots with some hard plastic on the front.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I'm probably tempting fate by saying all this, but it does make me wonder sometimes why I bother; the most likely thing to happen is that I will hit something infinitely less movable than me, so what can I wear that's going to stop me from getting hurt?

It's just a game of Russian Roulette. But I was told after my big accident that the full leathers I was wearing had helped to hold me together somewhat, perhaps increasing my chances of survival. Funny, never worn full leathers since Confused

Wish I'd had a better back protector on the last one though.

All a question of degree, I think.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Shaft wrote:

It's just a game of Russian Roulette. But I was told after my big accident that the full leathers I was wearing had helped to hold me together somewhat, perhaps increasing my chances of survival. Funny, never worn full leathers since Confused

Wish I'd had a better back protector on the last one though.

All a question of degree, I think.

I suppose things have moved on in the 38 years since I started riding on the road, back protectors weren't even a thing in 1981 (I know Barry Sheene used to gaffa tape a bit of foam to his back, not that it did him much good Laughing ) but I'm still not all that convinced.

For example, I mostly wear an A* textile jacket, which has armour at the shoulders and elbows; it's the first jacket I've ever owned with armour and I didn't buy because it has that, I was more interested in it's waterproof qualities and the fact that it seems very well made, so it might last a while.

If I'm sitting in McDonalds, eating my burger with my elbows on the table, that armour can move all over the place, so the chances of it doing much to protect me, when I'm tumbling down the road at 30+ mph, are pretty slim.

I'm certainly not saying everyone should immediately chuck all their gear away and ride around in t-shirts and shorts, but I do wonder if there's a slightly unhealthy obsession with gear.

(Tef mode on) Perhaps the emphasis should be with not having the accident in the first place (Tef mode off).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2