BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finished

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:31 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Finished Reply with quote

My project was finally finished today and is ready for MOT this coming week...

Suffice to say, nothing worked when I got it. It was a rust-heap. Countless hours spent on it. Now everything works (even the dashboard lights). Starts on the button and behaves.

Last edited by Bhud on 14:10 - 03 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thumbs Up an old kwak gt 550 methinks Thinking

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Yes, that's right.
The fairing confuses me too. Laughing
It's the same (original) colour as the rest of the bike, and has the same gold pin stripe. It's that colour on the inside too. There's a fairing subframe that seems to be original as well.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 28 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
pepperami wrote:

Yes, that's right.
The fairing confuses me too. Laughing
It's the same (original) colour as the rest of the bike, and has the same gold pin stripe. It's that colour on the inside too. There's a fairing subframe that seems to be original as well.

That's basically a copy of an XJ900F fairing, I think made by Powerbronze.

The colour of the bike might be original (that was one of the early colour schemes, with the gold wheels, 84/85 I guess) but the stripes aren't, so somebody has been doing some personalising.

If that is an early one, make sure never to overload the rear rack, they were known to break.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 28 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I thought GPz550, Unitrack model.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 28 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Shaft wrote:

I thought GPz550, Unitrack model.

Could be, but I think the GPz fairing was a slightly different shape, especially the side wings, which were slimmer.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:01 - 28 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the battery electrolyte level sensor?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea. I do like it though. It may have to make way for a V-twin project next, as I think I've explored old mid-sized fours enough now. I don't want to add any wear by loading the rear rack at all.

My guess is it's a GPZ550-type fairing (maybe a factory option) and the pinstriping might not be original.

Haynes says:
"Z550 G1, G2 - the GT550 models

Sol in the UK only these machines are fitted with shaft drive, built in luggage carriers, large capacity fuel tanks and fully adjustable air suspension at front and rear to equip them for the role of touring motorcycles. Although both are finished in Candy Wine Red the G2 model can be distinguishef by the stripes on the fuel tank (against the G1's plain tank), by its black wheels (as opposed to the G1's gold components), by the chromed exhaust system and by the polished highlights and side cover ob its engine/gearbox unit (as opposed to the all-black finish of the G1)."

It then goes on to explain engine number differences.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Even the battery electrolyte level sensor?

It's present but redundant, as I've fitted a new sealed battery. I could put a 1 k Ohm resistor on it and connect in series with the pos terminal, but I don't really want to mess with it any more.

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Also nice to see one not fall victim to the café craze for once.

The fairing does look very much like a GPZ550 A-model nose cone fitted with a taller screen. Looks like it should give a useful amount of wind protection.

I'm very fond of Kwak 550s, though I prefer the non-GT flavours. About 10 years ago I had a GT550 which was a great bike - I spent over 12 hours in the saddle one day without discomfort, and the tank range was excellent. On the down side it was a bit of a lump, and under-geared for a touring bike. This last feature I found particularly annoying and is shared with the other models - to my mind there are too many gears too close together, with top being far too low. At least on the chain drive models you can raise the overall gearing a bit.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
Very nice. Also nice to see one not fall victim to the café craze for once.

The fairing does look very much like a GPZ550 A-model nose cone fitted with a taller screen. Looks like it should give a useful amount of wind protection.

I'm very fond of Kwak 550s, though I prefer the non-GT flavours. About 10 years ago I had a GT550 which was a great bike - I spent over 12 hours in the saddle one day without discomfort, and the tank range was excellent. On the down side it was a bit of a lump, and under-geared for a touring bike. This last feature I found particularly annoying and is shared with the other models - to my mind there are too many gears too close together, with top being far too low. At least on the chain drive models you can raise the overall gearing a bit.

Yes, when trying out the bike (and it's new to me, so I did it gingerly) I found it was a bit weird that it didn't seem to matter which gear I was in - it would pull away regardless. It's a remarkably stable and planted machine though. Tips into the bends so easily, and the comfy seat and riding position makes it a serene pleasure. Slow-speed maneuvres and turns are so easy as well, which is a surprise given its weight. But the thing I appreciate the most is the air suspension. I'm used to slightly pushing down on the pegs when going over a bump/pothole, but this thing just glides over speed humps and other road imperfections like they aren't even there. I think a lot of riders of modern bikes would be in for a surprise if they tried one of these.

Oh, and that village bloke talking about gelling with a bike... Hahaha it took me 40 minutes on this. I really like it, although it might come up short if I were to push things a bit and ride my favourite roads a bit quick. Overtaking everything in sight and keeping up with group riders is probably not possible with this bike.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Cool

I do like the older kwakers!.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1