Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 04 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I usually get DOMS - (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness for the lurkers) but I don't consider it an injury as such but more of a nuisance to train around.

The advice is to rest though? Further use of affected muscle can aggravate? Or keep to light use? A short walk I had to do today eased it a little. It's when I've been at rest for a while, and then stand up that it's at its worst. Then eases a little when I've been on my feet for a few minutes. The injury doesn't like stairs!

Quote:
if you are getting a little more tender each time, i.e getting noticeably worse than the time before, that is something to watch though

Not sure, will see when this has had time to heal/settle.

Also, considering how little it took to cause it this time, I'm wondering whether to continue as I was when I caused this episode. A shorter session than 10mins hardly seems worth the bother! Last time, it was 30mins when I wasn't used to that exercise that caused it, and easing back to 15 for a while was ok, building again from there.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try walk/run/walk?

Go to a park, warm up with a walk. Jog to a tree, walk to the next one, jog to the next one, walk to the bench, run a little faster to the lamp post, walk to the next tree etc

that way you can get much more than 10 minutes exercise in, whilst avoiding sustained running for a longer duration than 20 seconds or so?

might help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 04 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey chickenstrip - for DOMs try an Epsom salt bath or a really cold bath for as long as you can stand, you can grab Epsom salts from a pharmacy. Then get a foam roller and give your muscles a bit of a massage. Stick with some low impact exercise like thx1138 suggested but you can definitely still exercise when you are suffering so long as you don't go overboard with it. Apparently eating steak helps with muscle injury recovery because it contains protein to help repair muscle damage!

Get yourself some compression socks to wear whilst you are training, I wear them and they really do help to prevent cramp, shin splints or DOMs in my calves.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Try walk/run/walk?

Go to a park, warm up with a walk. Jog to a tree, walk to the next one, jog to the next one, walk to the bench, run a little faster to the lamp post, walk to the next tree etc

that way you can get much more than 10 minutes exercise in, whilst avoiding sustained running for a longer duration than 20 seconds or so?

might help?

That's pretty much how I was trying to get into running, but knees didn't like it Sad
Might try again though, just to be certain, since no knee pain lately.

@Waffles: thanks for the tips. I have a pretty high protein diet already, so that much I've got Thumbs Up
Cold baths?! Are you out of your mind?! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:17 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 4:15 am, just eating breakfast, three scrambled eggs bit of toast, coffee and orange juice

Going to attempt to cycle 130+ miles at dawn, hopefully get a good 50 or 60 miles before any traffic appears

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
It's 4:15 am, just eating breakfast, three scrambled eggs bit of toast, coffee and orange juice

Going to attempt to cycle 130+ miles at dawn, hopefully get a good 50 or 60 miles before any traffic appears

Folded arms No such time, Hitler invented it in the war to break us Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 miles in great time, then mechanical breakdown Crying or Very sad

another 12 bike bodged miles to get to a big town, and ride over

my times were blisteringly quick (for me) my average moving speed is garbage cos I didn't have auto pause on and didn't think to stop STRAVA until long after I'd broken down, but got about 90 achievements on STRAVA. Got a string of PRs. But, if I'm honest with myself, I don't know if I'd have got up the hill I broke my bike on. It's a sod.

Burned a couple of thousand Kcal and had a good work out, but again another disappointment. Getting a bit fed up with breakdowns, and cock ups now.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

got bike fixed Tuesday, today I rode 18 miles doing Deliveroo at luchtime, then this evening I did a Time Trial and came 8th out of 20, with a pretty decent time

it was raining and windy, and I still managed an average moving speed of just under 21mph quite pleased with that Very Happy

I reckon if I give it everything i've got and the weather is nicer, I might just nick a 23mph

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 10 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a Judo class last night.
Just to see how I’d get on , nothing serious, I’m to old for that.

Moving about and using muscles I haven’t used for years Shocked !
Feeling a bit achey this morning.
Funnily enough it feels like a good ache Thumbs Up
A bit like I’ve had a good stretching exercise work out?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

did hanging sit ups just now

okay, I did one.

one.

but it's the first time I've managed one whole hanging upside down by my feet sit up, without using my hands to hold onto a strap or anything Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entered my first chip timed race today and finished it! I had to stop a couple of times for a breather but I made it over the finish line despite it being insanely warm.

I got a medal too Very Happy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I entered my first chip timed race today and finished it! I had to stop a couple of times for a breather but I made it over the finish line despite it being insanely warm.

What do you want, a medal?

Razz well done, it's addictive

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

What do you want, a medal?

Razz well done, it's addictive

Hells yeah I want a medal!

My next race is at the end of June and I plan on doing a 5k to 10k transition group to help reduce my 5k times. It is a little bit addictive Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycled about 15 miles this lunchtime doing a mix of Deliveroo and Uber eats.

Went out with my run club tonight, ran just over 10k

My hamstrings and hips were "making their presence felt" but didn't stop me from running.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered a 10k that's towards the end of the year.

I'm regretting it already Laughing I don't go running. 3 runs up to now, longest 2.5 miles.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

I'm regretting it already Laughing I don't go running. 3 runs up to now, longest 2.5 miles.

2.5 miles is okay, 10k is about 6 miles. So get up to 3miles.

If you can run 3 miles a couple of times a week, you can do a 10k. Though not a bad idea to up the distance to 10k, you've got plenty of time. Thumbs Up

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

2.5 miles is okay, 10k is about 6 miles. So get up to 3miles.

If you can run 3 miles a couple of times a week, you can do a 10k. Though not a bad idea to up the distance to 10k, you've got plenty of time. Thumbs Up

Yup, I use the cross trainer at the gym to warm up, the difference between that and running is mad Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

did another time trial last night, the 10 mile course, it's harder than the 11.3 course, in that it's not as fast, it;s got tighter turns and rougher roads

last night was quite windy and not very warm, and I got my second ever fastest time around it

but, last year when I got my fastest time, i really prepared and was wiped out after

This time, I ran 10k two days earlier, did deliveroo every day, including the day of the time trial, and was back working today.

I got round the hilly ten mile course in 29:04 with an average speed of over 20mph. The guy that won it, and the only rider to overtake me, did it in 20:49 with an average speed of over 28mph. Shocked And, he had to stop completely dead at the bottom of the big hill to give way to a farm vehicle! Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great run with my club on Thursday and today I marshalled at Parkrun Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I had a great run with my club on Thursday and today I marshalled at Parkrun Thumbs Up

Well done. Marshalling is important, 25 times and you get a t-shirt.

Today I cycled 65miles doing Deliveroo. I am tired.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out / was reminded of the importance of rest as well as activity.
Last week was very busy with both work and training.
By the end I felt bloody awful.

Two days later after a good rest and I feel so much better.

I recon that if I had of continued to train, I might of hurt myself.

Back to training on Tuesday and I’m looking forward to it again Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I found out / was reminded of the importance of rest as well as activity.
Last week was very busy with both work and training.
By the end I felt bloody awful.

Two days later after a good rest and I feel so much better.

I recon that if I had of continued to train, I might of hurt myself.

Back to training on Tuesday and I’m looking forward to it again Smile

I think this is exactly what I've done Sad
Had little sleep, didn't eat anything for some hours and energy was low, but trained anyway, and now I've hurt my back. Didn't feel anything 'go' while actually working out, but did find it harder than usual, but still completed the session. Result: back injury (or muscular or something) - probably due to poor posture while weight training because I was tired? Two days enforced rest so far, and I think it might need quite a bit longer, just hoping I haven't added something else permanent to the list.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have gone for a run early this morning instead of mid afternoon, it was hot and humid. My pace was pretty good at the beginning but it dropped a lot over the course of my run! 5k in 37minutes is slower than usual but its still 5k and makes up for my lack of Parkrun yesterday.

I'll take it Thumbs Up

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done 2.4 miles, 5 PB's in there, I'll take that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 25 of 29