when you dont 'gel' with a bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
why did nobody ever tell me to push the footpegs whilst cornering before?

I first read about this technique in a publication called "Road Racer" magazine back in the 80s. Tbh, as MarJay says, counter steering with handlebar pressure is more effective, but sometimes, pushing down on one or other peg can make the bike feel more 'planted' in a corner.

Countersteering is something you do without realising it, but it's worth experimenting with a bit (gently!). Things like shifting on your arse to the inside a bit (you don't have to be hanging off like Marquez for this to help), dropping the inside shoulder, and most of all, looking at where you want the bike to go...

You can't be expected to know all this stuff 5 minutes after passing your test. Some riders never pick up half of it. And not all of it really helps a lot in day-to-day riding. But it's worth knowing about - like having a box of useful tricks, some will work well for you, some not so much. And too much knowledge in one go can overwhelm a new rider. A step at a time. And your first step is......yup, you've guessed it.....

MILES!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:30 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MILES!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/0/0c/Miles_O%27Brien%2C_2369.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/180?cb=20081122010720&path-prefix=en

"You called? Fancy a game of Daerts Julian?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 miles in 7 months isn't a lot. I think some distance and some confidence would help a lot. But you can't expect to abose the throttle on sensibly sized bike in the way you can on a 125 or 250. 3 and a half years into a bandit and the throttle still isn't an on/off switch, overdoing it a little pulling away gets some tyre noise and instability and it's a thing to respect. I think redline in second is ~70mph and the throttle isn't hitting the stop in adverse conditions. But you're not going to legally get everything a bike has to give on a public road.

Consider an ERS (from £20), IAM course (£150) or one of the closed course machine control courses that are more oriented around road riding than trackday riding. I2I springs to mind as I've been considering their courses. Currenly doing IAM in the car which tbh is an exercise in vagueness.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 05 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking where you want to go was the most valuable driving lesson I ever learned - at the Anti-Schleude Schule in Zürich (skidpan training).

Converted it to biking and it has saved my bacon on a few occasions.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get the point of this thread. I'm trying hard to convince myself that I'm happy with the Snarley, but ... its taking a long time to "gel".

Its fun, its loud, blindingly cool, it attracts the fellas' attention, blah blah, of course it does: the bike screams "hellkat" on all counts.

But I think its going to be far too high maintenance for a bird like me (i.e., lazy).

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What the Ron Haslam track day really wont teach you is slow speed control with a heavy bike.....

I learnt how to do that by commuting across London every day Cool Thumbs Up
On whatever bike I had.
Somewhat nerve-wracking, admittedly and not everyone's cup of tea.
But it can be a fun game. Laughing

Alanz1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:45 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed to this thread.

I’ve got the baby MT, and if I ever get round to sitting direct access, then I expect to jump to the MT 07.

Al

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread's dead baby, thread's dead.

OP is going to pussy out and go back to a 125. Although I think a bicycle might be more suitable.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a tricycle... Laughing

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:06 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Thread's dead baby, thread's dead.

OP is going to pussy out and go back to a 125. Although I think a bicycle might be more suitable.

who said im gonna pussy it?? I was just wondering if i might like my old bike more, but im still a big boy for this summer, who knows my pair my even grow a little over the sunny months..

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:41 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm rethink required!, i cant insure a 125 anymore its more expensive than what i already have!, plus there's the cost of change and depreciation to contend with!

looks like im in for the long haul and im gonna gain experience!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
hmmmm rethink required!, i cant insure a 125 anymore its more expensive than what i already have!, plus there's the cost of change and depreciation to contend with!

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe things will work out for you eventually though, despite this set-back.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:56 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
leolion wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe things will work out for you eventually though, despite this set-back.

oh stuff it chickenstrip, im just gonna have to follow your advice and ride the bloody thing i have hard! (At the risk of this sounding like an excuse once my hayfevers buggered off!)

Alanz1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:13 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

Looks like we need to swap our MT’s 🤣🤣🤣

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 09:10 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ducati 1299

Had it almost a year but i just cant seem to fall in love with it.

On track it was sublime but thats the only place and even then it was an absolute handful but thats half the fun on track.

Its a terrible road bike, doesnt like going below 50 and anything below 20% throttle.
When you do give it the beans you arnt just in points and fine territory its just prison time.
Its way way way way way too fast for the road, any road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:
My Ducati 1299

On track it was sublime but thats the only place and even then it was an absolute handful but thats half the fun on track.

Its a terrible road bike, doesnt like going below 50 and anything below 20% throttle.
When you do give it the beans you arnt just in points and fine territory its just prison time.

I owned a 1299 for 20 months and I found it to be really quite road friendly.

Unlike the 4-pot superbikes, the 1299 gearing isn't super tall, which means you can access all of the power at (just about) legal speeds, albeit briefly! Took mine over to the IOM, and it was brilliant fun on A/B country roads with no limits to worry about.

I also found it to be smooth and happy at a steady 30/40mph, so long as you don't try to knock it right up the gearbox. Keep it in 1st/2nd, where it should be at those speeds, and it's all good.

Relatively comfortable for a superbike too, especially if you're a bit taller.

So it worked for me. Now that Ducati have switched to V4, it'll be the last proper V-twin superbike. I only sold mine as I fancied a change and didn't really want to keep it out of Warranty.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 00:54 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Wave2k wrote:
My Ducati 1299

I owned a 1299 for 20 months and I found it to be really quite road friendly.

Unlike the 4-pot superbikes, the 1299 gearing isn't super tall, which means you can access all of the power at (just about) legal speeds, albeit briefly! Took mine over to the IOM, and it was brilliant fun on A/B country roads with no limits to worry about.

I also found it to be smooth and happy at a steady 30/40mph, so long as you don't try to knock it right up the gearbox. Keep it in 1st/2nd, where it should be at those speeds, and it's all good.

Relatively comfortable for a superbike too, especially if you're a bit taller.

So it worked for me. Now that Ducati have switched to V4, it'll be the last proper V-twin superbike. I only sold mine as I fancied a change and didn't really want to keep it out of Warranty.

My experience has literally been the opposite for all those things , it's comfortable but heat is a serious issue here in the summer heat it's actually laughable how hot it gets .

I test rode the new V4s at the track and although smoother at lower speeds it's even more silly at high speeds .

All in all they are great bikes on track, but definitely wouldn't own another as a road bike .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:
My experience has literally been the opposite for all those things , it's comfortable but heat is a serious issue here in the summer heat it's actually laughable how hot it gets .

Funnily enough, exhaust heat is less of an issue in the North of England than it is in California. In fact, Ducati could market underseat heating as a positive feature.

I know what you mean, but in reality in the UK, it was an irritation for me on only one ride on an especially hot day (30C+ ambient). Other than that, it was a non-issue (or a benefit) for the other 5000 miles.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 08:32 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Funnily enough, exhaust heat is less of an issue in the North of England than it is in California. In fact, Ducati could market underseat heating as a positive feature.

I imagine so

I'm not even in California and it's bad , anything above 30c ( which is most of July/August) it's miserable.
At least Californias heat is dry, it's swamp heat here in Maryland.

Also I forget to mention, you have to bleed the brake and clutch master cylinders every so often otherwise they go completely spongy .
The clutch was so bad it didn't actually work .

Never had a bike do this after sitting for a couple months, but looking it up it seems it's extremely common.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:09 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive slowed my riding down and have stopped trying to ride it like a sportsbike, ive gone to a cruising staying at 55mphish style and it feels much better now im not trying to hustle it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4