Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where do I find a decent Systems Grad in London?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Where do I find a decent Systems Grad in London? Reply with quote

Not entirely on topic, but I'll ask anyway.....

At work, we're looking for a systems grad to support our IT manager.

Not the most glamorous, but we're hoping the kid will pick up the ropes pretty early and we can then introduce them to SQL development and project management. Potentially, if they stick at it, they could be pretty senior within 5 to 10 years .....

I'll be honest, we've drawn a blank so far, so they've brought me in to take a look. We've used consultants but I think our job spec was pretty weak, I think Grads these day need a clear 5 year career path, anyone with any experience of how to pitch junior level jobs to these sort of people ? I want them to be enthused, but I also want them to realistic about the next 2 - 3 years ....

Has anyone had better luck with certain recruitment websites over others for these sort of jobs ? The pay is ok, by the way, given its based in the city .....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it have to be a grad, is the first question? I am one myself, but it isn't the route I took into IT. Over the years, I have seen plenty with the aptitude to do well in IT, that aren't grads, aptitude and a good attitude with a willingness to learn are at just as preferable to someone with a degree.

You say the pay is OK, given it's in the city, but, is it OK for being in the city, for example, I reckon 50K in the city, is probably more the equivalent of around 35-40k everywhere else. Plus, it's in the city, the location itself will put many potential applicants off, no matter how much you flower the job up. You might have more success if the role is advertised as being predominantly a remote role, perhaps, be in the office once a month, at least then you'd have a chance of attracting the bedroom dwellers ..

A good job will sell itself, you say you have a weak job spec when dealing with consultants, well, that spec is going to look weak to other prospective applicants, so, firm up the spec as well.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
Not entirely on topic, but I'll ask anyway.....

At work, we're looking for a systems grad to support our IT manager.

Not the most glamorous, but we're hoping the kid will pick up the ropes pretty early and we can then introduce them to SQL development and project management. Potentially, if they stick at it, they could be pretty senior within 5 to 10 years .....

I'll be honest, we've drawn a blank so far, so they've brought me in to take a look. We've used consultants but I think our job spec was pretty weak, I think Grads these day need a clear 5 year career path, anyone with any experience of how to pitch junior level jobs to these sort of people ? I want them to be enthused, but I also want them to realistic about the next 2 - 3 years ....

Has anyone had better luck with certain recruitment websites over others for these sort of jobs ? The pay is ok, by the way, given its based in the city .....

+ Talk more about your company, what its like etc. What kind of feel has it got, like is it more formal or more startup? Are people wearing chinos or a suit? What's a typical day like? Get one of your devs to give their perspective on your website. Too often recruitment firms put up ads like "SQL software dev: Major software firm in Surrey blah blah" so recruits have no idea about you at all.
+ Talk more about what kind of projects you work on and what kind of things they should know and what kind of things are just desirable. Links to example code even better. Many of them will only have done a small amount of SQL so they may not feel able to do the job.
+ If you mean in terms of perks and stuff probably more flexibility. Salary is usually more interesting to middle aged people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty age-ist, I could probably do that job Razz

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely ditch the grad requirement. I started in IT completely by accident with just 5 GSCE's, now I'm a security engineer for a large insurance co.

Grads will (mostly) want to start in a mid-tier position in their chosen profession. Those that didn't excel end up in Estate Agents or Recruitment Consultants! Laughing

A junior with GCSE/A Levels, a few brain cells and a natural ability to think logically/be analytical can really excel in IT.

Industry certification is worth far more than a degree after just a few years. People know that and will expect the employer to assist with professional training (Microsoft, Cisco, VMWare etc) as they're far too expensive to obtain privately (for most).

Make sure your advert points our the perks of the company, not just line after line of 'essential skills'. You want someone who fits the company not just the skill set.

Remember a brainy cunt, is still a cunt.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Seems pretty age-ist, I could probably do that job Razz

Trying to find a middle aged guy to do a junior SQL job, who isn't already a senior SQL guy? I suspect such a people are even rarer.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:15 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, that's great. Thanks very much. I especially like the comment about the vibe of the company, makes a lot of sense.

Cheers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1