Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone use Zopa?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Anyone use Zopa? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just a curiosity, as I have several thousand sat in a UK "savings" account generating stuff all.

Was thinking of moving my money out to a country with interest rates, or taking advantage of a currency crisis somewhere (South Africa Laughing)... or possibly some Zopa.

So, how safe is something like Zopa. Do they have any real protection on lenders?

Quote:

Zopa lenders’ risk statement
The terms used in this statement are defined in the Zopa Principles. Zopa enables you to make fixed rate loans of 1 to 5 years to many other people under individual Loan Contracts. Zopa is not a party to those Loan Contracts, but agrees to administer them on the terms of the Zopa Principles. Before we allow each Borrower to receive your money, we make identity, fraud and credit checks. We are a member of CIFAS, the fraud prevention service. We also use the Borrower’s credit reference, and certain additional Information that we verify, to assess the affordability of the loan. If we find that the information was inaccurate or deficient the Loan Contract will not proceed.

Your loans are repayable to you via the Zopa Members Account in monthly instalments of principal and interest. You lend your money in small amounts to different borrowers, so if one borrower cannot pay you are less likely to lose your capital, although your overall rate of return may go down. Missed payments will be pursued by a collections agency, unless or until a default occurs or the Borrower dies or is unable to pay. The expected and actual default rates are explained here, and your projected return is stated here, taking into account fees and default rates. The amount of income tax payable is dependent on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future.

The Loan Contracts do not contain security provisions, but Borrowers pay to us a Borrowing Fee that includes an amount to cover the risk of not repaying your loan. We pay that amount into the Zopa Safeguard Trust that is held by P2PS Limited in trust for Lenders. If a Borrower defaults, dies or cannot pay, you assign your Loan Contract to P2PS and make a claim on the Safeguard Trust for principal and interest due. P2PS must act prudently when deciding whether to pay out. This means that you are unlikely to lose the principal amount you lend at Zopa, and your rate of return is also protected. If P2PS declines a Safeguard Claim, P2PS will commence recovery of the debt due under the relevant Loan Contract and any sum recovered will be paid to the Lender, less any enforcement costs that could not also be recovered.

If you need access to the money you have lent out before your Borrowers are due to pay it back, you can use the Rapid Return Facility to transfer your Loan Contracts to another Lender. You can access your money any time so long as there is another Lender to transfer your Loan Contract to. This may occur within a few business days, but there is a chance that you may not be able to access your money when you want it. Zopa will charge you a small fee for using that feature, and if your Loan Contract is for a lower interest rate than the incoming Lender’s offer, you will have to pay that Lender the shortfall.

Your money is held by us in trust on your behalf in a segregated bank account so that it does not form part of our assets and would not be available to our creditors in the event of our insolvency. We administer Loan Contracts in a way that ensures that the fees payable in relation to those Loan Contracts will be sufficient to cover the costs of administering them during any winding down process if we were to cease trading for any reason. Zopa customers do not have recourse to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, fucking the banks right off would be lovely. Hence my preference for something like this.

I'd imagine government asset seizure of something like this might be a bit more difficult.

Giggidy.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:34 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into it a few years ago when I had some savings for a house deposit. The way it was written didn't inspire confidence, essentially if I wanted to lend in the high risk/high reward bit there was a chance of losing a lot. I think this has improved now more people use the service so if someone defaults I would be one of 100 lenders in that pool.

I went for a stocks and shares ISA in the end. It was a bit more fun because it updated regularly - either daily or weekly - with the current balance in the fund. It was volatile, some weeks it would gain 15%, some it would lose 10%. I could pull the money out at any time, I think I made 10% on it in 10 months.

Also consider putting it in stocks and shares with a iii account. The general rule is to look for companies or sectors with steady growth and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

The outlier alternative for you is to take advantage of your current circumstances. You're in India doing something charitable. It's a growing economy, you know people, and you're numerate and literate. You could probably do quite well out of offering small loans to small businesses at high but not loan-shark interest rates. This has the added benefit that you can get a good price on products or services from said companies while they owe you money. My brother did this for 6 months in an African country. I did a similar thing when my tattooist was moving shop and needed a loan, I got a big discount on my tattoos while he was paying me back.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, that's the issue I have as well.

I like the idea of lending money, but leaving India soon (same company hopefully) and most of the people here are hardcore bastards when it comes to money. It's inspirational or something.

I did get approached by my landlord to lend him money at 12% interest. That seemed pretty shady, and he has total shitfits occasionally which made me less keen.

Compared to that, something like Zopa seem pretty cool.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I did get approached by my landlord to lend him money at 12% interest. That seemed pretty shady, and he has total shitfits occasionally which made me less keen.

If you ever decide to do something like this then you must talk to both a solicitor and an accountant. If he doesn't repay you then going after the guy with an axe will give some satisfaction but not enough. Also the Tax man can get funny about earning money in unusual ways.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:39 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with Ratesetter for about 2 years. They're similar to Zopa but I preferred the way Ratesetter works by giving you far more flexibility and control over your money. You can lend multiple lumps of money at different term lengths depending when you want it back by, reinvest automatically in the market of your choice etc. I saw Zopa as more of a simple deposit-and-forget setup.

P2P lending isn't compensated by the FSCS, but Ratesetter has it's own provision fund of eleventy million in a ringfenced bank account specifically to pay lenders back if a borrower defaults, as such they 'haven't lost a penny' since 2010.

Last year was deemed "not much riskier than a bank"

And without really trying I've managed an average of 3.85% per year (4.8% gross minus income tax at 20%) Put your money away longer and you're looking at well above 5% net return for very little work and risk. PLUS much satisfaction at not letting banker wankers cream off the top of your savings.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 113 days between these two posts...

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking at putting some money into one of these p2p investments.

Any more experiences to those above?

Ta
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1