Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking for Digital Speedometer to replace Honda CLR 125.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Looking for Digital Speedometer to replace Honda CLR 125. Reply with quote

Hello, First time on this forum, desperately looking for some help. There are a few other things I need help with but I will keep it simple today.

Currently looking to replace the analog speedometer on my Honda CLR 125. I should mention that it does not have a tachometer.

Looking for a Digital speedometer with a Tachometer that connects to the spark plug. Would also like it to read the speed from the drive cable. I am willing to buy a converter if I can find one.

The Ideal one would look like the Daytona 8K RPM Gauge but with more information.

Maximum budget is £150, less would be ideal.

From what I have researched the maximum RPM is 8.25k

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:44 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPM on that is probably more 9-10k, Honda single.

You'll have a hard time replacing it, I'd honestly just use what its got, otherwise its going to cost the value of the bike to get it working. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£150 budget? You must really love that bike Smile

Not quite sure why you want digital speed but running off the drive cable?!

Cheap digital speedos are usually driven by sensor spotting a permanent magnet on the wheel whizzing by and then calibrating for wheel size on the gauge set up.

These things start around £20 from China Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at ali-china-express. Otherwise I have put a bicycle computer on the MZ. It indicates speed up to 120 km/h, which is more than enough and it costed me next to nothing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was mad enough to contemplate putting a hand-made bike through the MSVA I actually got a cheapo LCD unit:

Has a digital gauge for RPM up to 12K, fuel level, battery status, shift indicator, high beam and signals...

RPM pulse input, magnetic speed sensor.... cost about £25.

Derma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:21 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
£150 budget? You must really love that bike Smile

Not quite sure why you want digital speed but running off the drive cable?!

Cheap digital speedos are usually driven by sensor spotting a permanent magnet on the wheel whizzing by and then calibrating for wheel size on the gauge set up.

These things start around £20 from China Smile

When I first got the bike, the drive cable unit was destroyed so ordered replacement part from Germany and want to get the use out of it.

Also, I think the bike would look weird with the unit in place but not cable coming out.

And I do love the bike, it might be a hunk of junk, but I have had a lot of fun repairing it and I have a lot of plans for it. I am tempted to keep the original speedometer but it would be useful to know the RPM to set the idle screw etc.

Currently still deciding and thinking of options. Need to replace the headlamp unit first as the previous owner put a dirtbike style one on which is a minor failure on the MOT but we did a little bit of jerry-rigging to get it in compliance. Then I need to sort the carb out as it leaked loads of fuel, its been running fine for months but now its playing up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1