BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Choosing a lighter helmet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my last spill, I'm pretty convinced a decent back protector would have saved me from two fractured vertebrae. I landed on my back on the sharp edge of the tarmac, where it ended at the grassy verge (no kerb). Sheer bad luck. I had landed on my back twice before in spills - no damaged back, but a couple of cracked ribs each time. On one of those occasions I had a proper jacket with armour, the other, I was in a t-shirt. Go figure.

I too only wear ordinary jeans these days, have had several spills in them, and only sustained a grazed knee on one occasion.

Like I said, Russian Roulette.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
With my last spill, I'm pretty convinced a decent back protector would have saved me from two fractured vertebrae. I landed on my back on the sharp edge of the tarmac, where it ended at the grassy verge (no kerb). Sheer bad luck. I had landed on my back twice before in spills - no damaged back, but a couple of cracked ribs each time. On one of those occasions I had a proper jacket with armour, the other, I was in a t-shirt. Go figure.

I too only wear ordinary jeans these days, have had several spills in them, and only sustained a grazed knee on one occasion.

Like I said, Russian Roulette.

There is another angle on that Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:15 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I know Barry Sheene used to gaffa tape a bit of foam to his back, not that it did him much good Laughing

Old Visors.
He claimed he invented the 'segmented' back protector, using tank tape and paddock scrap, sat on the back of a van!
Knee sliders too, but they were bits of old tyre gaffered to his leathers.
He was also taught to ride by Franco Bulto, whilst his Dad tried to make an expansion chamber work, for him, allegedly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Shaft wrote:
I know Barry Sheene used to gaffa tape a bit of foam to his back, not that it did him much good Laughing

Old Visors.
He claimed he invented the 'segmented' back protector, using tank tape and paddock scrap, sat on the back of a van!
Knee sliders too, but they were bits of old tyre gaffered to his leathers.
He was also taught to ride by Franco Bulto, whilst his Dad tried to make an expansion chamber work, for him, allegedly.

I think you'll find it was Barry's dad that became known as Franco, while Sr. Bulto had the nickname Paco, so when he split from Montesa and formed his own company, it became BULTopACO.

I also doubt that Barry learned a lot about riding from Paco, as he was a marketing man, not a racer, unlike Frank, who was not only a top drawer mechanic, but also an accomplished racer, that competed several times at the TT

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:17 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Choosing a lighter helmet Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I also doubt that Barry learned a lot about riding from Paco, as he was a marketing man, not a racer

Paco... errr.. you may be right... but the history books say his full name, was Francisco Xavier Bultó. "Paco" his nick-name.

It gets more confusing with the Montesa connection, where Bulto was one of the founding partners, and I believe chief Engineer, at the start. Bit like Lyons and Weslake conceiving the Jaguar engine on fire watch during the Blitz, Permanyer and Bulto conceived the Montesa, whilst on a similar watch during the Spanish Civil war; Bultaco being the mechanic, Permanyer, the money-man, getting the financing for the firm mostly from his Family, at the start.

Bulto, left Montesa, mostly over a boardroom disagreement over his wish to go road racing, and set up Bultaco on his settlement when he went.... and ensuing resentment by a certain Sammy Miller, who was promiced a works road-race ride by him, and used to develop a trials bike, rather like had happened at Areal!

Enter Bulto's assistant at Montesa, Pedro Pi, who inspired by a UK 'Trials' demonstration, had the notion to make a trials bike for his son, from an 80cc commuter.... rather than a full-size adult bike.... which became a 'product' for company pandering to the then US boom in bike sales, and steered Pi, and Montesa as Pi was promoted into Bulto's old job as Technical director, to pursue off-road and trials machines, rather than road-racers.

Perversely, Bulto, although passionate about road-racing, actually championed Millers trials-bike into full-scale manufacture, essentially chasing the US Dollar market, and got the 'over the counter' Sherpa on sale two or three years ahead of Pi at Montesa, making the first 'Cota' trials bike.

NOW.. back to Barry....

The lore says that when Bulto, taught him to ride, young 'Sheene' was only about 9-10 years old; and Bulto, had been talking to Sheene Snr about his road-race aspirations, but left, to let Sheene Snr get on with the job on the race bike, and 'baby-sit' Sheene Jnr, and keep him from re-organising the spanners!

Whether Sheene Jnr had never ridden a motorbike before is debatable; but the incident was recounted by both parties as Bulto 'teaching' Sheene Jnr to ride...... probably on one of Bultaco's demonstrator bikes, and likely a child size version of one of them, rather like the bike Pi built for his son.

From there? Barry's rise in Road-Racing initially came as a teenager, on bikes prepared by his Dad, Frank, supplied by Bulto, still passionate about Road-Racing, but keeping Dictator Franco's firing squads at bay, selling trials bikes, to pay the bills.

Interesting, if often fragmentary commentary on the relationships coming out of the "Classic" GP circuit, where Miller finally got to ride against his nemesis, (and good friend, I believe) Agostini, where I think Steve Parish, Barry's team-mate had a fair few rides, and Barry did some of the commentating... I dont think 'Yer Maun' ever really got over the double betrayal of being denied a works GP seat by both Areal/BSA and Bultaco, and it was interesting to see that Agostini commented that he rode everything like it was 1967, and a works contract still hung on his winning!

B-U-T.... hard to sift the wheat from the chaff in an awful lot of anything our Barry ever had to say really! "Splash it all over 'arry!" But the Riding lesson from Bulto, almost certainly happened.... how much Barry may have needed them? Remains speculative, really, but Barry almost certainly wasn't out of short trousers at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 06 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying on 6, I went for the AGV K-5. They did have a Rossi one, but I like matt black, if I can't get dayglo

https://i.postimg.cc/DyD4d0x7/agv-huh.jpg

Have to weigh it....

1420g - not that light, but a darn sight lighter than my flip-ups.

It also has a very good visor, very thick and aerodynamically shaped (pointy at the lower centre).

At first I thought it had too much space around the ears, but it turns out there are a pair of pad inserts in the box that you can fit after purchase (and a gauze filter for the ventilation hole) so all very comfy.

https://i.postimg.cc/K8Mk9bWB/agv.jpg

£260 with 2 year AGV warranty included

I had wanted the Shoei J-O from a styling perspective, but I looked like something out of Wallace & Grommit with that on Rolling Eyes

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 06 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a full face Viper carbon fibre lid from the NEC last year, move and light, and comfortable too, but surprisingly not much lighter than the cheap Box helmet I have.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 06 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Biltwell Lane Splitter in matte titanium to add to my lid collection, with a silver mirrored visor.
It's a no frills lid so relatively lightweight. I'll have to weigh all four of mine and see whats what. I'd be interested
to see if it's lighter on the scales than my Shark Spartan Carbon is.

https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0220/1183/biltwell_lane_splitter_helmet_750x750.jpg

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a genuine suggestion I'd advise you take a look at the Shoei rf1200 or NXR. Shoei is known for having small compact shell sizes, the rf1200 is expensive but probably your best bet.

For a better price you could also buy a Soumy Apex, I've got one myself and really love it. I got one in all black with a black visor and it looks great. The helmet is a real bargain and super light.

Both helmets also come in a great selection of graphics if you look out for them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/333178074265?chn=ps
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-HELMET-SUOMY-APEX-JAP-GOLD-VISOR-MIRROR-O-SMOKE/132502761357?epid=856107158&hash=item1ed9c7af8d:m:mLt1LMtAuvmHgpyuzrFWAWg

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This K5 open face helmet has completely changed my riding experience. The view is awesome and it makes a big difference.

I just realised it has pinlock, too (a lot of the visor had been steaming up, despite it being open face and a huge space at the bottom of the visor) so that's next on the shopping list and will add nearly £30 to the cost of the helmet.

Been using Pinlock on my last 3 lids and wouldn't be without it now.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came pre-scratched, which can be a good or a bad thing.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/325408

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/nolan_n87-n-com_martz_scratched-chrome.jpg

I did check the weight but after sticking bluetooth and helmet cam to it I can only surmise that helmet weight doesn't bother me at all.

Pin lock is a must, as is full face for me. Prefer ratchet over d ring too Whistle

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I just bought a Biltwell Lane Splitter in matte titanium to add to my lid collection, with a silver mirrored visor.
It's a no frills lid so relatively lightweight. I'll have to weigh all four of mine and see whats what. I'd be interested
to see if it's lighter on the scales than my Shark Spartan Carbon is.

https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0220/1183/biltwell_lane_splitter_helmet_750x750.jpg

Haven't weighed them yet but have been out in this a couple of times now so can review it a bit better.
Wide aperture, I have almost open face lid levels of peripheral vision. Thumbs Up Visor is good quality and hasn't steamed
up, the level of tint is decent and there's room for shades if you need more tint. Airflow to mouth is tremendous.
Inner liner looks okay, the padding inside my other lids is more plush but each of those were at least £100 over the
price of this. You can buy spares easily enough for it though including a new liner. Visors are £30-40 there's a range
of about 9 different colours available. Simple visor catch system which I've already become quite fond of. One of my
favourite features is the strap snap for the extra bit of hanging chinstrap. Great idea. All the aggressive looks
of the Simpson lids, but £100 less. I like it.

https://i.imgur.com/vjE1oy8.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:21 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like WTF....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Predator-Helmet/283479514172

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I said I'd leave it till after getting my licence but I tried on like every helmet in J&S today...

Turns out I have a fat head!

After losing the will to live on the full face helmets I tried on this:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/frank-thomas-ftdv31-open-face-helmet-matt-black/38318.htm

And, in XL, it fits 100% perfectly!!!

Seriously though, all the full face helmets needed ear-removal to get on but then fitted or were easy to get on but my noggin felt like a ball bearing ratting in a cup Sad

After a forced non-vegan diet of bugs over the last few days I really didn't want another open face helmet so this one is a nice compromise.

Top marks for the guys & gals at J&S for their patience!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spaffed my wad over this one. Right up my street!! Wish I'd seen it sooner. Oh well, next years lid then. Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been eyeing this, but missed the boat

https://www.ruroc.com/en/atlas-limited-editions/634-atlas-ronin.html

https://i.imgur.com/PQByDmc.jpg

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:

Was it Marushin or similar who popped up a few years ago with similarly eye catching designs?

I lumped for a Viper RS1010 at the NEC, nice and light, only worn it a handful of times though Rolling Eyes been using my Box lid instead for the trip to work etc.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:

Amazing design... Beautiful balance of colours and form. Some thought has gone into that.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I just spaffed my wad over this one. Right up my street!! Wish I'd seen it sooner. Oh well, next years lid then. Laughing

Medi-Eeeevil, like it

https://www.fc-moto.de/WebRoot/FCMotoDB/Shops/10207048/49E0/D5C7/C05E/4727/7A87/3E70/5055/6761/Bandit-Alien-Carbon_1_neu_ml.jpg

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Was it Marushin or similar who popped up a few years ago with similarly eye catching designs?

I remember they did one that looked like it had ears Very Happy

Just did a quick search and looks like they did quite a similar one called shivan.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 03 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out riding all evening with the new helmet. Much better fit = not feeling like a bobble head toy Thumbs Up Also feels a bit lighter than my old helmet Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to the party, but when I first saw this thread I'd only just been spammed on farcebuke by adverts for these. Couldn't find it at the time, but it reappeared today - low profile helmets with a smaller shell to cut down on the bobble head look :-

https://www.fat-skeleton.co.uk/collections/daytona-open-face
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2