Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Not on a 2T.

However there is a bottom end full of molten aluminium and likely one side of the crank fecked.

Must have been thinking of another thread Smile And not really looking at the picture Rolling Eyes

Yesterday, after washing the bike, I took it for a spin to dry/burn off any residues. And the bike felt a bit rough. I left it as the weather report was nice and sunny for today and went to work on the ebike.

Got back from the office and gave the bike a check over in the evening sunshine and when I got to the valve cover I discovered the inlet valve was totally loose! Glad I didn't decide to go to work on it Smile Apparently the muppet who last adjusted the clearances hadn't tightened up the locking nut enough...

<---

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted brand new headlight unit and swapped the facia glass for a better one...

https://i.postimg.cc/hPTYRWtm/fazlites.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/nhxPHRXP/fazinsts.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/VkFH5qML/fazjobdone.jpg

Just leaves chain & sprockets to do this week before 48,ooo service next week.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Is it aluminium like their rear sprockets?

Nickel-Chrome-Molybdenum alloy steel.......whatever that means Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Is it aluminium like their rear sprockets?

Nickel-Chrome-Molybdenum alloy steel.......whatever that means Smile

A grade of hardened, stainless steel Thumbs Up

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 15 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started putting new chain & sprockets on, but sheared caliper torque arm bolt! Shocked

See workshop thread Sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only did I actually speak (in a surly sort of way) to another Harley rider ...

... but I pulled up beside one at the traffic lights, revved me engine, and grinned at him.

Shit. I never meant for that to happen Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:
Fitted brand new headlight unit and swapped the facia glass for a better one...

Interesting. I thought they were a "sealed unit". How did you do it?

Edit: oh, you meant the glass on the clocks. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I oiled the control cable connection points - it's amazing how a drop of oil on a nipple (ooo err missus) can make things much easier.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
- it's amazing how a drop of oil on a nipple (ooo err missus) can make things much easier.

You could mention that to the "Don't Mistake the Dog Toys for a Dildo, Dear" brigade over there *beckons towards the other thread*

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:31 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the standard number plate back on for mot tomorrow, I'll wash it first thing in the morning.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:04 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at it's flat rear whilst I sat on the side of the A46 just outside Bath awaiting recovery.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride_to_die wrote:
Put the standard number plate back on for mot tomorrow, I'll wash it first thing in the morning.

What size is the smaller plate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear-right indicator looked a little sad:

https://i.imgur.com/oDtDi6T.jpg?1

I noticed it was loose the other day so just wacked some tape round it... didn't survive the ride back from the city Sad

All fixed now plus some threadlock this time!

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the chain & sprockets done. Runs so smoothly now, but I didn't think I'd notice much difference, considering the wear wasn't that bad on the old metalwork.

The previous geezer had put the nut on the front sprocket spindle the wrong way round, though - friggin duffer! So that accounts for how much quieter it's running - no wobbly sprocket.

Don't think it'll come loose, either:

https://i.postimg.cc/kGsxGmJ5/sprocketdone.jpg

that tab was ridiculously big. The soft link (just to the left there) went on easy peasy too, which was a relief.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:58 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

What size is the smaller plate?

6" x 4".

Passed with no advisories.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

insured it, 1hr and 7 minutes before insurance expired.

but, no procrastination bonus Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experimental seat repair complete.

The last time I rode the bike was over a week ago before going on holiday. It had taken only a few rides for tiny tears in the seat cover to grow into huge splits. I wasn't happy with how it looked. Nothing makes a bike look like a scrapper faster than a damaged seat.

I could have just recovered the whole seat with new, elastic seat vinyl. That's cheap and it does work, but it would have meant throwing out the original seat cover and giving it a more modern, plain look.

A company online makes seat covers for this bike that look as if they might be original, but they don't have the same pattern on them as the original, and no doubt they would be paper-thin, unlike the beefy original vinyl. Plus they want £40 each for them, and yes I have £40 in my life to spare but it just wouldn't ever be worth it for some embossed vinyl. Plus, you don't learn any new techniques by just replacing stuff.

What I had to hand were a few scraps of vinyl fabric, a can of Rustoleum direct-to-vinyl spray and a half-used bottle of gorilla glue. I took out the seat cover staples and completely removed the seat cover, put patches of vinyl on it from underneath (slathered in Gorilla glue front and back). I put the cover back on and sellotaped it down where the glue was, for the glue to work. Then stapled the cover back onto the seat base again, and removed the sellotape.
As the glue dried, it expanded and you can see where it slightly seeped into the gaps where the splits in the vinyl were. The fix appeared to be good, and so today I just removed it from the bike and gave it about 3 coats of Rustoleum direct-to-vinyl. This is supposed to be a flexible spray. Currently, appears to be a drying to a half-polished-shoe sort of shine.

I'll give it a couple of months riding around with the seat like this. If it turns out to have been a successful repair, I'll replace the Kawasaki logo which got lost under the direct-to-vinyl application. If it hasn't worked, the splits reopen, the respray cracks, etc. then I'll just replace the seat cover.

https://i.ibb.co/0y224gp/seat-repair.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck the fairings on the K1300 beast after a long-term lay down.
Mot tomorrow.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs off of the NC23. It had been pissing petrol out so obviously a sticking/dirty float valve. I found what looks like a piece of fingernail in one of the valve seats Shocked so that explains that. There was a reasonable amount of crud in the float bowls plus one of the main jets was partially blocked and one of the idle jets too.

Hopefully it should run a lot better now. Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode it, in the evening sunlight, from Bermondsey to Docklands.
In my t-shirt sleeves and jeans with my trouser legs rolled up.
People stared and were awestruck by my glorious biker-chickness.
A man in a white Audi slowed down and waved at me on the A13.

On the way back, it pissed down, summer storm stylee, and I was a sorry-ass no wet-weather gear drowned-rat dickhead.

Cool

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serviced the TL.
Oil and filter
Cleaned the air filter
Changed the plugs
Adjusted the chain

Took it for MOT only to find the shop is shut for the bank holiday.

Nice to have a quick ride though, it feels so narrow compared to the Busa!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Brake Pads on my CBF500 replaced, the cheapo Brenta pads lasted
6000 miles and I ran them down with .5MM to spare. Got EBC's on now
but when Wemoto have an offer on I'm going to grab a shitload of pads.

The Brenta pads work just as well as another other brand.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viffer:-
Nipped up the exhaust on the front left cylinder.
Fitted a proper gen 4 grab handle I spotted for fewer beer tokens than is nortmally required. She had one handle off Gen 3, and while it was functional, it was a giant ballache to get the seat off.
Started sorting the fairing panel. Epoxy putty over stainless steel. Once it's cured, I'll finalise the panel fit and shape with a dremel, flat it back, primer it and probably wrap it.

Rat:-
Chain.
Chucked some MipaTherm on the exhaust.
Replaced snapped indicators.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kawasaki's forks were leaking again so I tried a 'SealMate' to hook any grit out from between the fork and the oil seal. The tip bent and creased so I cut strips from a milk carton and slid those past the oil seals instead. I ended up taking the front wheel, mudguard and fork guards off to get proper access. No visible grit came out. Put it all back together (front wheel in the right way this time...), the dust seals were an extremely difficult fit. Bounced the forks and saw no leaks so I went out for a spin. Leaking badly still. It's all OE seals and bushes, and the forks were rechromed fairly recently so I guess it's just Sod's Law, some seals last for years, others pop early. Try again.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork oil replaced, rear shock swapped out for a considerably younger (oem) job, headstock bearings removed and replaced (these are basically consumable items on the zx9r and have a lifespan of about 10k, if that), and new tyres fitted. Predictably the bike has been transformed and rides like it's 10-15 years younger. Why the fuck I let things deteriorate to such an extent before shelling out is beyond me - well, until I tot up the running total of how much this bike costs me per year. That's the downside of relentlessly piling miles on though.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 338, 339, 340 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 339 of 409