Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where should I post my thread?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
View previous topic : View next topic  

Potatoes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:21 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Where should I post my thread? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Am new here so I thought I'd ask where best to post a thread which will be an ongoing request for advice on a project which may be around for a very long time if I actually start it Smile

I don't know whether to put it in "workshop" or "adventure & touring".

The project/query is the following;
I would like to do some travelling around a couple of South Asian countries on motorcycle.
Said countries have really expensive and restrictive import regulations. So I thought I'd make use of one of the millions of honda CG125s (or similar) I could find over there.

But I've been on those bikes before and I'd really like some improvements. Aside from them all being very poorly maintained and overloaded for every day since they came out of the factory. Bikes (and most cars/trucks/buses) over there don't have any suspension, they have undamped springs.
Nearly every time I was on one as a passenger the lack of damping resulted In rather terrifying resonant bucking up and down as the curves in the road fed into the bike.

So my potential project is to make a reliable and safe touring bike out of one of the very common base bikes available over there. This will also be handy for repairs while on the road.

I would like to take necessary components with me from the UK as the variety of products available in shops over there is very limited and very overpriced for anything not made domestically.
I plan to either send them freight or even a few bits in luggage as allowance is generally 40kg+

I would like advice on what kind of upgrades are possible, worthwhile and ideal parts to use.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:26 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either.

But probably touring & exploration.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Where should I post my thread? Reply with quote

Potatoes wrote:
I would like to do some travelling around a couple of South Asian countries on motorcycle.
Said countries have really expensive and restrictive import regulations. So I thought I'd make use of one of the millions of honda CG125s (or similar) I could find over there.

Go there & buy a new one, sell it for 1/2 price when you've finished with it, doing someone a favour.

Potatoes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:37 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Where should I post my thread? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Potatoes wrote:

Go there & buy a new one, sell it for 1/2 price when you've finished with it, doing someone a favour.

Seems like a good idea in theory, but remember I said anything not made domestically is overpriced?

A new bike would cost at least 50% more than it would over here. And unlike over here, it's not easy to find deals on 2-3 year old bikes. No one would consider selling a bike unless it's very old and falling apart.

Next, one of the big reasons using a local old bike is a good idea. Is to blend in. All police, toll bridge operators and officials you might bump into would trip over themselves to squeeze anyone who looks wealthy for a bribe. In fact they do it to everyone but they'd expect a bigger bribe. In one of said countries I know I could get by without having any form of license by paying the bribes at every request. This is something I'm likely to do, so to have less requests would be ideal. And my theory is that a very local looking old bike is the best way to go under the radar not just from police but also thieves.

Lastly, any parts I take over, would be worth more over there than they are here. So I could sell for a profit. Id probably just gift them to someone though.

Oh and I'm not looking to do complicated questionable "tuning" type upgrades. More like adjustable rear shocks with air/oil damping, branded tyres, bearings gaskets filters etc, brake pads, light bulbs

Anyhow, I need to put this all in the correct subforum before we get lost in discussion 😂

Last edited by Potatoes on 21:47 - 20 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an internet search (to use one example) for:

buy honda shine site:*.in

Potatoes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Do an internet search (to use one example) for:

buy honda shine site:*.in

Upon your recommendation I actually had a thorough look at what new bikes are available and I found one that is quite cheap that I like the look of.

I won't say what it is yet though because I'm going to restart the thread in the right place
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1