Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki EN125 question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 07 May 2019    Post subject: Suzuki EN125 question Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm having a problem with the running of a Suzuki EN125. It started with the acceleration got slowly worse over time and wouldn't accelerate properly , which I found to be the diaphragm that had split. I couldn't find a spare part so ended up buying a new carb of ebay. Anyway I changed the diaphragm , cleaned out the tank ( I found muck in the float bowl that looked and behaved a bit like fine sand ) Cleaned the carb a couple of times , using cleaner and compressed air , as it didn't seem to work the first time and fitted a new fuel line and filter but I'm still having problems.

It seems to pull fine pulling away and revs fully in the lower gears but when I get into forth gear it now wont rev cleanly , bogs down and feels like it's running out of fuel ( like missing/chugging ) , in fifth gear it wont accelerate at all wereas it used to - slowly . As the only part that I've changed is the diaphragm ( the needle was changed for the original to match the jet ) I can't find anything else that is out of place.

Anyone got any pointers or ideas as to what to look at next ?

Thanks , Adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:32 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious... if you bought a new carb why didn't you just fit that? (obs needs A/F and idle setting)

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 05:45 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did fit the new carb but it did a similar thing in that it didn’t want to run properly with wide open throttle. The main reason I put the old one on was that everything was fine until the diaphragm went. With the new carb on was also when I found the muck in the float bowl , there was hardly any in the old carb originally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:53 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets work on the assumption that the carb is fine - same model as the original, same jets, same mixture screw setting, same float height. If you're not sure about any of those things, check them against the workshop manual settings.

So if the carb is fine, its either a fuel supply issue or an electrical issue.

Fuel supply. Easy test. Take the fuel feed pipe off the carb, point it into a cup, and turn on the fuel tap. If you get a good flow, its fine. If you get a weak dribble, check and clean the fuel tap and its filter - just take it off the fuel tank and clean it on the bench.

If everything looks fine on the fuel side, report back and we can start looking at the electrical side.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 08 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what year is this?

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 11 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'll check the fuel flow on sunday , I'll be going over the bike then anyway brakes , chain , oil etc as it's used all year round. It's a 2006 plate bike.
I did fit a new fuel pipe and filter after I cleaned the tank out just in case also when I had the tap out at the same time I checked the filter when it looked ok.

On the electrical side I have fitted led bulbs in place of most of the bulbs including the headlight which has an led light in it's place. One of those complete headlight units in the hopes of better lights as I go to work at 5;30 in the morning ( it uses less total output ).

Adam

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ,

I checked the fuel flow and it seems to be flow at a good rate ( it wasn't measured ) cleaned the brakes , adjusted the chain , checked the spark plug - the threaded part looked a bit sooty but the center was the right greyish colour. Even though it was the middle of the day could see a good bright spark.

Using the bike this morning it was the same as before except I could move it unpowered a bit easier ( mucky brakes ) other than getting a new fuel tap or striping the carb again not quite sure what else to look at.

Adam

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said earlier that you found muck in the new carb when you threw it on... you did clean it first didn't you?

I wonder if you had a similar problem with the new carb the problem might be elsewhere like an iffy throttle cable? (Probably not.) Hmmm.... how about air flow? Have you checked the filter etc.?

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The muck appeared after fitting and being run on the bike , I found the muck in the tank which was then drained and cleaned.

I've since found that it seems worse in the morning when the weathers cold , it seems to run better in the afternoon when it's warm.

Adam

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just thought I'd let know that I've got it sorted. Not sure exactly but after restriping the carb , and fitting a new clip on the inlet side it now runs as it should and revs all the way through the rev band

Thanks , Adam

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:43 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! I hope we were of help Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1