Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Derestricting" *THEORY*, YZF-R125/WR125/Rieju RS3

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: "Derestricting" *THEORY*, YZF-R125/WR125/Rieju RS3 Reply with quote

Specifically and only a theory question: "how does it work, not just what does it do".

Different machines sharing identical engines, the Rieju having a carburettor, the others being EFI.

There's mention on t'net of "disconncting a wire to give a 20% performance increase", super wow like wow shit man do it now and ram something up your exhaust pipe and then superglue yore nose to the speedo..... do 95 mate! But back to reality.

What's the theory? The "wire" to the CDI does what? If it controls some sort of "mapping" what does the mapping do? It could control ignition advance, but not valve timing or anything exhaust side on these engines for obvious reasons, and the Rieju has a carburettor rather than EFI so whatever could be tweaked there? Is it "a thing" on EFI engines but not curburetted ones? Is it something to do with limiting revs (although in low gears this does not seem to happen, and there's no "what gear are we in" sensor that I know of)?

So is there any truth to these clims, if so how does it work, or is it a load of old Horlicks on these machines?[/b]

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:58 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to derestrict it is to upgrade your license. Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Best way to derestorict it is to upgrade your license. Wink

That is nothing whatsoever to do with what I asked though, and a licence upgraded from "full" can't be had. And on-topic reply would be appreciated.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:05 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the engine being a completely weak tin box, I'd not want more than 15hp out of it.

It is very likely it's hear say, otherwise everyone would be razzing around on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brakes kick in automatically at a certain speed Wink

I can only speak to 50cc engines but the magic "justcutonewiresuperquicktrustme" trick is actually a thing... but only for the simple CDI restrictions on el-cheapo Chinese scooters and the like.

But EFI probably has the restriction baked into the map.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
With the engine being a completely weak tin box, I'd not want more than 15hp out of it.

Oh, for goodness' sake! That's not the question. Please see my OP for the question.

Edit: Sorry to sound abrupt, but it would be nice to know "how". Similarly, there's all sorts of stuff out there for cars about "how remapping works", but they aren't explanations, either, they tell me "what it does" rather than "how it does it".

Last edited by Riejufixing on 15:05 - 21 May 2019; edited 2 times in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I can only speak to 50cc engines but the magic "justcutonewiresuperquicktrustme" trick is actually a thing... but only for the simple CDI restrictions on el-cheapo Chinese scooters and the like.

But EFI probably has the restriction baked into the map.

I can say that on an "auto" Peugeot 50 (139QMB-E) there's a connection from an RPM sensor that prevents the thing revving higher than a particular figure and hence limits the speed, but it's not the same on these 125s, which are said to develop more actual power when whatever it is is disconnected.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never read anything anywhere to indicate that any of those bikes are restricted.

Maybe some chavs on chav forums or FB groups say it, but I remain unconvinced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I’ve never read anything anywhere to indicate that any of those bikes are restricted.

I am also unconvinced. It would be nice to know!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just know Tef is gonna come along and mention being in the army and old bike tinkering..

I always saw it this way: 2T bikes = Far easier to mess with. 4T bikes far more complex and lots more to go arse up or get right for more power.

I'm unsure for those engines but it's many ways. Maps, rev limiters and even fuel limiters of sorts. Remember too that you'll have actual mechanical limitations such as valve size, valve timing and the gap by how much a valve opens. Cams fix part of it but then add VVT the limitations of valves actually having time to close before compression takes place.

In other words I dunno but I'll grab some popcorn and watch from the stands on this one
Pass the popcorn

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
You just know Tef is gonna come along and mention being in the army and old bike tinkering..

Oh, dear God in heaven above. Let me find my ear defenders.... Crying or Very sad

Sister Sledge wrote:
I'm unsure for those engines but it's many ways. Maps, rev limiters and even fuel limiters of sorts. Remember too that you'll have actual mechanical limitations such as valve size, valve timing and the gap by how much a valve opens. Cams fix part of it but then add VVT the limitations of valves actually having time to close before compression takes place.

Even (supposedly) respectable publications have been in on the act:

Motor Cycle News wrote:
"The liquid-cooled single-cylinder Minarelli four-stroke is identical to the engine used in the Yamaha YZF-R125, with the exception of the Rieju using carbs instead of fuel injection which has enabled the Spaniards to squeeze a little more performance out of the motor. Although it’s a restricted learner legal bike, there's a switch under the tank which flicks the bike into race mode, increasing power by 20% and torque by 25%."

Source: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/rieju/rs3-125/2011/

OT again, but they moan about things that are inaccurate re this particular model.

They could easily be talking obllcosk of course. Re the switch, I'm convinced they are; there isn't one. However, there is a wire as referred to by other people.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 16:03 - 21 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:51 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A remap is usually done to turbo vehicles so irrelevant in this case.

A power commander could eek miniscule gains.

Cutting a wire will do nothing and 100% know that this forum would know of it.

The 2nd half of my post outlined that, but the engine will be proper scrap with 0.5hp more. Can't wait to see people try and push that tin foil cylinder.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Most likely, I was told you can get 80mph+ out of a YBR just by changing the exhaust, straight up bruv!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy is hitting on it - take or make moar power and suffer the consequences. A very good example is a DRZ400 engine compared to something orange and more powerful. It's that fine line that's overstepped.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Paddy is hitting on it - take or make moar power and suffer the consequences.

But the point of the post isn't 'should it make more power' it's 'can it make more power' in the context of it being restricted

I still agree with Paddy though. If this was a 'thing' it would be all over the internet on how to do it

Instead, it seems to be an exhaust/air filter and sproket change, that somehow propels them to 90mph...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
I still agree with Paddy though. If this was a 'thing' it would be all over the internet on how to do it

Instead, it seems to be an exhaust/air filter and sproket change, that somehow propels them to 90mph...

Look at the quote from "Motorcycle News" (Posted: 15:46 - 21 May 2019"), above. Aspiration/sprockets not mentioned. There're also various items on t'net like these:

https://riejuforum.com/index.php?topic=700.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9o2PYjzByQ

AGAIN, the point is to understand what does (or probably does not) happen.

I would not describe this as "derestricting", hence the inverted commas in the thread title, and "theory" in the title too.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume it effects the ignition curve if it does anything at all. It’s one wire, that’s all it can be really. In the same sort of way my GSXR400 has two CDI maps, one of which retards the top end so it won’t crack 112mph. Triggered by one wire’s resistance to earth through the gearbox sensor.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 21 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've ever heard of this on the Yamaha/Minarelli LC125 engine. As said the only thing that the wire disconnect could do if it's a real thing is either change the ignition timing map (some KTM's and other competition bikes have a second map that un-plugging a connector from the CDI will activate).

The map might be a different rpm rev limit (not going to increase bhp) or a different ignition map for different fuel or configurations.

Personally before spouting to the world on YouTube I'd want to be beyond being able to be proved wrong by doing a back to back dyno test with this wire connected and then it disconnected. I personally don't think it's doing anything and if the author doesn't know otherwise it might be a sensor connection?

These motors aren't restricted IMO and the 14.6bhp they make is designed to comply with 125 legislation. There are some tuning gains to be had with aftermarket parts. (Scorpion quote +1.2bhp with a de-catted full exhaust system on some bikes with this engine)

The fact for me remains that BSD dyno tested an R125 for superbike magazine years ago and found about 12.5bhp r/w.
They then fitted the full Malossi 180cc kit with a performance cam, exhaust system and piggyback ECU. After tuning they just touched 18bhp r/w. This to me shows the available potential in.this engine with almost another 60cc and all the commonly fitted tuning parts.

They said that if they did some head work and looked at fitting bigger intake valves they thought that it would take them to around 21bhp, but they'd have to flow bench test the head and see how much airflow improvement it would be capable of.

Personally if I was a 17yr old kid wanting a new pinnacle 125 for 2-3years and was of a diligent nature regarding maintenance, then I'd be more than happy with 18bhp for 3years or until I could obtain an unrestricted licence.

The Rieju 200's can't be claiming more than 22-24bhp at the crank I would think? The carb engines should not make any more power than the EFI motors are capable of, unless they use a much bigger carb than the throttle body size fitted to EFI engines.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1