BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reality TV

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:45 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reality TV Reply with quote

So, following on from Jeremy killing his guests, the MP's have stuck their oar in wittering on about duty of care fpr reality TV shows following a spate of suicides (well, 2 or 3).

While I've never like Kyle and his show I presume the 'guests' got something out of it and it was their choce to go on, as was Love Island and any other show.

While not wanting to denigrate anyone with mental health issues Isn't it personal responsibility if you chose to go on a show, just like politicians take the risk of being chewed up and spat out by a good interviewer but need the publicity.

This 'duty of care' actually pisses me off. I went through life making choices, some good, some bad, but they were my choices and I didn't whine about not being supported or mollycoddled by any company I worked for.

Is this the snowflake society we live in now (and I don't mean anything political in that) embraced by society/state from the cradle to the grave?

Edited for the link I forgot to post

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-kyle-utterly-devastated-after-cancellation-of-tv-show-11364362344079

Last edited by Polarbear on 11:41 - 16 May 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its claims its about 38 people who've offed them selves after appearing on reality TV shows

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/24/38-people-died-suicide-finding-reality-tv-fame-stars-continue-mourn-mike-thalassitis-8996868/

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "guests" dont get paid. They get night in a cheap hotel, with access to the mini-bar and a taxi there and back. This might be incentive enough if your daily life is spent on a grubby sofa, in a crummy flat watching Germy Kyle.

On set, they are separated into different rooms according to the areyouthedad/didyoustealmygiro/haveyoucheated/youputmeincare/areyouoffthesmackyet dispute and where they are wound up and provoked by show runners (e.g. "He's just said *** about you) until they are in a state of fury before going on camera. Often theyre dressed in clothes lent by the production team, trackies etc.

Only the stupid would not realise the extent of the manipulation that goes on and only the stupid would not realise the damage going on the show will do to them, their families and err, reputations.

I don't know what they think they will get out of it, but they queue up to go on there because.....stupid. It's no different for those people with crusty, lumpy genitals who go on Embarrassing Bodies to show them to millions, instead of popping down to their GP to get them looked at in private.

However, meh. It's no loss to society. Stupid is as stupid does.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeremy Kyle show is no loss to the world, it's clear to anyone whose watched more than 5 minutes of it, that its set up purely to make a spectacle of vulnerable people for entertainment.

Its nothing more than a modern form of bear baiting.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Poverty pr0n"

"There, but for the grace of god, go I"

"Schadenfreude"

As I understand it this latest loss was down to "you've been sleeping around" and trying to disprove that with a so-called "lie detector."

I think the fact that such equipment is not routinely used at official trials despite the technology being a century old should give an indication of its reliability. Even so the results destroyed a relationship and eventually a life Sad

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd heard they got a few hundred for appearing on stage? I dunno for certain though.
I've been told by someone who knew another who'd been on the show that yes they're separated and wound up appallingly. Could well be a good strong marriage but they still get the separation and winding up.
From what I was told, aftercare was 3 sessions at half an hour each and usually done via telephone and sometimes by someone not trained. Could well be a production crew member doing the aftercare.
kyle is scum. He preys on the vulnerable and makes money from what are usually non-stories.

Didn't he become an adviser to government at some point on this very issue? (I can't find actual links because kyle being banned is everywhere)

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality shows, especially those like Kyle, are simply darwinism in action !

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
The Jeremy Kyle show ... Its nothing more than a modern form of bear baiting.

Yes, that's exactly what judge lan Berg said about the program back in 2007 (and who has been referenced recently), when an assault was committed on the show by a participant, Mr Staniforth:

"It seems to me that the whole purpose of the Jeremy Kyle show is to effect a morbid and depressing display of dysfunctional people who are in some kind of turmoil," said Mr Berg.

"It is for no more and no less than titillating members of the public who have nothing better to do with their mornings than sit and watch this show which is a human form of bear baiting which goes under the guise of entertainment.

"The people responsible for this, namely the producers, should in my opinion be in the dock with you, Mr Staniforth.
"

There're at least two problems with this sort of TV. One is the effects on those actually involved, and the other, I think at least as big a concern, is the effects on those watching.

It's extremely unedifying stuff, and as TV is such a powerful medium, encourages a general decline in society's standards and morality.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget computer games: all these moped thieves are directly attributable for Grand Theft Auto!

We've been in the age of abdication of responsibility for quite some time. If you want to know why watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qkf3bajd4

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

I think the fact that such equipment is not routinely used at official trials despite the technology being a century old should give an indication of its reliability. Even so the results destroyed a relationship and eventually a life Sad

This has always been my argument with the mrs, she loves this kind of pish, a lie detector is quackery, it all boils down to the opinion of the tester.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They love anything that deflects the attention from Brexit. This is a matter for OFCOM and whoever licenses / regulates broadcasting standards. Not a matter for MPs

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having watched the Jeremy Kyle Show a handful of times, I can only come to the conclusion that any suicide would be improving the gene pool, thus furthering the species.

For this, I commend it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the coroners court the inquest on the Jeremy Kyle suicide bloke was adjourned until November 21st for some reason I cant seem to find.

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/jeremy-kyle-guest-in-suspected-suicide-amid-concern-about-appearance-on-show-11364363842189

The last line of the article....

No family of friends attended the hearing which lasted around 15 minutes.

Quite sad that none of his family was interested enough to attend. I bet they'll all be there for the will. Rolling Eyes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I suppose it's possible that his family may not think it had anything to do with his TV appearance. Who brought the court action - I thought it was the government doing it for propaganda during mental health week?

Court action? It's the fucking coroners court. Because of a death.

Fucking dullard....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:30 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I suppose you think every death ends up with an inquest in the coroners court.

Nothing to do with the government launching an inquest over the show because of this then? Fucking dullard back at you.

Every un-explained death does.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:42 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here.

Suicide is an un-natural death.

https://www.judiciary.uk/about-the-judiciary/the-justice-system/coroners/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Jeremy likes giving shit out but doesn't want to be on the receiving end....

Jeremy Kyle turns down request by MPs to face grilling

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/jeremy-kyle-turns-down-request-by-mps-to-face-grilling-11364370471155

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest it's much more common and more populist and almost comforting to be part of the labelled community or let's be callous (some form of nutter) in these times.

A label is an excuse, a get out of jail card (sometimes literally) a badge or club to belong to, and a way to fit into broken society better.

My personal view is that other than for people that have done stuff like served for the country or are front line emergency services, that we should offer fuck all support for marginal mentals and snowflakes etc. We can't afford social services care anymore anyway according to the press and government.

My view is that you look after yourself in this world by and large, or you die trying. Im not for trying to create an elitist mater race to conquer all others, but saying to a few very troubled persistent self harmers or ones with long term suicidal tendencies, there there it's OK we'll wrap you up for years and try to make you normal or repress your inner minds suicidal desires isn't much help.

If you've spent 10years unhappy and battling with throwing yourself under a bus or into the sea, it might be better off saying "go on lad get on with it, you'll feel better and at peace if you hurry up and don't prolong the inevitable".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 18 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I see Jeremy likes giving shit out but doesn't want to be on the receiving end....

Jeremy Kyle turns down request by MPs to face grilling

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/jeremy-kyle-turns-down-request-by-mps-to-face-grilling-11364370471155

To be fair to him (which I type through gritted teeth) he is just the figurehead for the show.

The concept started when he was an also ran radio presenter, looking for a way of crawling up the media greasy pole; after 15 years at the (lowest common denominator) top of that pole, not only would much of the production be out of his control, he's also found out just how greasy it is, by sliding right back to the bottom.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for him (he was known as an egotistical twat in the radio industry, before he ever got on telly) but he doesn't have a lot to offer this enquiry, although the enquiry could do a lot to completely kill his career.

If I were him (and I'm very happy I'm not) I wouldn't do it either.

Being on radio/telly is one thing, when you have a format and a script, having to be spontaneous in front of an official enquiry is another.

Same reason Esther McVey got murdered in the tory election, thought to be a winner because of her broadcasting experience, turns out she couldn't handle thinking on her feet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2