BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First commute

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:30 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: First commute Reply with quote

So I did my first commute to work on my motorcycle today. A 32 mile each way trip from SG2 to EC3A 7AW.

Still need to fine tune the route as I always assumed straight down the A1 would be the way to go. Now I am not so sure as the roads are challenging at the bottom of the A1 and even the sat nav does not chose to go that way. Took about 1h 20mins with a hell of a lot of filtering. Still not clear on the rules around bus lanes so I only used them if there were lots of bikes in them.

Now I have done many runs of solar distance and time but they were leisurely and didn't require the same intense levels of concentration as commuting to work.

I was knackered when I got to work.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:35 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of London commuting.

You might be able to cut the time down a bit, and you will certainly get used to it over time. The bus lane thing is a difficult one... The signs usually explicitly say motorcycles, and if they don't then motorcycles aren't allowed. There are a few bus lanes in Chiswick which I know do not have cameras as I was tipped off by a colleague, but I certainly wouldn't randomly use them unless I either saw a sign or was explicitly told it is OK for bikes to use 'em.

I do Basingstoke to White City quite a lot, but sometimes I just go to Chiswick. If I'm lucky I can do Chiswick in an hour but White city takes a minimum of an hour and 15 minutes and that's on a very good day. Coming home is usually at least an hour and a half.

It's OK in the summer, but can be a bit nasty in the winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather you than me!

Well done. I just hope it doesn't turn motorcycling into a chore for you, rather than an enjoyable pastime.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:14 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Rather you than me!

Well done. I just hope it doesn't turn motorcycling into a chore for you, rather than an enjoyable pastime.

If it does I will go back to the train. Bike will be for enjoyment only.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:18 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MarJay

I am hoping it will get easier and I will see how it goes in winter.

I used to work in white city myself years ago, no way I would have considered that on a bike.

The rules on bus lanes is a bit Woolley. It says online they can all be used but then say all boroughs have Thier own rules so look for the sign. I only followed if there were a few motorcycles in there and didn't stay in for long.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

id probably bite the bullet and just get the train, ive been lucky that as ive lived in london my commute used to be just 30mins to go 7 miles, now ive moved and my commute to work is 5 mins by walking there

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:33 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
id probably bite the bullet and just get the train, ive been lucky that as ive lived in london my commute used to be just 30mins to go 7 miles, now ive moved and my commute to work is 5 mins by walking there

It costs 4x the price for me to commute by train as it does by bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
woo wrote:

It costs 4x the price for me to commute by train as it does by bike.

The once or twice a month I have to get the tube in (going for drinks etc) reminds me just how much I hate that cesspit.

I'd rather get soaking wet/freezing cold on the bike than spend any time in those disease ridden asshole infested cunt wagons.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:

I'd rather get soaking wet/freezing cold on the bike than spend any time in those disease ridden asshole infested cunt wagons.

I don't like the tube much either. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The train is relaxing for the end of the day if you're knackered but you have to hang about waiting for the next train which inevitably leads to buying over priced piss from the bars in the station Sad

Having spent a couple of decades driving a car into and around the centre of town the bike has been a welcome relief: both for skirting around traffic and for parking. But learn the differences in the bus lane signs! For example: Elephant and Castle has one tiny section of "bus lane but not for motorbikes" near the station and the rest is all fine. Councils and boroughs take advantage of the fact that TFL routes allow motorbikes to fuck you over.

Although you'll want the most efficient route in the morning you can take some time on the way home to explore some different routes.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:50 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:

The rules on bus lanes is a bit Woolley. It says online they can all be used but then say all boroughs have Thier own rules so look for the sign. I only followed if there were a few motorcycles in there and didn't stay in for long.

The rules for bus lanes aren't woolly, if the big blue sign saying it is a bus lane has a motorbike on it you can. It it doesn't, you can't.

Distinctly not woolly.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually just had a flash back when theres been times i had to get the train to work..................erm nope i would not train it, motorbike it is everyday all day!

"Work gathers, and now my commute to work begins.
It shall not end until the end of the working day.
I shall take no train, hold no bus pass, own no oyster card.
I shall wear no trainers for walking and suffer no late trains.
I shall live and die by my motorcycle commute.
I am the rider in the rain & cold.
I am the watcher for filtering gaps.
I am the rider that inspires the thoughts of men.
I pledge my life and honor to the motorcycle commute, for this commute and all the commutes to come!"

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:00 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

The rules for bus lanes aren't woolly, if the big blue sign saying it is a bus lane has a motorbike on it you can. It it doesn't, you can't.

Distinctly not woolly.

When I say Woolley. I mean there is not one rule throughout London.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:26 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Distinctly not woolly.

When I say Woolley. I mean there is not one rule throughout London.

Yes there is. It's the same rule that applies across the country. Blue sign says yes or no.

I can think of 2 in Bath that bikes can't use and all the others have blue signs with bikes on.

Try reading the highway code, you'll need to know it for your test.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFL (before Genghis Khan) looked into allowing motorbikes in bus lanes and said it was a good thing. All TFL-controlled bus lanes allow motorbikes.

Despite the councils and boroughs now only controlling a tiny fraction of the bus lanes a good chunk of them rubbed their hands in glee disagreed with TFL and don't allow motorbikes.

I don't know if it's still there but at one time all of the Albert Embankment heading west was "Motorbike-friendly" apart from a tiny 50yard section that wasn't and then back to normal again just before you got to the bus station.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:

It's when 70% of them have been to the gym / have germs / are allergic to soap / showering / deodorant that it really hits home.

The odd time i have to work in central, i take the company Smart in and always find a bay to abandon it in.

There is not enough rice in China to ever tempt me into a full time central job.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
I am hoping it will get easier and I will see how it goes in winter.
Get some heated grips and handlebar muffs.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:59 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Try reading the highway code, you'll need to know it for your test.

I will bear it in mind
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1