Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Captain removed over MoD car misuse.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Captain removed over MoD car misuse. Reply with quote

There's got to be more to this story. I wonder what he's been up to?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48375064
Quote:
The captain of the Royal Navy's HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier has been removed from the ship amid claims he misused an MoD car.

It must be a bloody big ship if he needs a car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
he apparently repeatedly ignored warnings not to use the car for private mileage,

I saw that too and thought, "Meh!" But you could be right about that being an indication he would be unwilling to follow other orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

If he wouldn't listen over his MoD car, maybe they worried he'd do what he wanted with his MoD Aircraft Carrier?

"Well gentlemen, our orders are to patrol the Persian Gulf....but fuck that, let's go to Barbados!" Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine he's put someone's nose out of joint. No one gives a flying fuck what the lower ratings think of him so it'll be someone higher up. "I don't like the cut of your jib" won't get you a court marshal so they went for the car thing.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:01 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I would imagine he's put someone's nose out of joint. No one gives a flying fuck what the lower ratings think of him so it'll be someone higher up. "I don't like the cut of your jib" won't get you a court marshal so they went for the car thing.

Aside from the insurance issues (mod self insures but only covers you for officiak business), as has already been stated it is insubordination which will put out his senior's noses.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:05 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and using mods fuel is theft (long term lease cars are used with a fuek card) and the fact that the personal tax cannot be charged correctly for personal usage (in the same way as a company car attracts tax)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Captains get a real 'Look at me, I'm the Captain' arrogance on getting a command.

If it's on a scruffy oil tanker where he will get told he's being an arse, it's one thing, on the Navy's Flagship where he is God Almighty and the Navy's representative, I doubt it would go down to well.

(I get the same when I'm Captaining my boat, trouble is the crew don't give a toss and say very rude things to me Laughing )

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:28 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not even a captain, just a commander.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Really? I just assumed on a ship that size he would be a full Captain.

Just checked, he was Commodore, not commander, which is someone in charge of the whole battle group. A rank up from Captain.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:42 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Really? I just assumed on a ship that size he would be a full Captain.

Just checked, he was Commodore, not commander, which is someone in charge of the whole battle group. A rank up from Captain.

BBC got that wrong on the news yesterday, they put him down as a Commander on the title under his picture....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the case that every ship has a "captain" as a functional title whereas the rating might bit anywhere from ensign to admiral?

E.g. "Who is the captain of the Queen Liz? Commodore Diddler."

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Kirk didn't follow rules, Spock was a stickler for them though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:30 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Ah, the old "blame Al Beeb" excuse...

Nah, he was a Commodore on both occasions.. or Cdre for short.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48310522

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48375064

I do know the difference, you know, and it wasn't on the internet.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Is it the case that every ship has a "captain" as a functional title whereas the rating might bit anywhere from ensign to admiral?

E.g. "Who is the captain of the Queen Liz? Commodore Diddler."

To a certain extent, yes.

Lieutenant Commander is the 'Captain' of a very small naval boat, say a mine sweeper. A commander is the Captain of Frigate sized warships. A captain for a major ship of the Navy and a Commodore for the head of the battle group surrounding a major warship.

The all get called Captain.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1