BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Breakers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Bike Breakers Reply with quote

Over the last week or so I've visited a couple of breakers, one which I got my first ever bike from (a 125LC), and one which is well known up here for being a bit dodge. Both used to have a good selection of whole bikes they took in px or whatever, and were punting them out again at relatively reasonable prices.

Now there's maybe a half dozen bikes in each, nothing overly interesting in either. Is this the end of finding a bargain in the breakers yard?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the dodgy one Blacks by any chance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memories of Westgate Road, Newcastle.
Go in for a mirror for an LC but they don't have one - they tell you to come back in 30 minutes and they'll have one for you. Parts stolen to order..

I've seen similar in breakers too. I'm wondering if actual car breakers/scrap yards get bikes in and sell for cheaper prices these days?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they're all getting sold on-line before they get a chance to sit about?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s not half the number of bike breaker as there used to be.
We have one around here , sadly he wants silly money for anything and is absolutely no help whatsoever.

I bought from him once, he’s such a shark, I vowed never to buy from him again.

There’s one in Colchester that’s a bit bigger and has a few more bikes, but I’ve never bought from them.
A few mates have bought from them and not complained.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 22 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Was the dodgy one Blacks by any chance?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/5158a453de78f96a1b36b76a666f7b20/tenor.gif?itemid=5601237
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
There’s not half the number of bike breaker as there used to be.
We have one around here , sadly he wants silly money for anything and is absolutely no help whatsoever.

I bought from him once, he’s such a shark, I vowed never to buy from him again.

There’s one in Colchester that’s a bit bigger and has a few more bikes, but I’ve never bought from them.
A few mates have bought from them and not complained.

Colchester bike breakers are pretty good & reasonable on their pricing but their stock is usually made up of newer bikes so if you're after something for a rare bike they're usually not much help.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Memories of Westgate Road, Newcastle.
Go in for a mirror for an LC but they don't have one - they tell you to come back in 30 minutes and they'll have one for you. Parts stolen to order..

I've seen similar in breakers too. I'm wondering if actual car breakers/scrap yards get bikes in and sell for cheaper prices these days?

Sounds like the Geordie relations of who Skudd mentioned. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:21 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I heard it said on more than one occasion that the bike breaker near where I lived back in the day (Collier Row, Romford) was a bit dodgy, also especially when it came to LCs. Those bikes were just anarchy in every way it seems!

"Johnny's got an LC."
" Shocked Lock up your daughters!" Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no idea how hot LCs of any size became. Have another true story:
Went with a mate to Westgate Road on our 125s. He had a two week old LC125 - a white one. We parked in bike spaces on a normal week day and locked them up with chains.
We'd been gone 15 minutes and returned to see my bike with the cut chain hanging through it and his bike gone. Nearby, a breakers shop had two lads stood in their doorway looking over and laughing.
Mate was frantic and it was obvious who was linked to the theft but the police didn't want to know - bike could have been taken away by a van anyway.
That mate never bothered with bikes again.

Afraid I can't help with other breaker ideas but do feel that they've time on their hands and basically restore/rebuild some bikes they get just so they can survive and still trade?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:21 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westgate road. Neutral

Bought my Suzy GT500 from a shop up there in 1976 or 77. It had issues from day one but as soon as it was out the shop they didn't want to know.

Mind you, that was probably the norm with bike shops back then, customer service? Rolling Eyes

As for bike breakers, I have never used them as I'm sure half the stolen bikes ended up there, especially before ebay became popular.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
You have no idea how hot LCs of any size became. Have another true story:
Went with a mate to Westgate Road on our 125s. He had a two week old LC125 - a white one. We parked in bike spaces on a normal week day and locked them up with chains.
We'd been gone 15 minutes and returned to see my bike with the cut chain hanging through it and his bike gone. Nearby, a breakers shop had two lads stood in their doorway looking over and laughing.
Mate was frantic and it was obvious who was linked to the theft but the police didn't want to know - bike could have been taken away by a van anyway.
That mate never bothered with bikes again.

Not having owned one (don't think the YPVS had the same reputation?), it didn't affect me, although I heard bits and pieces about it all, so was aware that they seemed to be a little phenomenon in that regard all on their own. I didn't know it extended to the 125 though. I guess the Street Triple is the modern version.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have another LC story:
A mate had a black 350 (non-powervalve) and it was stolen from his work place one evening (a ship yard near Wallsend. Says it all).
Insurers paid out, he went to cars instead and forgot about it.
Must have been 15 years later and the police contacted him. A force somewhere down south, Kent comes to mind, had raided a repairs workshop for vehicles - cars, bikes etc. Among the crap lying around, they'd found a bunch of cut out engine numbers from various machines. My friends LC350 engine number had been found and police were simply following up things - in the days when they did!
The workshop were stupid for even holding onto those numbers mind. Makes me wonder why they even thought it a sensible idea..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't think of any other bike that compares to the phenomenon (there really is no other word for it) of the RD-LC.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sides to every coin and all that.
In all the time I had my RD 250lc it never got vandalised or as far as I am aware no one tried to steal it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1