Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike maintenance on single-sided swing arm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:29 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Bike maintenance on single-sided swing arm Reply with quote

As the title suggests, I've now got a bike with a single-sided swing arm.

Previous bikes have have all had double-sided swing arms. My fettling generally involved lifting the rear end up using a £15 paddock stand from fleabay, squirting lube all up the place, overtightening various things that should never have been touched, and generally making an arse of everthing before taking it to somene who knew what they were doing.

How the hell do I lift the rear end on this thing so that I can apply my mechanical wizardy to this new machine and overtension my chain when it starts looking a bit slack? The only way I can think I might be able to do it is using something like a sex swing for motobikes, with all pulleys and ropes and hoists all over the place. Is there a simpler method?!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get single-sided paddock stands with bike-specific adaptors.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abba stand.

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Abba stand.

Well, they're a few more quid than I was expecting to pay for a paddock stand (and it looks like I'll need an adaptor too). Sex/bike swing it is then.

Can they be used to lift the front too? (obviosuly not front and rear together)

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Abba stand has an attachment you can buy that pulls the rear of the bike down so the front comes up.

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:33 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
The Abba stand has an attachment you can buy that pulls the rear of the bike down so the front comes up.

Oooooh. Sounds like it might be for the win then.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:40 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centre stand....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:01 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Evil Hans says, you get paddock stands for this job. They have a pin that goes into the hole in the centre of the axle. Pretty cheap. You'd only usually need one for removing the wheel, all the other adjustments can be done with the bike on the sidestand.

The whole rear hub is on an eccentric adjuster. You loosen a pinch bolt and move it round with a special giant c-spanner tool (usually supplied in the tool kit) to adjust chain tension. No alignment adjustment to worry about.

A top tip is to move the adjuster all the way back off then back round up to tension again. They can seize and are a total PITA to free off if they do. Usually the steel bracket carrying the rear calliper that seizes to the hub. Moving it round and back every time you adjust the chain prevents this happening. If it feels stiff/graunchy, oil it.

VFR750 has a SS swingarm AND a mainstand. Still didn't stop them puttng the exhaust in the way of removing the wheel though. A RHS exit exhaust on a bike with a single side swingarm is a total abortion in terms of design!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:34 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rear axle is hollow, slide a bar through and use your normal paddock stand on that.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
If the rear axle is hollow, slide a bar through and use your normal paddock stand on that.

That works for some jobs but makes removing the wheel tricky!

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found most jobs can be done using just a trolley jack, for the front end a piece of wood (or not) and lift it from the down pipes, or for the back just put it under the rear shock.

@Stinkwheel, when I got my VFR the rear hub was seized and I found it a fairly easy job to remove, clean and grease up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invest in an ABBA stand. It's the secure way to support the bike.
And suits a wide range, with the correct pivot adaptors.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:13 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

@Stinkwheel, when I got my VFR the rear hub was seized and I found it a fairly easy job to remove, clean and grease up

Spray ptfe is your friend.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
VFR750 has a SS swingarm AND a mainstand. Still didn't stop them puttng the exhaust in the way of removing the wheel though. A RHS exit exhaust on a bike with a single side swingarm is a total abortion in terms of design!

Wholeheartedly agree. A Hi-Level link pipe and can go some way to being more user friendly, but it's still a daft idea.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:50 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car jack under the footpeg mount opposite the side stand.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 23 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I'd love to know who these design twats are, then hunt them down and set fire to them!

It's not even aesthetically pleasing, who designs a SS arm, then doesn't show it off?

Anyway, lots of decent hacks have been posted, but ABBA stand FTW; get the full adaptor kit, with the front wheel lift attachment and own the only lift set you will ever need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:50 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I'd love to know who these design twats are, then hunt them down and set fire to them!

It's not even aesthetically pleasing, who designs a SS arm, then doesn't show it off?

Anyway, lots of decent hacks have been posted, but ABBA stand FTW; get the full adaptor kit, with the front wheel lift attachment and own the only lift set you will ever need.

Well then fuck it.

Go for the ABBA Sky-Lift.
Fuck-it.

Abba Sky Lift https://g.co/kgs/KdmgUJ

😎

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I invested in a Sky Lift some years ago, it's been very beneficial for multiple bikes. Expensive though.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a easy rizer second hand. Is a bit of a faff to get the bike mounted, but it's pretty versatile. I also have a paddock stand for the ss swingarm and use that when it's more convenient.

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:06 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Well then fuck it.

Go for the ABBA Sky-Lift.
Fuck-it.

Abba Sky Lift https://g.co/kgs/KdmgUJ

😎

Fuck me, I'd get one of those just to display the fucker on the drive! Laughing

Seriously though, although upwards of four hundred notes is a lot to drop on a stand, it would pay off in the long run if I ended up doing a lot of the "maintenance" myself instead of wimping out and taking it a friendly local mechanic charging £100 per hour labour. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:28 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

Last one I bought, I had to whale on the calliper bracket with a lumphammer, gradually moving it back and forth and adding hot oil until it freed off enough to strip the hub. Took hours.

The RC30 did it right. Look,. SS swingarm and LHS exhaust. The only good reason for a SS swingarm is to facilitate rapid wheel changes. In all other respects, a double sided one is better. Pic relevant as it also shows a single side paddock stand. I partially got round the problem by having a slip-joint made for the exhaust but I still have to remove it to change the wheel.

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2018/4/19/0/6/8/0684c9f1-c999-44b1-aa21-ae53d63c6dea.jpg

I have in the past (when my mainstand broke) changed over rear wheels (I have more than one) by holding the bike over onto the sidestand with one hand and changing the wheel with the other. It's do-able but a bit risky.

huskie69
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:25 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I have in the past (when my mainstand broke) changed over rear wheels (I have more than one) by holding the bike over onto the sidestand with one hand and changing the wheel with the other.

I think that's just about the manliest thing I've ever heard Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1