Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London marathon runners 'called fat and slow' by contractors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: London marathon runners 'called fat and slow' by contractors Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48125731

"James Miller, 35, had been running for a dementia charity. ... He finished in just over eight hours...really demotivating to see the course being dismantled around us....even had to ask for directions at a couple of points as the route wasn't obvious"

Laughing 8 hours ffs. 26.2 miles / 8 hours = 3.2mph.

I have a dislike for charity runners, especially ones that can't actually run. The London Marathon was originally set up by and for running enthusiasts, and not money grabbing charities. If you can't run, a marathon probably isn't for you.
If you want to go for a walk, go for a walk.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge fan of the London Marathon, probably jealous because I couldn't do it.

Apparently it's really difficult to get into, you have to have huge sponsorship support.

I guess most people do it for ego. They interviewed one woman on the news who said "The last few miles she became blind in one eye, and had to crawl over the finish line".
But still glad she did it Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:46 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
They interviewed one woman on the news who said "The last few miles she became blind in one eye, and had to crawl over the finish line".

Sounds like the last pub crawl I did.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Apparently it's really difficult to get into, you have to have huge sponsorship support.

Female friend over 40 got in three times in a row, apparently they don't get as many female veteran applicants and they have qoutas to fill (according to her).
Male friend in his thirties failed twice, so then applied via Red Cross charity saying he'd raise £2k, and was rejected as it wasn't enough.
And then you get these invalids that walk round and seem bewildered that after 6+ hours the contractors are cleaning up and going home.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that article. TBH I'm not surprised over grumpy contractors: probably didn't appreciate having to work on a Sunday.

However, a pace runner claiming the water stations had been packed away - ppl could die from dehydration - and then to be accused of lying about it!

Seems to be a tendency with any well established charity event or organisation: a rotten core. Oxfam, Comic Relief, WWF now the London Marathon Sad

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get (and support) doing these things for charity, but there has to be a degree of realism over it. It's a marathon; the name alone is synonymous with massive effort. As said above, it should only be attempted by people sufficiently fit and able to do it.

Let's not forget this is London - it's not taking place on a coastal footpath, the roads being closed are causing doubtless large amounts of disruption to the area; it's not reasonable to prolong this. There should be a cap; the race ends at a certain point, if you've not finished, tough - you just go onto the footpath and walk back through the streets (or a bus comes through and sweeps everyone up).

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Let's not forget this is London.

Do it 2 up on a moped then, no helmets and a nice big knife.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

I guess most people do it for ego. They interviewed one woman on the news who said "The last few miles she became blind in one eye, and had to crawl over the finish line".
But still glad she did it Thumbs Up

to be fair she is an elite class amateur athlete who got her race plan slightly wrong, happens to the best of them in the olympics, and she was at work the next day

The history of the New York marathon is interesting, it started off as a very underground thing, groups of enthusiasts running through the city early on a Sunday morning

Running is a fairly cheap mass participation sport.

The local running club has cut off times, and a bus that drives behind at the cut off pace..... bus catches you, race over...

I've not done the London Martahon, or any full martahon, but every closed road run I do enter, the rules clearly state the cut off time, and what happens if you exceed it. Usually, small local running clubs ask you to stop and admit defeat, larger events, invite you continue if you wish to, but make it clear that roads will re-open, marshalls will disappear etc

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I have never raised sponsorship in a running event ever, but I think most of them now donate money to a cause. Many running events are profit making enterprises for the organisers, and I guess that by bigging up the charity element, smooths the way for them with local authorities etc

if I did run a marathon, I'm sure i'd find the London one easier than some smaller ones, due to the atmosphere and enthusiasm of others carrying me along, but I think half-marathons are my limit

only once twice did i do a fundraiser, and both times it was (for me) real effort

Walked London to Brighton 65 mile route in just under 20hrs, 800 started 400 finished. Toughest thing I've done. To be honest, I only raised money cos I had to, to enter it.

Cycled non stop Bedford to Fareham, solo effort, raised money for a local charity. But I would've cycled the route anyway. Doing it again on Sunday actually, but not sponsored.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really boils my piss is people seeking charity sponsorship to do a sky dive, or climb Everest or the Grand Canyon or whatever; they deal is usually that the participant has to undertake to raise X amount of sponsorship, and have to cover Y amount of the cost of the trip upfront themselves - where "Y" is significantly less than they'd have to pay if they were doing the activity as an ordinary, non-sponsored trip.

If you want to go on an adventure holiday, then pay for it yourself and don't expect me to subsidise it for you FFS

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

If you want to go on an adventure holiday, then pay for it yourself and don't expect me to subsidise it for you FFS

This ^ so much this.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otoh, if you're mug enough to pay for me to go off and have fun, I ain't turning it down. Not that I've ever done a charity event. I could be considered a charity case though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
It's a marathon; the name alone is synonymous with massive effort.

It's also synonymous with Snickers bar. Maybe that's what the guy was expecting.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
What really boils my piss is people seeking charity sponsorship to do a sky dive, or climb Everest or the Grand Canyon or whatever; they deal is usually that the participant has to undertake to raise X amount of sponsorship, and have to cover Y amount of the cost of the trip upfront themselves - where "Y" is significantly less than they'd have to pay if they were doing the activity as an ordinary, non-sponsored trip.

I think its a bending of the Spirit of Sponsorship for thinks like adventures to reach the Poles/Top of the Highest Peaks (Ben Nevis and cetera).
Those were popular things to sponsor as PR for whoever was putting their hand in the corporate pocket. (Or Educational bodies).

Everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sponsored bandwagon ride Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifie and her sister run. Her sister does all these big events.

What utterly amazes me are the events that will only let you run if you have got a certain level of sponsorship. Wifies sister is doing one soon where entry level is £2000. Shocked

So after donating your time and effort you are still expected to give them a minimum of 2 grand.

I'd be telling them to GTF and donating my services to some little charity run where they are thankful for all the support they can get.

Boils my piss as well that wifeys sister is stupid enough to go along with their antics. I told her this and was sent to Coventry by wifie for it. Bliss Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the £2000 bar. If they didn't have it, and ppl collecting a couple of quid for their local charity were all running, it'd end up being a 3 day event with the number of participants!

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marathon is a shit long day. People don't see the volunteers getting up at 5am to be on the road for 7am "just in case something happens". You then stand around for hours doing fuck all.

The road closures shut down London for an entire day. Some parts (Wapping and Bermondsey for example) get cut off, get your car out before 7am or you're stuck! Want an ambulance? The crew have to carry their kit and WALK.

If people want to walk for 8, then 9 then 10 hours and so on, cool! Want the 'marathon experience'? Fab! VLM will have to ask TfL to close the roads for an additional two or three hours for the WHOLE COURSE. Who's going to pay?! The runners will have to foot the bill.

Or, here's a shocking idea. Train. Train hard. Even BEFORE you've got applied for a place. If you're too unfit (read fat or lazy) to complete the 26.2 miles in a reasonable time, don't enter. The marathon IS inclusive. If someone with NO FUCKING LEGS can complete it, some tubby fucker who sits on their arse all day can train to, too!

There should be a 7 hour cut off. Don't cross the finish line 7 hours after you started? Sorry, go home.

Last edited by LustyLew on 12:47 - 03 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should ban them from roads, there are enough parks to run around. They should have number limits of less than 200 people doing the run and it should be done at night to avoid any impact on normal people.

You could have a few pressure cookers dotted around the course just to keep them motivated and us amused.

They also need to ban it on Eco warrior grounds as the carbon foot print for a jogger is massive compared to the guy sat at home watching TV.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might do one to raise funds to bring Shamima back.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
They should ban them from roads, there are enough parks to run around. They should have number limits of less than 200 people doing the run and it should be done at night to avoid any impact on normal people.

You could have a few pressure cookers dotted around the course just to keep them motivated and us amused.

They also need to ban it on Eco warrior grounds as the carbon foot print for a jogger is massive compared to the guy sat at home watching TV.

Have you considered applying to be Jeremy Clarkson's ghost writer?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

You want to ban things on Eco warrior grounds. You fascist scum!
I've done a few half marathons (before kids came along) and I always used to get asked what charity I was doing it for.

"I'm not, I'm doing it for fun. I'm not going to emotionally blackmail people into giving me money for something I enjoy doing just so I can virtue signal. That would be conceited and dishonest."

And that, is a conversation closer. Laughing
Occasionally someone would stumble on about a charity thing they did while there brain was processing, but mostly you just get blank looks.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:56 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

these people need to grow up!

I could walk it quicker

Its getting too big like red nose bullshit day, they need to restrict number off entrants and have 4-5 hours max time.

these people actually expect folk to stand around for 9 hours to watch some twat walk past them.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Skudd wrote:

Have you considered applying to be Jeremy Clarkson's ghost writer?

What do you mean apply? They asked.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

just up the hill overlooking the town I live in there is a 130ft tall tower and occasionally there's a charity abseil where the minimum sponsorship to do it is £30.

Hand in pocket, £30 later I got to abseil down 100ft (can't do the bottom 30ft) of historic monument - excellent.

I've opened my big mouth and ended up entered for a triathlon later this year, it's going to be hard work getting ready to actually complete the event, my dad recently got diagnosed with Alzheimers so I'm going to mention once or twice to people at work etc that I'm doing it and if anyone wants to sponsor me - but I'm not going to hound them, I'm doing it anyway, but if the charity benefits, yay.

LustyLew wrote:

Or, here's a shocking idea. Train. Train hard. Even BEFORE you've got applied for a place. If you're too unfit (read fat or lazy) to complete the 26.2 miles in a reasonable time, don't enter. The marathon IS inclusive. If someone with NO FUCKING LEGS can complete it, some tubby fucker who sits on their arse all day can train to, too!

There should be a 7 hour cut off. Don't cross the finish line 7 hours after you started? Sorry, go home.

There are some triathlon events where you have to have completed smaller events within a set time to qualify.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1