Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Our Reactor Is On Fire

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Our Reactor Is On Fire Reply with quote

Link: https://youtu.be/vcsyMvQtlKs Thumbs Up

*A SFW post for those, who do not visit the Rhyno's corner.

Documentary about the 1957 reactor fire in the Windscale plant in England, which released a large amount of radioactive material into the environment.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an awesome yet terrifying event. More surprising to people is how that place came about and the lies about electricity generation - they were sucking it in instead!
Manufactured pieces glowed red hot as they were shoved out the back and into a pool of water. They sent someone into that area to have a look! Same with the hatch on the top - opened it to look for the problem. Madness.

I follow the nuke videos on YouTube and it's a massive subject. Not just the accidents but the history and engineering that went into it all. The sites have connections with almost every manufacturer that existed in Britain post war. Condenser sections made in Stockton etc.

The USA has a lot to answer for mind. Some of the stuff they did was nuts. I only just watched a video the other day about a NUCLEAR ROCKET they invented.
Liquid hydrogen pushed through a small reactor running at over 100 MW and damned hot. The vapourised hydrogen was the propulsion from a nozzle.
The rocket was designed for use in space only (get to the moon, mars etc) and was very capable.
The only problem was they tested loads of them for hours on end on Earth. That's right - shoving nuke bits into the air we breathe..

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was amazed by the design of the Windscale plant reactor. I've never seen, nor heard of such design. Using cooling fans and just having the fuel laying in the reactor and then being pushed out once it's due to be replaced.

I know it was the 50's and they probably used the facility to somehow make weapons grade radioactive material, but even then they had to know, that blowing 1 ton of air per 1 second through a set of filters that even had big holes in them, as they wore down, wasn't a great idea. Couldn't they just use water for the cooling? Those fans probably burned a lot of electricity.

Without spoiling anything, their solution to the fire was the most peculiar.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:27 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designed and built in a hurry, without access to American data, to make Britain a nuclear weapon-holding state.

If it was wrong to become a World nuclear power (It might have been- I don’t know), then what they did was wasteful and dangerous.

If it was right for the UK to get the bomb, then what they did was pretty reasonable. As for not “lying” to the public about what the Windscale Piles were for, grow up!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few years ago I was over near Carlisle and rummaging through a house clearance shop. In an old drawer of random pieces I found an aluminium disc - like a big metal medal with some information stamped into it.
I got it for 20 p because I was interested. After months of research I discovered that it was to celebrate the decommissioning and dismantling of a nuclear refining plant - can't remember the name but it was BNFL and somewhere near the midlands I think.
The aluminium came from some of the actual aluminium piping that carried gases around the plant. Obviously not radioactive but a rare piece none the less.
I've lost it. Yup lost it. I've also lost some other rare pieces and think an ex stole them. Cnut.
I wish I still had the disc because very special and linked to nuclear.

Those early piles were to put one thing in, bombard it with radiation which in turn changed it to something that held valuable bomb making goodness. The process generated heat. To speed up things they sliced metal away from reactor 'food' which did indeed speed things up but also got things hotter and why it went arse up a bit.

I've actually visited Sellafield when they had a visitor center there. I was on holiday in the lakes and dragged my wife with me to the power station. Obviously she was incredibly impressed..
They included a bus tour of the site. We had cameras taken off us by armed guards on the bus. The security was immense.
The tour was pants but special too. The tour guide described what we were seeing. 'This big grey shed is 21B. Radioactive materials are stored there for two weeks. Next up ahead is building 21C. That's got radiation in it etc etc'.
Damned terrorism has shut all of the visitor sites down now. Hartlepool Power Station (nuclear) had one too.

So tempted to get some type of Geiger counter for sh*ts and giggles. I'd probably scare myself silly with what's laying around.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
So tempted to get some type of Geiger counter for sh*ts and giggles. I'd probably scare myself silly with what's laying around.

You may buy one. Not as expensive as one would assume. Thumbs Up

Just googled around and they even make a geiger counter with a 3.5mm jack for smartphones. Shocked

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
More surprising to people is how that place came about and the lies about electricity generation - they were sucking it in instead!

You're confusing the original windscale plants with the calder hall plant. the two original ones were never meant to generate electrical power and had no ability to do so.

Calder hall was also built to make exotic metals for the weapons programme but was water cooled (rather than air) and was indeed a net exporter of power.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
It's an awesome yet terrifying event. More surprising to people is how that place came about and the lies about electricity generation - they were sucking it in instead!
Manufactured pieces glowed red hot as they were shoved out the back and into a pool of water. They sent someone into that area to have a look! Same with the hatch on the top - opened it to look for the problem. Madness.

I follow the nuke videos on YouTube and it's a massive subject. Not just the accidents but the history and engineering that went into it all. The sites have connections with almost every manufacturer that existed in Britain post war. Condenser sections made in Stockton etc.

The USA has a lot to answer for mind. Some of the stuff they did was nuts. I only just watched a video the other day about a NUCLEAR ROCKET they invented.
Liquid hydrogen pushed through a small reactor running at over 100 MW and damned hot. The vapourised hydrogen was the propulsion from a nozzle.
The rocket was designed for use in space only (get to the moon, mars etc) and was very capable.
The only problem was they tested loads of them for hours on end on Earth. That's right - shoving nuke bits into the air we breathe..

Have you read The Radioactive Boy Scout?

Though I just looked it up on wiki, and he met a sad early demise, which I hadn't known about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn#Larceny_of_smoke_detectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Our Reactor Is On Fire Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Link: https://youtu.be/vcsyMvQtlKs Thumbs Up

*A SFW post for those, who do not visit the Rhyno's corner.

Documentary about the 1957 reactor fire in the Windscale plant in England, which released a large amount of radioactive material into the environment.

Police Police Police

Re-post of compost.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've read about the boy scout dozens of times. He caused a fair bit of trouble in that neighbourhood haha!

What? This is a poop post? Aww cr4p Sad

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:58 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

You may buy one. Not as expensive as one would assume. Thumbs Up

A lot of the old civil defence stuff on eBay reads in too high a range to be any use or fun (unless/until there actually is a nuclear apocalypse).

Get something that mentions having a “pancake Geiger,” reporting beta contamination in cps (counts per second). Then you’ll likely see a reading from Tilley lamp mantles, old luminous dials, high potash compounds and (of course) strontium 90 fallout.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that. I don't know a dot about them and will keep that information.
Will have to take a back seat for now because currently chasing a mig welder..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1