Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker with oil level issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Denial
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:49 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: New biker with oil level issue Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for the add.
Total newbie question about an oil level issue.
I have a Sym wolf 125 which suits my needs fine. It has an oil light that has started to flash. So I checked the level in the oil level window. Here is where I have got confused a bit.

I have tried several things. I have put oil in (500ml to see if there was a difference, the light stays on). I have siphoned oil out (thinking I had over filled it. The light stays on). The level just doesn't change in the oil window either.

A. On centre stand it shows as full, covering the whole window

B. On side stand, it shows as completely empty

C. On level ground (with someone helping to hold the bike) it is full, covering the window

Either way, the light flashes. There are no leaks, just a blinking light and a full/empty window viewer!

Anybody got some advice to get me back on the road?
Your patience with a novice is very much appreciated. Mr. Green

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically you want the oil level to be half way up the glass or thereabouts. Often there will be level markings on the cases or on the glass itself, but halfway is a safe bet otherwise.

Is the bike running ok? No loud knocking or banging noises or clouds of smoke out of the exhaust? No oil leaks?

You might just have a loose wire to the oil pressure sensor or a faulty sensor.

Denial
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:32 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

No knocking or smoke. Hope it is just a sensor thing. Assume that means a trip to a garage to fix.

But now I have to sort the oil level out in the meantime. Am i right in thinking it should be on the centre stand and i need to drain off enough to bring it in between the lines? Was unsure because it is over full when level but completely empty on the side stand. Could not get clarification online and the manual is useless.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say flash is it steady on and off like an indicator?
Or flickering as if it wasn't connecting very well.
You might be able to find the sensor, they are sometimes located poorly and get road debris over the connector causing half-on bulb effect, just cleaning it up might fix that.

It's there to indicate low oil pressure rather than low oil directly.
If it comes on and stays on don't ride it, if oil pump has failed the engine will seize in minutes.
Flickering on and off is much more likely to be a sensor fault assuming the level is adequate.
Barely at the window would still be 'adequate' there a decent volume below that the pump can draw from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Denial
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:05 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a steady on and off. So if oil pressure issue, is that a simple fix?

Will start to siphon out the oil I put in. Cheers for the reply.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:16 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil pressure switches are prone to failure, in exactly the way you describe. They are easy to change so I'd get a new one and fit it first.

If you had a light which was flashing on idle only AND it was coupled with any odd noises like a hollow-sounding knock or rattle then that would indicate an engine problem causing low oil pressure but from what you say it does point to a dodgy oil switch.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This manual

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sym-Wolf-125-5904199.html

says it has a dipstick but I suppose a later model might have been changed to a window.

It also says check on the centre stand so \i would go along with that. Mid window oil level while on the centre stand. Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denial wrote:
It is a steady on and off. So if oil pressure issue, is that a simple fix?

Will start to siphon out the oil I put in. Cheers for the reply.

Just in case, I would not be tempted to use your bike until you know that it's OK.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless stated otherwise oil level should be checked on level ground with the centre stand. Most windows have max and min lines. Get the oil to below the max line. (My engine/gearbox seems to run much better with the oil closer to the max line than the min line.)

As well as that your oil cap might incorporate a dipstick too. Take it out, clean replace, take it out again... should reflect what you see in the window.

Flashing would seem to indicate a fault rather than actual low oil pressure. Swap sensor, check connectors and wiring condition.

Denial
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:27 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

One final check. Should the pilot be between the lines at cold temperature or is that after running the engine for a few minutes?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denial wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

One final check. Should the pilot be between the lines at cold temperature or is that after running the engine for a few minutes?

When the engine is off and the oil has settled. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denial...

Is dat de big river in Egypt?

It's ok, you'll get used to me Shifty
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
Denial...

Liberated.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silence of confusion...
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:50 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

confusion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQZiMINd8YQ

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
confusion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQZiMINd8YQ

I could do sexual things with that. The video thing not chickenstrip. Unless they want to aswell?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Ste wrote:

I could do sexual things with that. The video thing not chickenstrip. Unless they want to aswell?

We are not amused.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

We are aroused.

FTFY Razz Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

chickenstrip DID NOT wrote:
We are aroused.

FTFY Razz Laughing

Oil level dammit, oil level!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain the lot out into a measuring jug and see how much comes out? Then look in the manual for the right amount of clean fresh oil to fill it with. This will also tell you if you had under or overfilled it before.

While your at it you might as well clean or replace the oil filter and any applicable filter housing gasket etc.

Then see if the oil light goes off with the engine running.

Don't place much significance on the oil level window. They are notoriously inaccurate at times and often get misty or dirty and thus become hard or impossible to read. Therefore I'd be draining and measuring the oil regularly and filling it with the known quantity of new oil, and not paying any attention to the silly little window. If you do an initial 500mile oil change you'll be able to gauge oil consumption in case it needs interim top ups too.

Denial
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:32 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome responses guys. I will get right on with it and let you know how it goes.Thanks for all your help. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1