Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying back a stolen recovered bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

monkeyking118
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:51 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Buying back a stolen recovered bike Reply with quote

Hi all,
Long time no see.
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy back a bike that has been paid out, then recovered?
My KTM was stolen in october last year, and i never really expected to see it again. Insurance paid out in november.
Today the police phone and say it has been recovered about 40 miles away.

Anyone had experience in anything similar?
Cheers

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should inform your insurer, since it's their property now they have paid it out. When you do put forward your propsal to recover it and ask for a buy-back deal.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeyking118
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:41 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, already know its their bike now, just wondered if it was a possibility really.
Didn't know if they had specific companies they have to use.
Hoping they'll agree, loved that bike!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll have a contract with a salvage company probably, and agreement of x amount per recovered bike regardless of condition, or maybe a % of book value. You need to get in and strike whilst the iron is hot.

Have the cops asked you to collect it? If you did it might give you some leverage with the ins. company.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:40 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyking118 wrote:
loved that bike!

That's the pertinent bit, the past tense.... what state it's in 'now' and whether you'll love it as much as the memory is a VERY different matter.

My Yammie was nicked, and popped up on gum-tee Evil or Very Mad looking at the ad-pics I DIDN'T want the dang thing back after all the blood-sweat-tears and cold-hard-cash I'd sunk into renovating the bludy thing!

In years past, my Kwakka was nicked, oooh.... three times I think.... yeah, 1991/2 time of the Bellgreen riots, and I lived just over the dang common, didn't eye!!!! But... last time that was nicked, I'd fixed it up twice already, and it had been rather wonderful, with a power-bronze full fairing in place of the smahed Kwakka plastics and such... fact that on the last occasion it came back with a cast front wheel in TWO pieces.... s-o-r-t of gives you an idea of how much of a job it would have been to fix again.... on that occassion, neither love nor money would have done the job, not least 'cos it ws the year of the Norwich-Union insurance bombshell, and after that theft I practically couldn't get insurance on a chuffing push-bike.. but still.

The curiouse one, was Unc's SP370, which I had learned gears on, way back when.... it was actually nicked off from out the lean-to/car-port in 1986, and plod insisted that it was taken by opportunists wanting to get home from the pub, and couldn't possibly have been nicked to order by pro's.. just wait a couple of days.... it'll turn up in a hedge near where they live..... Rolling Eyes I was not convinced... if oportunists wanting to get home from pub.... they'd have taken MY bike... the Montesa, with no ignition or steering locks on it to get past, that was in the same lean-to! But... two or three HUNDRED nights later... aprox 1993... it DID turn back up.... it had been nicked from just south of brum... and the 'bike' as assured by the feds was in Southampton..... err... yeah..... and on investigation, all that was actually left of the dang thing was HALF the frame, and the crank-cases... you know, the bits with the identifying numbers on..... But they were rather loath to disclose that information, until after Unc had informed them that it belonged to the insurance co, and they revealed that they already knew that, and had contacted them... and did he want 'his' bike back... cos really they just wanted 'some-one' to come and get the scrap, and close their case file! LoL!

Best of luck.....!!!!!

AFAIK... if you want to take the chance, then when plod ask, say 'yes' and get to where ever the thing is being kept, with the release note, which I suggest you collect by hand, if possible... get the bike back in your possession... decide THEN if you really love it as much as the memory... Then call the insurance company, tell them that police contacted you, and you collected it 'on their behalf'... and negotiate from there.... Worst case you have a wasted trip, and have to leave the thing in card-board boxes on the front door-step with a note attached, for the ins-co to collect....

BUT... how much DID you lobe the thing... and if you shelve that recollection of affection.... WOULD you go shopping for a 'fixer-upper' project.... that might be no more than a pair or crank-cases and a head-stock.... THAT is the real question here, I think.

monkeyking118
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:01 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police have left me to deal, but as its a bank holiday, I've not been able to get hold of anyone at the recovery or insurance places.

The warwick police officer said there's no damage mentioned in the report from the Northampton police, but guessing the ignition barrel will be shot at the least.

I'll see if i can get it sent to me and inform the insurance company on tuesday when they're back.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:12 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I'd be worried about internal damage. Wasn't that thiefs bike so lord knows what abuse the engine has had.
Just a thought to consider too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, ignition fucked, steering lock fucked, 6 months of zero maintenance and engine thrashed...

If you really want that bike back mention all the above to the insurance company. With any luck they'll let you have it for the same as what they would have sold it to a salvage company which is next to fuck all.

monkeyking118
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:09 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I'm not too fussed about them theashing it. Just need a bike to fill the gap until I'm financially sorted again after breaking my kneecap in december ( had a terrible end to the year!). I'd literally signed the finance papers for a vfr when that happened and had to void it as i didn't know how long I'd be out for.
Getting the KTM back would be useful as long as it is somewhat road worthy

monkeyking118
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:44 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken to Marble Arch, they may be willing to sell back but apparently only if an inspection sees it as a cat N.

*Edit: cat N is what used to be cat D, so that makes sense.
They'll only sell me a bike that has cosmetic/electronic damage.
May well get it back, but it may cost me a bit if the fairings are intact as it probably won't hit the write off value and the want to recoup the money paid out*

Out of my hands for now, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat N, yeah that's fair enough. TBH I think you'd be really unlucky if it turned out to be Cat S or worse.

Negotiate hard! Always keep in the back of your mind that it was going to be sold at a pittance to their salvage company (but don't openly state that as an argument.) But as mentioned, you can always bang on about the unseen damage: engine might have been thrashed.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:56 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyking118 wrote:
they may be willing to sell back but apparently only if an inspection sees it as a cat N.

An inspector has already seen it, that's how it ended up as a Cat N. Wink

Marble Arch are one of the many cowboy claims management companies so there's no point in trying to haggle with their call centre people over the phone.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1