Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER5 anyone still running one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: ER5 anyone still running one? Reply with quote

what are they like?

I had one in 2013 if I remember right, and I remember loving it. I used it every day for a year or so no matter the weather or distance.

I also remember it being fast enough, and handling ok, it had upgraded rear shocks on when I bought it and a more aggressive riding position than standard.

but is this because it was one of my first bikes? do I have rose tinted specs or are they decent enough?

Saw a mint one in Brixham yesterday so just was thinking about them. looked online and apparently there's only about 300 left in the UK.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a couple of years back in 2004/05, I bought it off Instigator an old forum member.

I really enjoyed it, it was a commute, it did have rear drum brakes and a single pot at the front.

It was also restricted to 33bhp (old bike test system), but I loved it.

I used to take it over the tops on the moors at lunchtime and I liked the way I really had to work it.

I replaced it with an ER6 from new, which I am still commuting on and will keep it until it goes.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one too, a long time ago. I used to use it for commuting and leisure rides. I never maintained that thing properly but I did my best with the knowledge I had at the time (which wasn't much).

I think you might be wearing rose-tinted specs... Don't get one.
Three rides on the ER5 (unrestricted) stick out in my mind. The first, when I had just bought it. The second, a country ride when I was angry, on a very windy autumnal day with mixed weather. The third, when I topped 100mph, slowed down and stopped for a roundabout, turned into a side road and the bike died 30m down it. That was it for that bike.

Issues:
1) Poor build quality. I remember the battle against rust. As a commuter bike, that was its serious weakness. Poor paintwork and everything corroding everywhere.
2) Questionable design features, e.g. primary drive chain instead of primary drive gear, flimsy water pump, etc. all suggesting these bikes were built like Bic lighters (disposable) not Zippos (maintainable forever).
3) Built down to a price. The highest quality thing on the whole bike seemed to be the chrome instrument set (speedo, rev counter, idiot lights). Things like the tank and the levers seemed short on metal - too thin and light. This compromised the sort of experience the bike gave when it was ridden.
4) Boring to ride. You can't really improve the sound with an aftermarket exhaust system (I tried) - you will just make it much louder. A new set of bars is an improvement, but you'll get bored all over again. I seem to remember it would pick up with gusto up to about 30mph and then its acceleration would run out of steam as it screamed and laboured up to about 90, when it just felt slightly uncomfortable. Lacked a certain muscularity.
5) Owners (most but not all) are typically vehicle users rather than leisure enthusiasts, and busy people who are often bothered and tired, and the design of the bike discourages necessary maintenance items by being cumbersome and awkward, so the bikes are probably complete dogs by now. Rubbers might be rock-hard and prone to crack, the valves might be well overdue a service, the water cooling system could be filled with crud, etc.

On the plus side:
1) It's a good-looking design.
2) Corners and handles better than any unsuspecting sportsbike rider would expect.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Re: ER5 anyone still running one? Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:

Saw a mint one in Brixham yesterday so just was thinking about them. looked online and apparently there's only about 300 left in the UK.

Black with a blue hue that looks great in the sun? Mr. Green

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised at that 300 on the road figure, but I'm not sure it's accurate. Presumably you got it from howmanyleft, as the figure for 'ER500 C5P'? If you look at the breakdown of that number, it would appear that none were licenced until 2004, which cannot be right as the ER-5 was launched in something like 1997. My guess is that the earlier ones have some obscure model code on the logbook, or simply don't have a model recorded - not uncommon on old vehicles.

They are quite a nice looking bike imo, in a classical sort of way. Certainly much nicer than the ER-6. They do sound fairly horrid though - for some reason that GPZ500 motor always makes a particularly unpleasant noise when wound up.

In their favour, these days they're one of the few 'big' bikes that you can still just about pick up for a few hundred quid in working order.

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure enough if you search for 'ER500' on howmanyleft, it brings up a total of 1970 on the road last year.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my 2006 ER5. It’s a simple bike but enjoyable to ride, actually fairly easy to work on and returns nearly 60mpg. It’s hardly a sportsbike but as long as you operate it with reasonable expectations it’s a fine machine. Sound....awful below 3.5k but around the 5-7k range I actually like the growl it has.

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have one and run it for all my Dirty long haul tours , I find it comfy , I can carry a lot and sit on it all day .

It's heavy , slow , handles ok ish but for what I want it's wonderful , I paid £650 4 years ago and I'm now having my first issue with the R/R , not bad after 3 elephant , dragon rally , wales , Scotland tour and the Stella alpina rally in Italy .

It's not my main fun bike , I have a duc 848 and zx6r so when I want to have fun I use those .

I'd definitely buy another .

If you do know about the R/R , you could assist , I posted in the workshop Smile

Cheers

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the input dudes...

I doubt I'll be buying one anyway. Running the monster I do sort of miss a fairing a bit. Next bike will be faired again. Not sure what yet.

The one I saw was just blue, parked up by the toilets on the harbour.

Sorry don't know about R/R... Mine had a new one not long before I bought it. Only issue I had was the diaphragm in the automatic fuel tap failed flooding the engine. So I fitted a proper tap off a zx6

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I had to rebuild the fuel tap with new seals on mine. Oddly for a naked bike I find it quite tolerable at speed; the airflow seems very smooth and partly deflected, maybe it's the shape of the clocks or something. Compared to the Street Twin it's serene on the motorway.

I sometimes toy with a nicer "all purpose" bike, but the ER5 still does everything I want it to. Be nicer with better brakes, particularly the increasingly oval rear drum, but it's still basic and enjoyable biking.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:30 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood why anyone would have one at all when they could have had a GPZ500s for roughly the same money. 20%-ish more horsepower. Roughly 200% more fun.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a couple.
I have an ageing R reg with 64k on the clock and the wife has a sprightly 54 reg with about 43K on it.
We're more than happy with them...not a bike thief magnet, great on little twisty back roads (which is mainly what we ride).
Easy to work on and cheap to run.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I never understood why anyone would have one at all when they could have had a GPZ500s for roughly the same money. 20%-ish more horsepower. Roughly 200% more fun.

I'd have a GPZ500S even today, although not as an only bike. I like the controls and clocks and the 90s looks especially. And it's higher quality than the ER5. Bit of a giant-killer, that one, especially when encountering summer weekend warriors. Wink Holds it own on track days to this day, according to Youtube videos.

I had bought the ER5 because I was after a used bike for commuting, it was low mileage, it wasn't too old at the time and it was in London (I didn't have a van back then so I limited myself to a short journey to collect a bike). I went to see it and check it over. Didn't know what to look for or I wouldn't have missed a few obvious issues with it. But it looked great... Those bikes polish up nicely and didn't look like hacks back then. It took me about 2 months on that bike to wish I'd looked a bit further afield and bought a GPZ500S instead.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:38 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

I'd have a GPZ500S even today, although not as an only bike. I like the controls and clocks and the 90s looks especially. And it's higher quality than the ER5. Bit of a giant-killer, that one, especially when encountering summer weekend warriors. Wink Holds it own on track days to this day, according to Youtube videos.

I could leave my mates SV650 for dust on mine unless you had a VERY long straight at which point the 5mph difference in outright top speed would come into play and it would very slowly reel you in after opening up a significant gap. But then you've been sitting at 125mph for 5 straigh minutes and are rapidly running out of road.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ER5 certainly isn't on the road any more. Throwing it up the road just off the A2 on the junction for Bluewater soon saw the end of it!

Was OK for s first bike, don't think I'd want another. That rear drum brake was shit in the wet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I could leave my mates SV650 for dust

I do that with my ER5 but that could have something to do with riding styles... Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
My ER5 certainly isn't on the road any more. Throwing it up the road just off the A2 on the junction for Bluewater soon saw the end of it!

Was OK for s first bike, don't think I'd want another. That rear drum brake was shit in the wet.

I thought the only good reason to have a drum was that the wet didn't make any difference to the operation?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1