Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wrong Oil Filter - For 2 Years - And nothing happened.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Wrong Oil Filter - For 2 Years - And nothing happened. Reply with quote

Does the type of oil filter really matter.

I've not changed the oil in a couple of years on my Z750 (it doesn't go far) and noticed I had a HF303 on it whereas it should have been a HF204.

Absolutely zero problems.

Does it really matter.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it fits and has the flow capacity I doubt it makes a lot of difference.

The filter manufacturers just make them to match the OEM so you get a load that will fit the same thread but are just a bit different in size.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:10 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it fitted? Nah.

Lots of oil filters are the same fitting but just longer or shorter. There are some bikes whose oil filters are no longer manufactured, but you can fit a bigger car filter instead, and the only difference is that it sticks out of the bottom or side of the bike a tad more than the OEM one.

So if it sealed properly and did not leak, I really don't see the issue. In fact, someone may have deliberately fitted the wrong one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intuitively, if it's too small, you might hurt oil flow a bit, but if it's too big, no bother. I guess you'd need an expert in hydrodynamics of the oil system and the tolerances of the oil filters to get an authoritative answer.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:46 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does matter.

Some aftermarket filters are only made to fit the filter housing, spin-on thread and or filter flange dimensions.

What is inside counts for a lot too.

Filter element construction is important.

It it the correct micron filtration, sufficient surface area to provide filtration between services and is the construction robust?
A filter element is important.

If you only fit one every six months then the cost of the OEM filter is of minimal consideration.

If you are fitting to a fleet then the savings are debatable.

It also depends on which aftermarket manufacturer you use too.

And there are many fakes of OEM and aftermarket.

I personally do not value the savings so fit OEM.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:45 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it screws on and seals then it's doing it's job. Personally I think that oil filter changes are quoted by the manufacturer on a 'play it safe' basis (and I don't blame them), in other words they can do a lot more work than the intervals suggest.

Being fastidious about changing out the oil is far more important than observing filter change intervals IMO.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder just how much 'extra' is engineered into a particular models oil filter.
I know that over time they slowly choke up and come service time they're still within tolerances for filtering efficiently.
I guess it's all a mix of genuine or not, style of riding, weather (temperature), age of bike etc etc.

For me I use genuine and change more often than what the service schedule says.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Makes me wonder just how much 'extra' is engineered into a particular models oil filter.
I know that over time they slowly choke up and come service time they're still within tolerances for filtering efficiently.
I guess it's all a mix of genuine or not, style of riding, weather (temperature), age of bike etc etc.

For me I use genuine and change more often than what the service schedule says.

There are lots of differences.
The weave of the element.
The way the weave is bonded or crimped together.
Whether the pleat shape is securured by additional reinforcements.
And cetera.
Dust not stopped by the air filter is burned and reduced to other compounds by combustion.
Fuel residue.
There are many compounds stopped by good filter elements.
It's not really a cost consideration when compared to the cost of the lubricant so I don't see a reason not to change.
The old filter should also be opened to look for shrapnel too.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have internal bypass valve as well.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Wrong Oil Filter - For 2 Years - And nothing happened. Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I've not changed the oil in a couple of years on my Z750 (it doesn't go far) and noticed I had a HF303 on it whereas it should have been a HF204.

Now this is off the top of my head so could be wrong.
The only real difference is a slightly different flow rate between the 2 filters as the 204 has a 10% or so reduced filtration area due to being about 1cm shorter. Otherwise the case is the same.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HF204 is just a stumpy version of HF303 i.e. the HF303 has a bigger filter
Both used on honda (also Kawasaki Yamaha and some triumphs !) many replace HF303 with the smaller HF204 with no issues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Re: Wrong Oil Filter - For 2 Years - And nothing happened. Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
kawakid wrote:

Now this is off the top of my head so could be wrong.
The only real difference is a slightly different flow rate between the 2 filters as the 204 has a 10% or so reduced filtration area due to being about 1cm shorter. Otherwise the case is the same.

Some manufacturers fit a non-standard filter to new equipment to pick up any wear-in bed-in particles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1