Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

somebody do some man maths for me.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:46 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: somebody do some man maths for me. Reply with quote

Has anyone given up on riding on the road and just gone to track day riding instead?
How expensive would once a month be on average? Having done a bit of car racing i know how those little things you never thought of can bit you on the ass!
Its just a little idea im formulating..

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to track website of your choice, price up a track day.

Neutral

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:01 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel, food, van running costs, cost of trackday etc.

For me one of the biggest costs is getting to the track, especially when it's somewhere like Cadwell Park which is pretty far away.

If you haven't already done a trackday I'm not sure why you'd want to do this... Do some trackdays, then work out the costs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m planning to make my 400 pretty much track only next year (subject to sorting bodywork). I will say van hire is expensive, and if buying a van you best make sure you do plenty of track days or you are basically pissing money up the wall. Then do you want to go as far as tyre warmers and wets and all that shite? It’s not as expensive as racing but it’s not far off if you jump into it properly.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I’m planning to make my 400 pretty much track only next year (subject to sorting bodywork). I will say van hire is expensive, and if buying a van you best make sure you do plenty of track days or you are basically pissing money up the wall. Then do you want to go as far as tyre warmers and wets and all that shite? It’s not as expensive as racing but it’s not far off if you jump into it properly.

I've been thinking of converting a van into a camper that I can throw the bike in and do similar, dual use then.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:14 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Re: somebody do some man maths for me. Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
Has anyone given up on riding on the road and just gone to track day riding instead?
How expensive would once a month be on average? Having done a bit of car racing i know how those little things you never thought of can bit you on the ass!

Ah I've just noticed it's you who hates riding your MT07 and wants a C90.... Trackdays aren't going to solve the problem. A FireBlade is not going to solve the problem. A C90 is not going to solve the problem.

You know what will solve the problem? Getting out on your Mt07, or test riding a tonne of other bikes until you find a big bike you DO like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should just play motorcycle video games - no risk! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Re: somebody do some man maths for me. Reply with quote

leolion wrote:

what's prompted this?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Re: somebody do some man maths for me. Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
leolion wrote:

what's prompted this?

He wants a Fireblade (actually, literally, not BCF-speak Laughing ), but his MT07 is too much for him.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:22 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man maths go like this:
Problem - 'hobby A' costs a lot but enthusiasm is gone, so its not worth the money.
Proposed Solution - 'hobby B' looks fun... also looks expensive... but then the money spent of Hobby A is mostly wasted anyway, so surely it cant be that bad?

Deliberation of the conundrum is pre-ordained to find in favour or Hobby B... whether its as expensive as you expect or not... just because THAT is what you 'think' you want to do... so costs will be justified or forgotten, one way or another! Be warned!!

In reality..... Expenditure Expands to Consume Funds Available... PLUS as much more as bank-manager, significant other, richer-relatives etc will allow.....

You have been warned!!!!

IF you go tracking, and the bug bites..... well, you'll never get enough... and one track-day a month will become two every six weeks, yeah well I know I did four in two months, but, I didn't do ANY all winter......

At this point actual club road-racing will 'seem' like a good idea, even though its apparently expensive... cos they have a club calendar, and you can see that there's 'only' Half a dozen race days or so a year, on their calendar, which should 'cap' the number of events you can actually do, and spend on.....

Yeah... then comes the practice sessions and taking days off work to go 'set up' the bike, and oooh... well, I could do that at an 'ordinary' track day...

And so the elasticity of the economics start to get tested.....Along the way of course they will already have been tested... every time some-one in the paddock suggests that actually you would be better off with 'propper' race tyres rather than that chitty road rubber... or you spot some-one with a tartier pair of rear-sets that are 'oh so essential' etc etc etc... and err.. yeah, tyre warmers suddenly become an absolute MUST HAVE item on the inventory.....

THAT is hobbies.... don't matter whether its motorbikes or course fishing, or golf or strangling a guitar.... IT COSTS and will cost as much as you let it, PLUS a bit.... till it starts to hurt....

And the more enthusiasm you have for your new found hobby, the more it gonna cost... the quicker that enthusiasm wanes... so the sooner much of it will have been wasted!!!

Answering your original question... ish.... twenty years ago, when first childling came along, the cost of nappies in bulk, and push-chairs that for some reason were more expensive than my dang car... made me revise my priorities... and motorbike, with only room for two, and not exactly baby compatible, was top target for criticism.....

Now... I parked up the VF-Thou and went back to trials riding... which is probably THE cheapest motor-sport there is in this country... unfortunately it is also one of the most prolific.... and the 'Season' runs from January 1st to December 31st, and most clubs tend to put on about 12 events a year.... but there's a LOT of clubs!!! "Well, each trial is only £5 an entry! What the heck!"

When I lived in the Don Valley, there were actually five trials clubs 'active' in the immediate region, and not just trials on a Sunday, but Saturdays as well, and bank-holidays, A-N-D 'evening-trials' mid-week, PLUS 'training days' and 'practice sessions'!!!! I think I worked out that after Easter, I could near enough do an event a bloomin DAY if I wanted, through till the autumn!

Hmmm..... Well, they are still only a fiver a time..... and how many of them could or would I really be able to tackle? Errr... yeah, well THERE'S a challenge!

In practice, when it came to it, I signed up first with my most local club, which conveniently had 'just' 12 events on its calendar a year... Oh-Kay, not so bad, one a month, and yeah, OK one is a 'two-day' event on a bank-holiday.... but still.....

Unfortunately they had their own quarry to go play in, with a few extra's squeezed into the calendar by way of 'training days' and more or less sanctioned 'practice sessions'....

Even MORE unfortunately.... they 'hosted' events for other clubs...... with entry by invitation to club-members.... ah... so that 12 event calendar, sort of started to mush-room with 'bolt-ons'....

A-N-D..... worse still, the hosted 'gypsy' trials by other clubs were intended to get a bit of cross pollination, and members of both clubs signing up to the other.... which I did!

I ended up riding pretty much fortnightly, with two regular clubs, PLUS the odd gypsy trial with any other on a 'free' Sunday, plus the practice sessions and training days.....

THIS IS NOT a great plan to try 'save' money.... or squeeze the juice from an existing 'spend.

Parking up the VF-Thou.... well, primia-facia, I 'saved' the tax and insurance, and yes, that DID go an awful long way to covering the costs of entries for a year in trials...

In fact, it probably saved enough to pay for an entire season, 'all in' with just the one club, IF I had been a bit stricter on that.

But, as warned... expenditure expands to consume all funds available, PLUS a bit.....

B-U-T VF-Thou.... it was NOT the cheapest road bike to try and run from the outset! And whilst not paying the tax and insurance on the thing, did cover the costs of the club dues and entry fees, plus some, on the trials bike, and not having to replace tyres every 15oo miles went a long way to paying for the petrol and broken mudguards and chit..... an AWFUL lot of that, was actually showing just how much money I 'wasted' on the road bike....... it WAS an expensive indulgence from the beginning...

So we are starting the voodoo maths from a falecie before we begin, and that is that the spend on the road bike, is somehow 'a given' and that that money is available for something else.... in fact, in my case, as it was a second vehicle, what the road-bike cost to run, was NOT a given,it was 100% over and above what I actually needed to spend, and hence 'leisure-expenditure' like going down the pub, or a holiday in Malorca....

Fact I used it to get to and from work... no... NOT really much justification to say that I 'HAD' to spend that money.... I didn't, and if I really wanted to save money, I'd have caught the bus, or bought a push-bike....

And we are into degrees of 'kiddology' trying to justify how shifting one waste of money for another waste of money, is in SOME way 'saving' money....

It's not.... its like when the now ex came back from the super-market, clutching three enormous bottles of cooking oil, and a box of chocolates, and tried to explain that even though she'd spent an extra £30, this was in some way 'saving' because the cooking oil was on offer, three for two... so she'd got one for 'free'.... err no, you spent twice what you needed, to get three times as much as you wanted... BUT some-how, you 'saved' money! Which you felt so good about, meant you thought that that 'saving' some-how paid for the chocolates!!!

You do NOT 'save' money by spending money... you SAVE money by NOT spending money... and 'SAVINGS' are something in the bank, NOT in your head..... or at least real-ones are!!!

MORE WARNING, that is the trap, the Three-For-Two-Deal.... getting you to spend more money than you would, or need, but molifying you with some passifier to make you believe that it was worth while, and you DID actually get value for it....

Ultimately its a spend switch; not a 'saving', and like the supermarket offering the 3 for 2 deal, it 'might' help you save money... IF you dont just use the extra bottle of cooking oil twice as quick, cos you seem to have 'loads', A-N-D you actually like the chocolates....

ULTIMATELY!!!!

That's the crap you have to cut to..... IF you want to go tracking, whether track-days or actual racing, its a spend shift,and a new pursuit.

If the Road-bike, is justified on how much it would cost to get to work... back up, and look at the actual cost of getting to work, and what the actual CHEAPEST way to work would be..... cos you are likely already into kiddolgy kidding yourself how much that bike is 'saving' you to get to work every day, rather than using... oooh,. lets say a 12mpg Bentley!

Start the ecconomics there, with what would be the cheapest way to work; if you cut back all unessential spend, what could you really 'save' as in actually put in the deposit account at the bank....

Then, with some idea of how much you are already 'wasting' on the luxury of leisure activity... ponder how much pleasure you actually get for your pound.....

THEN... with a clear idea of how much you are spending on 'fun' and how much fun you actually get for your money.... do you really think that the 'switch' to tracking, will deliver more? It will almost certainly cost you more one way or another... BUT, is that real actual 'value' from your money?

And think here; five minutes of open road 'fun' tagged on your daily commute, a dozen times a year when the sun-shines.... compared to just one, twenty minute session at say Cadwell? THEN compare that amount of fun, to what ELSE you could do for the same money... like the holiday in malorca, or a week-end at a health spa in the lake district, or whatever.....

And after you have stammered, and muttered,and decided you aren't interested in any of trhat chit, and this ISN'T answering the question, we are back-to-top, and degrees of delusion... in how you kid yourself that tracking or switching to any other sort of hobby HAS to be a good idea and pay for itself, for little other reason than that is what you want to do, and the answer you want to get to......

Remember... expenditure expands to consume the funds available PLUS a bit...... sorry but it be your maths... fudge it how you like... indulge in as much creative accountancy as you think you can get past management... BUT, remember.... savings are something that makes the balance in the deposit account go UP, not down....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are one of the only things that some mature men still approach with a certain level of fantasy, even as complete beginners.

Suppose you're interested in some obscure Oriental martial art. You want to go to Japan or China, find a wizened, invincible master with a long beard who lives in a forest as a hermit for some reason. He asks you to demo your skills, and he's so impressed he tells you you're a natural, one born in every 1000 years, your coming was predicted in an ancient Buddhist scroll revered by a secret order of warrior monks, and you are the reincarnation of the great Lotus-Born One from ancient times. He conveys to you the secrets of the martial art which he deems your birthright, and you immediately acquire the skill. He then deems you a grandmaster right then and there on the spot, and gives you a special dragon tattoo or something, and a black belt, before telling you his life's work is complete. How likely is that?? It's a theme of many an 80s/90s B-movie and a pubescent/adolescent fantasy of many at the time. As an adult man in 2019, presumably well into maturity, you would be a complete idiot to even imagine this could ever happen in the real world.

What does this mean? Every skill, great or small, rare or commonplace, has a learning curve, and you have to progress along it in stages or you'll never acquire it. It doesn't matter how old you are or how good at driving a truck you think you are. Even if you are a legit kung fu master, it doesn't mean you can ride a motorbike safely and enjoyably just because the next man, whom you deem beneath you and common, can do it. You have to work your way up because you're a beginner in that skillset. Funny enough, everyone who's actually tried to study a martial art knows this. You walk into that room knowing nothing, you are the noob, everything you do and say is at noob level, you can chat and joke with whomever you like but you are not one of them because you haven't made yourself into one of them by learning the ropes. It takes humility, time and commitment. You can't just buy yourself a black belt from Ebay and expect to be taken seriously (well, you can do what you like but it won't work). There are some things you can't buy on Ebay. You can buy the sign pointing to that thing, but that's all. If that sign points to an underlying reality, then it is correct. If, however, it points to Timbuktu in Bedfordshire, then it is not, and you can't get no satisfaction (hence, your "MT-07").

Going to a track for the first time, you will need instruction and to join a beginner's group. You haven't even tried it or put your foot on the ladder, but you're already talking about it as if it's a hobby you can just decide to adopt and which you will be able to sustain and enjoy. Presumably, "anyone" can do it and because you feel awesome, you already know you'll enjoy doing it on a monthly basis?

Last edited by Bhud on 14:59 - 27 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:58 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hit 'post reply' to see what Bhud and Tef responded with. Regretted it immediately. At least it vindicated my choice to keep them on 'enemy'.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:44 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Re: somebody do some man maths for me. Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
How expensive would once a month be on average?

How long is a piece of string?

You'll need a van or trailer to get to the track. You'll need a ticket for the trackday. You'll need petrol for the bike and it will need enough maintenance so that it doesn't break during a trackday.

You can spend hundreds or thousands or even tens of thousands on top of that if you want. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Re: somebody do some man maths for me. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
leolion wrote:
How expensive would once a month be on average?

How long is a piece of string?

You'll need a van or trailer to get to the track. You'll need a ticket for the trackday. You'll need petrol for the bike and it will need enough maintenance so that it doesn't break during a trackday. You'll need someone who can ride it.

FTFY Razz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:51 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bit is optional. Thumbs Up

OP needs to go on a trackday before making any more plans.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Can you do a track day on a C90?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:02 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:06 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:

plop enduro..

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:03 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
No.

I'm not so sure... what are the regs on BMF moped-mania these days?

ISTR that it was 50cc two-stroke or 70cc four-stroke... so maybe not a C90, but probably a C70, would be eligible.... And what are the regs these days in the esoteric world of scooter-racers?

If it passes ACU regs and scrutineering, and you hold an ACU Road-Race licence, you almost certainly could track one at a practice-day.... in fact, there doesn't even have to be a specific 'class' for the thing offered by any of the ACU affiliated clubs, as long as it has a lock-wired sump-plug and operable kill-switch and 'stuff' as required by the book in the 'general regulations'.

Not sure even the scooteristi are quite THAT mad... maybe a charioteer.... no... maybe not even one of them..... B-U-T.... possible, none the less!

Actually, not to diss the scooteristi too much, I knew a chap once, who 'used' to race in the eLCie leagues... sat in the paddock having blown and bent the thing up yet-a-friggin-gain, and wondering how he could afford to mend it... optimistically for the next race, let alone the next season, which would still have been a bit of a challenge..... he got talking to the Dad of the lad in the next parking spot, who he'd assiduously avoided, when he spotted the Lambretta.....

He never really admitted exactly what happened next.. or why.... but he came home without eLCie wreckage.... with a stripped down Lambretta!!! The 'logic' that he was apparently sold on, was third class scooting beats first class spectating.... and an unbent and ready to race scooter, in zero-cash swap for his eLCie scrap, would get him back on the track least cash least hassle, for the next meet.....and two seasons later he was in his words, still having a hoot-on-dee-skoot, and the VFR400 project bike he'd acquired with notions of getting back into 'proper' racing, was his road bike... he used to regularly lap Mallory in around a minute on the vagina-dryer thing too, and set race times on it faster than he did on the eLCie! They DON'T hang about these loooooooonatics, despite having only slightly better grip on reality than the charioteer's ballast!

If you read the ACU hand-book, there are actually a whole ruck of regs and exemptions for the 'budget' classes, like the old Bantam/MZ or scooter classes, that used to be the way to go road-racing on a shoe-string, and quite likely are still as or more permissive than Track-Day regs that are pretty much down to the organisers discretion and prejudices....

ISTR a controversy a few years ago with a chap turning up to a track-day on essentially a Super-Sport 600 class prepped ZXR6, and the organisers chucking their regs at him, not wanting to let him ride, because they only wanted 'street-legal' motorcycles with tax and MOT on them... and his bike, a 'retired' road-racer, was actually street-legal under the MOT exceptions for a machine adapted for off-road use, so no lights etc.... I also STR he won a phyrric victory, in as much as by the time the organisers had debated the matter and agreed, the bike was within the terms of entry.... it was too late to allocate him a slot... and I think he got a voucher for another date....

B-u-t.... there-in lies a moral; 'proper' as in ACU mandated road-racing, is moderated by the ACU, and a very well published set of rules and regs, the race day organisers cant really argue (much) with... Track days aren't, and the organisers effectively can do what they like, and whether you will get a ride, if they don't like the cut of your jib, and whether you'll get your money back if they don't... Is pretty much in the lap-of.

PERSONALLY, I found track riding rather, (To cries of HERETIC!) boring... riding around and around in circles going no where.... as long as you don't fall off.... and that hurts... and tends to get expensive!!

Trials, to my sense of, was far more interesting; we tended to get a whole lot more riding for our money for starters; events started typically around 10am, and went on till about 2pm, give or take, and you tended to get a good two hours actual course time in there ...or more, depending how much you fell off.... I tended to get quite a LOT of time-on-track for my money!!LOL!!! And there's a lot more opportunity to crash, which still tends to hurt, especially if you happen to be at the top of a 30foot cliff at the time..... but usually rather cheaper to sort out after!

And the course 'changed' every lap, as other riders went through and the surface got churned up, even if it wasn't a 'split' event with maybe three laps clockwise before lunch, then three more counter-clock after, or alternate sections subbed in, or re-arranged as the event progressed.

Which does beg suggestion; that there IS more to biking than just riding public roads or tear-arsing around in ever decreasing circles on tarmac tracks... there's a whole plathora of bike-sport that might be explored, including Observed-Section-Trials, and Moped Mania racing, pit-bikes and mini-moto, Moto-Gym-Khana, Grass-Track and Speed-Way, Enduro and Scrambles, to name but a few of them, and a lot of these alternative disciplines can be as much or more 'fun' in their own way, than road-riding or road-racing... all depends on your aspirations and approach really....

My here and now advice on that score, then is to not discount ANYthing.... grab a copy of MCN, and ask the news-agents to order you a copy of T&MX weekly; go look at the ACU webby, and find the clubs-list, and go look at each clubs webbies, do the same with the BMF, and get an idea of just how many motorcycle 'events' whether purely sporting, like road-race or scrambles, or more social, like the rallies and meets and shows there are thoughout the year... grab a calender and pencil the more interesting looking ones on it.... THEN go to a few, probably as purely a spectator... see what the action is, see if you like it, have a natter with the nutters that do it, and get a feel for what its all about, and whether its worth a go..... then, with your research done... you can start to plan whether taking the plunge to participate is something worth having a crack at, and if so how to go about that, over the winter for 'next' season.....

Good odds, that after spectating umpety different types of event, you actually WONT feel the desire to have a go at any of them..... BUT, the fact that finding them events and actually going to a few, gets you out on the road-bike, going places you wouldn't otherwise go, and seeing stuiff you otherwise wouldn't.... and THAT on it's own is often 'enough' to fill the void of doing the same old over and over, that begs the urge to rekindle or find a new interest....

If not... well, you have had a good few outings, have experienced and or witnessed a lot of stuff you otherwise wouldn't, and had a lot of biking for your summer for it.... and at least know what you DON'T like, even if not inspired to something you might like!

Either way about its win-win.... and if you dont have the time or money for this sort of sight seeing? Well, you were probably onto a looser from the start, thinking you could go tracking!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If it passes ACU regs and scrutineering, and you hold an ACU Road-Race licence, you almost certainly could track one at a practice-day"

Yeah you could, if the organisers would let a C90 on the track at the same time as all the big bikes. Laughing

The only time a C90 will get on track is as part of moped racing as they're allowed in lots of the moped race series.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:55 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yeah you could, if the organisers would let a C90 on the track at the same time as all the big bikes. Laughing

'Big Bikes'? And 'organisers'... Hmmm I think there be the first bit of prejudice at a typical track-day; the organiser's expectation, likely for bikes like 'they' either do, or would like to ride on the road.. in which anything smaller than a 600 is probably derided either a learner-bike or commuter!

Under ACU regs, AFAIK they still list the regs for the 'tiddler' classes of 50's, 80's, and 125's as well as the regs for stuff like the skootah's... and IF there's a class, and if the bike meets regs, they HAVE to let it run....

By that sanction, I'd probably lock-wire the sump, add a kill switch and catch bottle, and say that I intended racing it in 250 proddy...... it might not stand a snowball in hells, against even a old Honda 250T with a slack cam-chain and dodgy shocks... but, under 250cc and the biggest selling 'production' bike, like EVA... made complaint to standing regs with an independent kill switch, catch bottle and lock-wired sump-plug.... the scrutineers would PROBABLY try and dissued me.... but, it would be an good barney to actually refuse me on the track!

Most likely, they'd look at the thing, and do a quick rough reckoner to decide what 'group' it would be best to let it out with in practice, and ISTR many years ago, I think, an actual EMRA event at Mallory, in all probability, an argy bargy at scrutineerig with a chap with an old Bantum, who to get an extra signature on his ticket entered the 125 'open' class with it against Kridlers and MBK's and the like....

I think that a 125 GP bike still holds the outright lap-record at Mallory, posting a faster time on class permitted slicks than the big-bruisers, in the higher classes, limited to moulded road-rubber, by proddy regs... certainly it was faster than the 600 and 750s!

But they let the bantum out on track.... and I'm pretty sure he actually qualified! But still....I also seem to remember the scrutineers at the gate pointing him out to other 125'ers, and offering 'warning'... B-U-T they let him race!

Under ACU regs, they used to boast that they had a class for 'anything', and it's not far from true; but like sticking a C90 into 250 proddy... whether anything you tried race would be even back-pack competative or stand chance of actually getting a placing not being lapped, is another matter.... B-U-T...

Clubbie 500 GP class used to be rather good to watch, and attracted a very eclectic field at times. And with over the counter 500's a bit thin on the ground, you used to get a very diverse mix of shed-built-specials, and classics, as well as a gaggle of make-weights using the class to get an extra race on their days dance-card.

There would be a number of 500 singles, usually dirt-bike based, like a Yamie XT500 motor or Honda XL500 lump, shoe horned into something like a TZ125 frame, or a home made shed-build, up against older classic 'racers' like a Matchless G50, or Norton Inter, and more home-brew specials, with pretty much any combination of frames or power-plants... like one I recall, that attracted a lot of paddock interest, based on an old Suzuki GT500 two-stroke 'twin' motor with a semi monochoch aluminium frame....

Two-strokes, four-strokes, singles, twins, triples, fours, more or less exotic 'prototypes' or straight off the shelf 'proddy' tackle, like a TZ350 or RG500, they were all there... on track at the same time, permitted by the class regs....

And what WAS actually interesting about it was that the most up-to-datest, and the most you-must-be-aving-a-laff-ist, of them, usually didn't perform as well or badly as you'd assume; and there'd often be three or four actual races going on at the same time, with a little gaggle in the front runners, a couple having a duel in the back-markers, and 'something' going on in the midfield; often a grudge match between a duo on disparate machines, like a G50 vs an old air-cooled RD400, or an XT-TZ 500 single vs a lumpy-cam Ariel....

Often as interesting as the battle on the track, was the argy-bhagi between the riders/builders, at the snack shak before and after, with pundits expounding handling over power or the merits of 6 leading shoe drum brakes over discs etc....

You know.... always astounded me, the old adage that "when the Flag Drops... the bullshit STOPS!"... well, IME 'briefly'.... I always thought it more true that when the chequred flag drops... that's when the bullshit STARTS... with all the wrong kind of leaf on the line excuses for why a rider/bike didn't win..lol... but still

Back sort of on topic... I think it probable that you could get a C90 on track, under ACU regs, one way or another, either at a practice session or actual race meet.... whether any-one would be nuts enough to actually WANT to? Well, back to the skoota-nutters and the charioteers, I think!!!! They MUST be M-A-D.... but whether there's anyone THAT mad, is another matter! IME there just HAS to be some-one nuts enough, but whether they are nuts enough to want to, and deturmined enough to actually do it... well, that's pretty thin odds, I think! lol. But, you NEVER know.... the degree of oddity displayed at a clubbie meet would suggest it just CANNOT be ruled out!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef, mention of the budget class slipping through with less regulation: I once watched a race at what is now the Teesside Autodrome. It was on the short kart track but bikes around 250 cc. Full of Elsies but there was a single MZ and it wooped an awful lot of ass that day.

Just saying - it's not always about having an expensive bike and more about the experience... if you can ride one.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else think Teffers found track riding boring because he was slow as shit?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anyone else think Teffers found track riding boring because he was slow as shit?

Dunno, but he sure does like typing Neutral

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Dunno, but he sure does like typing Neutral

Perhaps he's got a copy of Dragon Dictate or similar - it would explain the stream of consciousness content of his posts... Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2