Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Which bike?" Thread - Cruiser Edition

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: "Which bike?" Thread - Cruiser Edition Reply with quote

So straight after passing my theory test last week I've booked in some training for the full bike test next week and already I'm thinking of what bike to get when I pass Very Happy

I don't want to go too nuts to start with so what one would call "A2 Friendly" bike would be sufficient (~400cc.)

New (i.e. on finance) the Honda Rebel and HD Street 750 look good for the money. But I'm completely clueless (yes, I know I could end the sentence there!) about second hand cruisers.

Vulcans, Viragos, Dragstars and Shadows? Well they all look very nice but I have no idea how well they do long term. Please enlighten me Very Happy

<addendum>

Needs to be good for the ULEZ... bugger Sad

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:28 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find one that's been ridden very few miles, only in decent weather, by a bloke having a mid-life crisis, and that has the income to have someone else do all the servicing.

They make up a significant portion of the market, you shouldn't have an issue. I'd wait until it's better "buyers" weather though - damp and drizzly will depress prices. Coming into summer, it's generally easier to sell and people will be looking to buy. Cruisers are probably affected more than any other segment.

Only buy new/on finance if you're going to run it to the death. For your first "big" bike, that's unlikely, you'll likely change your mind a few times before you settle.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:33 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest opinion of the 750 Street was that it felt cheap and unwilling to 'make progress' and corner at the same time.

It felt really... Super underwhelming.

Managed to get a go on a pretty new one near Lakeside and I didn't enjoy it at all, even went in with a completely open mind as it wasn't full gayfag cruiser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:12 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pre reg or lightly used honda rebel is a good call.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:20 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices vary a great deal depending on make. In some cases you may be better off with a brand new bike on PCP instead of a 2 year old one. PCP deals on new bikes can have quite attractive offers, and some bikes (most Harleys) depreciate very slowly.

Also consider the moto guzzi v7 for your list. An early ULEZ compliant one will be around £3k. New they cost too much.

It is the kind of bike where you find a secondhand one which is a one owner, low miles, full service history jobby for a fair price. Very popular among gentlemen of a certain age getting back into riding.

Out of the Japanese offerings, the only one I know anything about from the modern crop is the Kawasaki Vulcan 650, which uses the ER6 engine in a cruiser chassis. A friend at work bought one new, its OK but not great, clearly a budget bike.

If you are seriously looking at the Harley 750, just get an 883. I absolutely loved my 883R and it is one of the few bikes with a huge amount of tuning and customising parts available to get it just how you want it. I got mine just right, then it got nicked.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly restricted on 'new' cruisers these days, although, beginning to see an increased range again.

Looking at 2nd hand, you can't go far wrong with a VT700, however, I had a VTX1300, and a cracking bike it was, stepson, now has 1. Before that he had an XVS650, again, good bike, no real issues to speak of, plus, you can get them 2nd hand in good nick pretty cheaply. You can also pick up a Hyosung ST7, or, if you prefer GV650 relatively cheaply, the ST7, is very reminiscent of the Honda Shadow, it's belt driven, which are expensive come replacement time, but, you can get a plug & play chain conversion set. The ST7, and, I believe, the GV650, are quite nippy machines for 'cruisers'.

I wouldn't touch a Triump America though, based on personal experience

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moto Guzzi V7 looks interesting in "you can't have what you want but you can have this!" kind of way. And the 883 looks very awesome but, along with the V7, a bit out of my price range. Gives me something to letch over at the dealers while waiting for a bargain to turn up Smile

Add to that the Vulcan and I'm starting to see a general theme of cruisers just being "bigger bikes."

The Honda Shadows all look very nice but ULEZ means nothing pre-2016 or have I got that wrong?

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:08 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley Street Rod 750 - 70 bhp about same as (maybe slightly more hp) than a stock Harley 48 1200cc

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw the 400cc thing, go balls deep for a Suzuki M1800R, or a nice Vmaxx.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulphur wrote:

So go from never riding a bike to > 1 litre in 6 months... sounds sensible Rolling Eyes

Let's set a limit of 8 bags just to keep the conversation polite Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 04:34 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
sulphur wrote:

So go from never riding a bike to > 1 litre in 6 months... sounds sensible Rolling Eyes

Let's set a limit of 8 bags just to keep the conversation polite Smile

Aside from the Vmax, I can't see a problem with 1000cc+ aside from being worried. It's only as fast as you make it and if anything having extra horses for those overtakes is great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a dealership and see a street 750, they seem comically small.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

I'm only 5'5" might get away with it. Certainly I've seen a few > 6' ppl reviewing the Rebel and they looked a bit odd.

Okay, so let's flesh out the spec:

- Daily commute ~15 miles
- Regular runs up the A3 + London streets
- Motorways almost never
- ULEZ friendly
- Shortarse friendly Smile
- Style > Speed!
- Easy to wrestle in and out of my front garden (lighter would be better)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:28 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

I'm only 5'5" might get away with it. Certainly I've seen a few > 6' ppl reviewing the Rebel and they looked a bit odd.

- Motorways almost never
- ULEZ friendly
- Style > Speed!

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:32 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

- Motorways almost never
- ULEZ friendly
- Style > Speed!

First thing - avoid anything Chinese and go for Japanese.

If you're small, then a Virago is a very small bike for a cruiser and it'll be a doddle to ride. It's fairly reliable and looks reasonably OK. 550cc bike is fine for what you've listed above.

Vulcan - I've seen the 750cc and they're nice bikes. Kawasaki make a good bike when it comes to cruisers and they're reasonably reliable but get one with low mileage that's been looked after.

Dragstar - Excellent bike. I had an 1100 and it was great but for your needs, the 650cc version will be fine. I'd recommend these above all the others for both looks and reliability.

Shadow - OK bikes but personally I prefer the Dragstar. Reliability is on a par but looks-wise the Dragstar is probably the best.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virago... remind me, when was the last one produced? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a bike need to be Euro 4 (or at least a really good Euro 3) to enter the ULEZ for free?

So far I think the valid suggestions are:

Honda Rebel: 33.5kW/44.6Nm, 190kg, £5699
HD Street 750: 43kW/59Nm, 223kg, £6045
Kwak Vulcan S: 45kW/63Nm, 229kg, £6449
Yammy XV950R: 40kW/79.5Nm, 252kg, £8699
HD Iron 883: 38kW/73Nm, 247kg, £8895

Honorable mention:

Moto Guzzi V7 III: 38kW/60Nm, 189kg, £8699

All list prices, obviously it'd be nice to find a second hand one in October on a stormy day for half the price Wink

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:41 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Virago... remind me, when was the last one produced? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a bike need to be Euro 4 (or at least a really good Euro 3) to enter the ULEZ for free?

So far I think the valid suggestions are:

Honda Rebel: 33.5kW/44.6Nm, 190kg, £5699
HD Street 750: 43kW/59Nm, 223kg, £6045
Kwak Vulcan S: 45kW/63Nm, 229kg, £6449
Yammy XV950R: 40kW/79.5Nm, 252kg, £8699
HD Iron 883: 38kW/73Nm, 247kg, £8895

Honorable mention:

Moto Guzzi V7 III: 38kW/60Nm, 189kg, £8699

All list prices, obviously it'd be nice to find a second hand one in October on a stormy day for half the price Wink

Apols ... I forgot the ULEZ scam

Personally I'd go for either the Yamaha Bolt or the HD. The HD is expensive but it's so easy to customise, parts are widely available and can be customised. The Yamaha Bolt is similar looking and reliable but just doesn't sound as good.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a lot of money to spend on shit bikes imo, possible exception being the yammy.

Why 'cruiser' out of interest?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Why 'cruiser' out of interest?

cos fag, obviously

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

<= Short-Arse

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I'm really loving my faux-cruiser. Sure, it handles and accelerates like a 3 legged pig, is relatively heavy for a 125 and is as reliable as you'd expect a bike made from Chinesium but I have a disturbing affection for it anyway.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:56 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody mentioning Triumph?

Bonneville speedmaster/Bobber? Feet-forwards custom-ish type style. Probably way more practical than most.

Is the Thunderbird ULEZ compliant? One metric fucktonne of motorcycle right there.

EDIT: Stop being a pussy and get a fucking Diavel.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
<= Short-Arse

You know that a lot of bikes have lowering conversion kits available?

Off that list above, the moto guzzi is probably the most appealing to me personally.

Might be worth looking at the vit/svartpilen from husqvarna, if you're after something different. They do a 401 and 701 version of each which is the ktm duke 390/690 engine.

Otherwise stick to your cruisers Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:04 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you go look at and sit on an Enfield Interceptor 650. Have a test ride once you pass.

It's not a cruiser but if you think you like cruisers, I reckon you'll enjoy one. They are narrow so easy to foot-down. Not overpowered, very comfy. Look good. Cheap, you could likely get a new one for the price of some second hand cruisers.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

obvious you gon do what you gon do, despite the advice from any member on here but imo getting a cruiser because you're 'short' isn't an excuse. There are much much better bikes for similar money that wont be as compromised. just my 2p though
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3